US road trip

2»

Comments

• OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,486
    Forum Member
    Wow what an inspiring thread, I so want to do a USA road trip.

In fact my partner and I have a VISA appointments at the USA embassy next week. My partner is being being transferred to the North Carolina office and we both hope to get 3 year visas although I wont be able to work - shame!!

So many plans for vacations once I get there - and a road trip is right up there!

Ooo I envy you.
    We are planning to do a road trip in the USA every year at least once until we physically can't! But we'll still only do a fraction of it I suppose:eek:
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,486
    Forum Member
    Oh and to the OP - the extras of the Sat Nav are the best feature - we take our own (a Garmin) and when we do trips we like to use the traditional road maps (I like to see the overview of where we are not just the route we are taking) but when we're tired or at the end of the day, you need to know if the next town/collection of buildings has somewhere to stay and somewhere to eat.
    The Sat Nav came into it's own then, particularly on Route 66 where there are a lot of abandoned and ghost towns. We could check with the Sat Nav if we could stop at the next place or drive on (in some places that could mean an extra 40-50 miles!)
  • pinkyponk34pinkyponk34 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flying to Chicago in May, pick up hire car, doing a round trip, up through Wisconsin, down into Michigan, picking out a couple of Amish Communities in North Ohio, then to Cleveland, down to Charleston, west to St. Louis, follow Route 66 to Tulsa, north to Nebraska, then East into Iowa { try to find Buddy Holly's crash site memorial ] then back to Chicago.

Planning to do 300 miles a day, but will end up doing maybe 4000 miles in 13 days, avoiding the Interstates as much as possible and going on the A roads.

Using mainly Motel 6 and Super 8 for low cost lodging.