Christmas Food Shopping ( Panic Stations )

occyoccy Posts: 65,045
Forum Member
✭✭
As the big supermarkets shut up shop Christmas Eve until I don't know when Boxing Day Monday? Then will people need to buy 15 pints of milk, and 20 loafs of bread, because this country goes mad for two days. Average house hold wastes tonnes of food over the festive period. So I think people need to think and stop being greedy. :D

Bah Humbug:)

Comments

• charmingbillycharmingbilly Posts: 1,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never understood the need for panic buying - it's only for a day, two at the most when shops will be shut.
  • Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Um boxing day is sunday, & Sainsburys are defnitely open, there is one quite near everyone. Not to mention the local Co op/Londis bein open on xmas day even!
    It riles me all this panic buying. Unless we go to war & have to go down into bunkers, I will not be 'panic' buying! Mostly because my freezer is tiny & I cant afford to buy loads of everything anyway! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tesco closes at 19.00hrs on Christmas Eve and reopens at 10.00hrs on the 26th, so only closed for 39 hours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elke21 wrote: »
    Tesco closes at 19.00hrs on Christmas Eve and reopens at 10.00hrs on the 26th, so only closed for 39 hours.

Ridiculo isn't it. I guess I can understand people freezing som bread, but geez, everything else, get a grip!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ridiculo isn't it. I guess I can understand people freezing som bread, but geez, everything else, get a grip!
    Even if someone ran out of bread, they would hardly starve to death. People panic for no reason. And as the OP said, so much food is wasted. The majority of people vastly over-cater for Christmas as it is.
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dont forget the snow!

That makes people panic buy too :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if someone ran out of bread, they would hardly starve to death. People panic for no reason. And as the OP said, so much food is wasted. The majority of people vastly over-cater for Christmas as it is.

I was actually thinking about the waste a few weeks back when we had the snow here. It was really short lived & I was chuckling about the people that spent extra when they didn't need to. Seeing the bread aisle empty at work made me sad to be British! lol
    I buy a few extra chocs & mince pies for me at christmas. But my kids wont eat all that christmas junk food anway, & I wouldn't have a clue how long to boil a ham & am going out to xmas dinner, so I am lucky :D
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    You can never have too many Brussel Sprouts! :D
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I avoid supermarkets anyway.

I made bread last week and shoved it in the freezer with some milk, got the meat on order from the butcher last week so I just have to cycle over and collect it on Thursday morning (yummy ham which I'll slow cook and that'll keep cold for ages) and I'll wander to the Saturday market for veg which I'll put in the dark shed in the cold and that'll keep fine until New Year. And yes I work full time but I manage, if I don't have it, we won't eat it!

Sorted :D

We've become an on-demand society with a lazy attitude, people didn't die or starve before supermarkets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shadow27 wrote: »

We've become an on-demand society with a lazy attitude, people didn't die or starve before supermarkets.
    Or before 24/7 opening hours
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can never have too many Brussel Sprouts! :D

Well, that's true enough, I friggin love the things!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow27 wrote: »
    I avoid supermarkets anyway.

I made bread last week and shoved it in the freezer with some milk, got the meat on order from the butcher last week so I just have to cycle over and collect it on Thursday morning (yummy ham which I'll slow cook and that'll keep cold for ages) and I'll wander to the Saturday market for veg which I'll put in the dark shed in the cold and that'll keep fine until New Year. And yes I work full time but I manage, if I don't have it, we won't eat it!

Sorted :D

It's to do with 24 hour opening I think.
    Saying about the bread making, during the snow we sold loads more bread flour (lol @ me spelling it flower, before I noticed) in the online dept that week. It's a good idea...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps some of us just don't like going shopping over the Christmas period !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it hilarious watching people work up a sweat pushing a trolley-load round the supermarket.

A lot just buy everything in sight, whether they need it or not.

And there's always a bit of a fisticuffs over the last ham joint! :D
  • toastietoastie Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen people dragging round two trolleys, one in each hand before. Really anybody would think the shops are shut for two months not two days, I do find it quite amusing.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And.... what is so wonderful about figs or dates at Christmas time? They are available all year round, same price and same package, with shelves full of them, yet at this time of the year they are always sold out.

Only wanted some dates for my walnut & date cake, and had to go to 3 different shops.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    toastie wrote: »
    I've seen people dragging round two trolleys, one in each hand before. Really anybody would think the shops are shut for two months not two days, I do find it quite amusing.:D
    I saw that this evening in Sainsbury's - and I bet the lady concerned will do another mega-shop before Christmas weekend!:D
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    As the big supermarkets shut up shop Christmas Eve until I don't know when Boxing Day Monday? Then will people need to buy 15 pints of milk, and 20 loafs of bread, because this country goes mad for two days. Average house hold wastes tonnes of food over the festive period. So I think people need to think and stop being greedy. :D

Bah Humbug:)

Doesn't everyone have a Tesco Metro within 10 feet of their door? I know I do.
  • renard grisrenard gris Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, if you think the panic buying is going to be bad this Christmas, I wonder what it will be like in December 2012!!:eek:
  • HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    I love sprouts -especially the baby ones :o

I'm supplying the veg for Xmas lunch this year, yet again! I do get p***ed off when I go to Tesco on Xmas eve, just to get carrots, parships, sprouts and cabbage, and have to queue for absolutely AGES for only 4 items! I've tried buying them in advance, but they don't keep as nice. I've tried shopping a couple of days earlier at silly o'clock, but they tend not to have stock in. I work full time so I can't go during the day.

Queuing up to pay, I spend a bit of time studying what other people have in their baskets/trollies. It is amazing how much could have been bought earlier (i.e. stuff like crisps peanuts and other nibbles), and the quantities of fresh stuff (bread and milk etc) people need for just 1 day when the shops are shut!
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That may as well be 39 days the way some people go crazy in the supermarket. I can understand the mentality of do a very big shop for the festive period so you don't need to go again, but I do think a good percentage of food items bought for Christmas go to waste. I wonder if people will take into account the increased food costs and do the same this year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    Tesco Metro is 24 hours drive away from my door!

Don't panic buy for any reason, but have today stocked up on basics - ****, wine, water and food for the animals. This is an essential annual thing for 'Winter, Up a Mountain, Middle of Nowhere'! Minimum requirement: two weeks supplies; six has been known...

Currently cannot subside rations from the vegetable garden. Cannot get the fork in the soil by 1cm! Rescued the Brussells though!
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    It really is mad isn't it!! We just do our normal weekly shop and then the stuff for the Christmas dinner. I buy sweets for christmas in the run up. It does annoy me I have to queue for half an hour or so more than normal just to get my usual weeks shop.
  • SwanGirlSwanGirl Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I can say is thank god for Tesco home delivery! My mother has MS and has difficulty walking and when we went to Tesco on Xmas Eve last year, some clown started bashing the back of her legs with a trolley because she wasn't moving fast enough!
  • wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Shock, horror...how will the nation cope??!!:eek:

Ever heard of freezers? Milk lasts a week in a fridge these days. Buy part-baked bread, nothing like freshly baked bread. For god sake use some gump!:rolleyes: