Benefit Fraud vs. Tax Evasion

13»

Comments

• Options
    HeresyIsFreedomHeresyIsFreedom Posts: 3,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    Some might say reduce their tax liability and make this country a place people consider doing business in.

Some people might say we could fly on a Pegasus to the end of the rainbow and a leprechaun will give us a pot of gold for free; because that's about as credible in believing in "trickle-down".
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people might say we could fly on a Pegasus to the end of the rainbow and a leprechaun will give us a pot of gold for free; because that's about as credible in believing in "trickle-down".

Book my place on the flying horse then, because if alternative is "grab up" I don't forsee the money hanging around for long.

If I was seriously minted and thought I was being taxed beyond a level I deemed appropriate I'd be off and I bet the vast majority would do the same if they were being honest.

If you want to see if "trickle down" can work then you've got to give those with the money the incentive to reinvest and create opportunities.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to see if "trickle down" can work then you've got to give those with the money the incentive to reinvest and create opportunities.

They had that opportunity when Thatcher went on her Friedman inspired economic reforms.

The rich got richer, the poor got poorer.

Trickle-down simply doesn't work.
  • Options
    Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trickle-down simply doesn't work.

No it does not.

Over the last 15 years, those who on the highest salaries have seen their pay rise by a great percentage than everyone else. And even now, whilst most are seeing a reduction in their salaries (after prices increases), the highest earners are still enjoying above inflation pay rises.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick1966 wrote: »
    No it does not.

Over the last 15 years, those who on the highest salaries have seen their pay rise by a great percentage than everyone else. And even now, whilst most are seeing a reduction in their salaries (after prices increases), the highest earners are still enjoying above inflation pay rises.

I don't really care if the percentage increase of the top earners is higher or lower than everyone elses. That has nothing to do with whether wealth trickles down. I'd judge it by looking at the standards of living of the lower tiers. How do they compare to what they were 15 years ago?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really care if the percentage increase of the top earners is higher or lower than everyone elses. That has nothing to do with whether wealth trickles down. I'd judge it by looking at the standards of living of the lower tiers. How do they compare to what they were 15 years ago?

Well given that the news was reporting the largest drop in living standards for 30 years I guess you question is clearly answered.

Trickle-down doesn't work.

A greater percentage of total wealth is concentrated in a much smaller percentage of the population.

• Options
    andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some might say reduce their tax liability and make this country a place people consider doing business in.

Because that worked so well for Ireland.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    If we cracked down on tax evasion is effectively increasing the rate of tax on tax evaders - therefore they'd leave the country taking their businesses with them, so it's better to allow people to defraud the Treasury. :rolleyes:

Which is why it needs to be wiped out because it is WRONG! Why should normal folk be picking up the tab for big businesses?

The debate shouldn't end because of these 'convenient truths'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well given that the news was reporting the largest drop in living standards for 30 years I guess you question is clearly answered.

A greater percentage of total wealth is concentrated in a much smaller percentage of the population.

If standards had been rising for 3 decades pre 2008 what do you put that down to?
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Which is why it needs to be wiped out because it is WRONG! Why should normal folk be picking up the tab for big businesses?

The debate shouldn't end because of these 'convenient truths'.

One of the coalition policies is to reduce and simplify our tax system - thereby removing such anomolies - however you do not change 10,000+ pages of tax law without time and a great deal of thought.
  • Options
    andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the coalition policies is to reduce and simplify our tax system - thereby removing such anomolies - however you do not change 10,000+ pages of tax law without time and a great deal of thought.

Closing British run tax havens wouldn't take much time or thought if the will was really there. I suspect it isn't.
  • Options
    Dave1979Dave1979 Posts: 1,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are the 99%!!!
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Benefit fraud and tax evasion are both wrong. I'm not one for ranking crimes. That's something people with agendas do, and people who do that are to be viewed with suspicion. People guilty of either should receive lengthy custodial sentences of 5 years +a day per pound stolen.
    Dave1979 wrote: »
    We are the 99%!!!

99% of people aren't bothered enough to occupy anything, stop using the companies which the Occupy movement opposes, etc.