Options

Fearne Cotton hits back at "huge bullies"

Comments

• Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's such a bad presenter,she actualy makes Holly Willoughby look good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    If you are in the public eye and you make controversial statements on Twitter

She hasn't done that up until now, has she?
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Fearne's okay to be honest. Some people online are just hateful for hateful's sake.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Im from a working class family and have worked hard to get to where i am today. Others will just sit and do nothing but judge"

This is the Tweet which I find hard to understand, we all know she comes from a family of entertainers:confused:
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 54,990
    Forum Member
    I guess she won't be appearing on Celebrity Juice again having week after been 'bullied' about her face nose, lack of wobblies and bascially being a minger.

Go and counsel Rufus Hound.

I always take seriously what a regular panelist of Celeb Juice has to say.
  • Options
    ricardoyluciaricardoylucia Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my personal opinion, I always have had the impression Fearne Cotton comes across as immature and very insecure with herself...

If one is going to be in the public eye as she is, you do need to grow a backbone..

Unfortunately, truth hurts and I am wondering if it has dawned on her, that her abysmal performance has sunk in and she is having the temerity to disagree with her detractors...

I can imagine there are some people out there who will be very nasty and vitriolic, but the majority of critics have not been nasty, but pointing out how bad she was......mind you, this goes for all the presenters and interviewers last Sunday, except Clare Balding..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Who could forget hers and Rufus Hound's ITV2 presentation of the 2009 Isle of Wight Festival, the Fleetwood and Fox of the noughties.
  • Options
    StockingfillerStockingfiller Posts: 3,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fearne's relative, with his Billy Cotton Bandshow, used to shout " Wakey Wakey ! ". That was his catchphrase.

So the name 'Cotton' has been at the BBC for over fifty years. Then there's Peter Snow and Dan Snow, the Dimblebys and isn't Clare Balding's father a horse trainer ? It's nice to see how the BBC is loyal to family connections. :rolleyes:

As for bullying, it's a very serious issue and I think that using the term in response to being called useless when one is, a useless presenter, is a very naughty misuse of the word.
  • Options
    PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Im from a working class family and have worked hard to get to where i am today. Others will just sit and do nothing but judge"

I don't like comments like this. Don't get me wrong, I respect people who have made something of themselves but that doesn't always mean they should be immune to every piece of criticism as a result. If people are genuinely complaining about her professional work that's not necessarily bullying (obv it depends on how it's delivered).

If I'm seen to not do my job properly - that's what I'm judged on. What background I came from to get the job in the first place doesn't make any difference.

I quite like Fern on the radio & Celebrity Juice - but I wasn't fussed on the small amount of BBC coverage I did see at the weekend (I preferred Sky's coverage). That's the programmers fault because they've picked someone who perhaps isn't suited to a particular style of presenting.
  • Options
    AoibheannRoseAoibheannRose Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm most definitely not a fan of Fearne's radio work (she is beyond awful on R1), or most of her tv work but I do think she carries out her role on Celebrity Juice well and seems like a nice woman who likes baking and early nights from the little I hear about her life during the banter between her and Moyles in their daily hand-over. I didn't see any of her Jubilee coverage, but I do think that certain newspapers/people have gone a bit overboard in their criticism of her work there. She presented a bit of crap tv during a Royal occasion, she didn't drown a puppy!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ...... She presented a bit of crap tv during a Royal occasion, she didn't drown a puppy!

According to Keith Lemon that's because she's got no puppies to drown.
  • Options
    AoibheannRoseAoibheannRose Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha, true! But she does have extra large nostrils to make up for it.
  • Options
    gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    I have alway disliked FC,s attitude, quite honestly it stinks

If she tried not to be so aggressive in her approach, genned up on her interviewees backgrounds and came over as likeable, she wouldnt get the criticism she does.

As it is, she is sneering, dismissive and rude, so Fearne if you cannot take it, dont dish it out.

I watched Sky coverage and loved it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could add Peter Dickinson, Chris Collins, John Sargent and Tess Daley to that list. I think the only person to come out with any credibility out this Clare Balding as she knew what she was talking about and the interviews that she did were informative.

Peter Dickinson as a commentator shouldn't have been there. For what information he gave or lack of it. I wanted to know some history of the boats, but we didn't get any.

Chris Collins, standing at the water's edge getting wet was the only thing I saw him do

John Sargeant on a bridge talking to zelebs.

Tess Daley in a park prancing around and talking about bloody cakes.

What got me is that the BBC would cut to one of these so called presenters when something was happening?

Don't forget Anneka Rice interviewing a group of artists painting... in the rain :D... why... oh yes... because we Brits are tres eccentric... and she stopped being a TV presenter to go study art...
    She's such a bad presenter,she actualy makes Holly Willoughby look good.

They're best friends...
  • Options
    NewcastleNewcastle Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always liked her but she, along with many others, was the wrong choice for jubilee coverage. She is making light of real bullying by likening the criticisms of the coverage to bullying. She is a very highly paid tv presenter and she will get criticism in the role she is in just like every other presenter that puts themselves in the public eye. I'd suggest she should come off twitter if she only likes to be praised.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    with such a thin skin I'm amazed shes in showbiz

I never got how she ever got a gig anyway but I always thought she must be able to

suck a golf ball through a hosepipe at 20 feet, if you know what I mean

can we have a moratorium on the word "bully" for a year as it now means nothing

can I add "amazing" to that list

oh and "bigot" and "homophobe" whilst your at it
  • Options
    chuffsterchuffster Posts: 8,816
    Forum Member
    Skillz!
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is correct though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is correct though.

About what exactly?
  • Options
    Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, now that is a bullying comment. Her ability to present television programmes has nothing to do with her nostrils, that's just her physical appearance.

IRONY KLAXON!!!!
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is generally considered that the BBC made a botch of the Royal pageant. I think the licence fee-paying viewers have a right to criticise constructively. Fearne should be able to take that on the chin, to an extent.

I do think Twitter can be a poisonous place, however. It provides a platform for people to submit a particularly vicious commentary that I'm not sure they would be 'brave' enough to do if their identity were not concealed behind a computer screen.

It seems to bring out the very worst in people. The instantaneous nature of Twitter means that folk often post in the heat of the moment. If you're angry or p*ssed then just step away from the computer for a while, because once it's out there, it's out there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    It is generally considered that the BBC made a botch of the Royal pageant. I think the licence fee-paying viewers have a right to criticise constructively. Fearne should be able to take that on the chin, to an extent.

I do think Twitter can be a poisonous place, however. It provides a platform for people to submit a particularly vicious commentary that I'm not sure they would be 'brave' enough to do if their identity were not concealed behind a computer screen.

It seems to bring out the very worst in people. The instantaneous nature of Twitter means that folk often post in the heat of the moment. If you're angry or p*ssed then just step away from the computer for a while, because once it's out there, it's out there.

I agree with what you say about Twitter, but Fearne wasn't just slagging off on-line idiocy, she said "articles" too. She has had previous at slagging off middle-aged critics before, particularly after Brooker's earlier evisceration of her.

Quite why someone so limited in interview skills keeps getting such massive jobs on the BBC, I'm not sure.

I certainly didn't complain though, as I despise the royals, and was quite glad the coverage was shite (apparently) as I wasn't watching it:p
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't want to hear from or speak to anyone except the bumlickers give up on Twotter you silly woman :yawn:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »

I suppose she has a right to stick up for herself but is it fair to call any criticism of her 'bullying'? It depends on what people have actually been saying but she seems a bit defensive.

A common complaint is that Fearne had 'connections' hence her cushy job at the BBC. I dunno. I like Fearne but surely people must be allowed to criticise her performance fairly without being labelled a bully? Unless people are making personal remarks then maybe she should grow a tougher skin?

This attitude is so wide spread now, unfortunately. People are so ridiculously touchy that critcisim is often met with responses like Fearne's. This is probably why incompetence is so rife in general.

It's pathetic, it really is.
  • Options
    asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    i dont rate her tbh and i think she's more known as a celeb and presenter of poor rated tv shows than a DJ. she's tried to spread herself about for the fame and her main bread & butter job's suffered. Also she's 31 this year and she just acts a bit immature and is annoying - this latest twitter rant is an example of that.

she's entitled to come out of her corner and defend herself tho i'd expect nothing less - cheryl made me laugh - definitely got a touch of 'spin doctor' about it.