Options

Moving to a new Bank advice

hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've had a current account with the Co Op for many years, never had any problems with them, but since they have been "in trouble" and now taken over by a hedge fund I think it is the time to leave.

I only want a simple current account, I don't need overdrafts or to borrow etc.

Any ideas on who bank with - and who to avoid?

Comments

• Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why bother if you're currently happy with the service? Your money is not at risk.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hatpeg wrote: »
    I've had a current account with the Co Op for many years, never had any problems with them, but since they have been "in trouble" and now taken over by a hedge fund I think it is the time to leave.

ive got a current account with the Halifax, no problems at all with them.

No overdraft, just a simple Visa Debit, that way, if i havent got it,i cant spend it.

TSB are ok as well
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Santander do all the work for you and offer 3% interest rates.
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hatpeg, this page might be useful. Select the options that interest you:

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/current-accounts/

I've been with the Bank of Scotland for a long time, but they're no longer particularly good at anything and have quite ridiculous charges for small authorised overdrafts. I'm tempted to switch to First Direct, but at the same time it's occasionally useful (maybe once a year or so) to have a branch nearby for advice and First Direct is phone and internet only. I believe it's part of HSBC, but there are no HSBC branches within 100 miles of where I live, so that wouldn't be much help.
  • Options
    hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that Sigurd.
  • Options
    grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    Hatpeg, this page might be useful. Select the options that interest you:

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/current-accounts/

I've been with the Bank of Scotland for a long time, but they're no longer particularly good at anything and have quite ridiculous charges for small authorised overdrafts. I'm tempted to switch to First Direct, but at the same time it's occasionally useful (maybe once a year or so) to have a branch nearby for advice and First Direct is phone and internet only. I believe it's part of HSBC, but there are no HSBC branches within 100 miles of where I live, so that wouldn't be much help.

First Direct's 24/7 phone service is so good that a bank branch is really unnecessary. I can't remember the last time I went to one. Also, if you do switch they give you £100+ for switching.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    hatpeg wrote: »

The Airdrie Savings Bank is very good.

I'm planning on opening an account with Metro Bank too.

At the moment. I have also current account with:-

Bank of Scotland
    Halifax
    Santander
    Barclays
    First Direct

There is no limitation as to how many current accounts you are allowed to hold...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bank of Scotland
    Halifax
    Santander
    Barclays
    First Direct

There is no limitation as to how many current accounts you are allowed to hold...
    What's the benefit of having so many current accounts?
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the benefit of having so many current accounts?

Several.

When a bank has a "problem" with its systems, you can access your money elsewhere - you are not dependent on a single account as a source of money. NatWest lost all details of my accounts overnight and it took several days to sort out. In the meantime I was able to access cash via my Nationwide account. Otherwise I would have been stuffed.

Also if scammers get hold of your details - e.g. you get your debit card skimmed - and empty your account, you still have cash readily available elsewhere whilst the mess is being sorted.

Different banks have different benefits - I use Santander for the good interest return, but also have an account with N&P as I get free cash withdrawals when abroad.

You can get cash out of cashpoints for each account, so a £500 withdrawal limit per day is sidestepped.

Finally, banks offer all sorts of perks to join, so you can switch accounts every so often to hoover up these perks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    Several.

When a bank has a "problem" with its systems, you can access your money elsewhere - you are not dependent on a single account as a source of money. NatWest lost all details of my accounts overnight and it took several days to sort out. In the meantime I was able to access cash via my Nationwide account. Otherwise I would have been stuffed.

Also if scammers get hold of your details - e.g. you get your debit card skimmed - and empty your account, you still have cash readily available elsewhere whilst the mess is being sorted.

Different banks have different benefits - I use Santander for the good interest return, but also have an account with N&P as I get free cash withdrawals when abroad.

You can get cash out of cashpoints for each account, so a £500 withdrawal limit per day is sidestepped.

Finally, banks offer all sorts of perks to join, so you can switch accounts every so often to hoover up these perks.
    Thanks. I could see some advantage of having (say) two current accounts with different banks, but I'm not sure there's much point for most people in having accounts with five or six, unless one's personal financial affairs are particularly complicated.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Thanks. I could see some advantage of having (say) two current accounts with different banks, but I'm not sure there's much point for most people in having accounts with five or six, unless one's personal financial affairs are particularly complicated.

You need at least two current accounts with your primary bank.

One for standard transactions the other for pre-authorised payments.

That way once a month, after you are paid, you can transfer a single value across to the PAPM account and be happy to know that all your direct debits and standing orders are covered.

For other transactions, eg regular dividends and stock exchange investments or for a second job, it's handy to have them in a separate current account.

It's also handier to be able to choose which bank has the shortest queue for depositing cheques or cash.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the end of the day I have found most banks are owned by the same type of people, so any bank will be fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bank of Scotland
    Halifax
    Santander
    Barclays
    First Direct

No there's no limit but really what's the point? I went through a period of having four or five and in the end decided it was just pretentious and pointless. I manage with much less hassle with one these days.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Airdrie Savings Bank, never heard of that but they only have branches in Scotland so people down south can't use them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    I use Harris Web Banking, I have no problems and troubles.
  • Options
    Jean_DanielsJean_Daniels Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    advice DONT BANK WITH NAT WEST/RBS useless banks always getting glitches.
  • Options
    Nattie01Nattie01 Posts: 1,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't want to be constantly pestered by phone, or every time you call into a branch, for a "review of your account" aka hard sell of products you don't actually need or want, I suggest that you give Lloyds a wide berth.
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Santander are pieces of sh*t and best avoided.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Off topic, but I can't believe Sigurd is now a guest!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    For those with adverse credit (you will normally be credit scored when seeking a current account) or who simply want the most stripped-down, frills-free package, basic bank accounts may be the way to go. There is further info and a comparison table at the Money Advice Service website:

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/basic-bank-accounts

You still get a debit card with these accounts, so they're no less convenient for checkout/online purchases and cash withdrawals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Darcy_ wrote: »
    I noticed that too.
  • Options
    shantomshantom Posts: 2,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    I noticed that too.

Me too...what does it mean?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shantom wrote: »
    Me too...what does it mean?
    I think it means they've asked to be de-registered.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Darcy_ wrote: »
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    I think it means they've asked to be de-registered.

First Avasgranny and now Sigurd.... NOOOOOOOOOO! <shakes fist at the sky>

Sigurd was always good with eBay advice, too...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    First Avasgranny and now Sigurd.... NOOOOOOOOOO! <shakes fist at the sky>

Sigurd was always good with eBay advice, too...

It because the site is now overrun with trolls and users that have previously registered, all the good people are disappearing.