• Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite liked it tbh :o
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    Interesting to see the difference in attitude between the coal-face workers and the desk jockeys at HO. Best quote is from the lady on the till "Bring your personality to work".
  • Options
    Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikebuk wrote: »
    'We love horses, they were in the Olympics'. Proof as to why you should never let the public talk.

So glad I did not watch this. :eek:

When will TV executives get over their obsession with promoting "nice but dim" as THE personality to have?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Best quote is from the lady on the till "Bring your personality to work".

This is exactly what's wrong with the modern work place, isn't it? There is no doubt in my mind people were happier and more competent when they could just come in, do their job, and bugger off back home at clocking off time. Hiring people based on how "bubbly" they are or how well they do at the role-playing games in interviews is one of the most bewilderingly stupid things to happen to this country. I don't care about "team players" but I do care about competent and professional staff. The idiots who work in HR just don't seem to get it though.
  • Options
    DrifterDrifter Posts: 12,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SteUK wrote: »
    So they complain about Tesco copying them, yet they seem to getting a lot of their own 'new' ideas from M&S and Waitrose..

That was absolutely hilarious. While I know stealing ideas is part and parcel of this business, why the hellwere they acting all outraged at bigger supermarkets copying them (of which there is no realbasis for fact as these stores have done cheap frozen food for years too) only to have their food finder guy fly out to Thailand, slam a copy of M&S mag down and say "we want something like this"! And there were many moments like that.

Just one big promotion for the chain. Bizarre really but I can only assume they paid vast sums for this to happen?

Malcolm seems ok and I admire what he's achieved, but for every second he was being passionate he would then trail off into silly PR talk, like with the real cheese on the naff looking pizza, practically claiming no other place could offer real cheese!

The show succeeded however in making me never consider a management job in their stores!
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found the program interesting, i like shops, and always watch things like this, Last year we had Caroline Arherne, talking about poundshops.

Every time ive eat food from Iceland ive always found it rather rank.

Especially thtere party range that they tried to talk up.

The other christmas, we bought one of there indian food platters, which is disgusting, however that guy who was shown last night testing the foods, passed half of that indian range, is beyond me. Also there desert platter, full of pastrys, with very fake cream, same with there Gateaus.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found the program interesting, i like shops, and always watch things like this, Last year we had Caroline Arherne, talking about poundshops.

Every time ive eat food from Iceland ive always found it rather rank.

Especially thtere party range that they tried to talk up.

The other christmas, we bought one of there indian food platters, which is disgusting, however that guy who was shown last night testing the foods, passed half of that indian range, is beyond me. Also there desert platter, full of pastrys, with very fake cream, same with there Gateaus.

Not surprised to hear this about the food. Iceland can't even manage to make their food look appealing in their adverts, so that alone is a sign for me to stay away from it. It looks absolutely disgusting and I imagine the Iceland brand is only successful because some poor sods can't afford to shop anywhere else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not surprised to hear this about the food. Iceland can't even manage to make their food look appealing in their adverts, so that alone is a sign for me to stay away from it. It looks absolutely disgusting and I imagine the Iceland brand is only successful because some poor sods can't afford to shop anywhere else.

I come from a family, who dont really, need to shop at Iceland, but my mum has popped in there sometimes, if weve been out or on holiday, and she said I will go in and get something quick for tea
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    It's cheap for milk and free range eggs and frozen veg....anything else is a no go....fake and frozen
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did watch and thought the programme was alright - I only shop in Iceland for piccalilli but must say the shop staff are in there are the nicest anywhere. I did comment once that Iceland must be a good company to work for as the staff were very helpful and pleasant, unlike some, then they won that award for being the best one to work for.
    Pity the food is not as good as the staff but the one I go into is always busy and their delivery wagons I see everywhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont think any non Iceland customers, would be tempted after watching the programe last night, all the food they advertised looked vile.

Prawns in Rice Krispie batter urgh, Prawns in Blankets looked gross.

Things like milk are cheaper.

The buyer for Deserts, looked like she hadnt finished school that long ago, So her idea for Alocholic Jelly things, was typical
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    I was in Iceland last week for the first time in months and months and I now know why the woman at the till encouraged me to go online and do a Wow!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    I was in Iceland last week for the first time in months and months and I now know why the woman at the till encouraged me to go online and do a Wow!

You must have thought, what the hell do they mean by a WOW.
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You’ve got to love the BBC, they blurred out the ‘Iceland’ logo on all the food packages, while being held by employees wearing an ‘Iceland’ badge, in a shop with the ‘Iceland’ logo everywhere. :)

As funny as the programme was at times, Iceland did win the award for best company to work for last year, so they must be doing something right.
  • Options
    Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That assistant manager Nat (she with the odd looking mouth) didn't have much personality at the Cheetham Hill store, she seemed quite moody in fact. I rarely shop in Iceland, no need to really as you can't buy everything you need there so why bother, plus Aldi do it better and cheaper.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    suesuesue wrote: »
    Unbelievable! BBC2 - no money received from advertising revenue - happily give a 'free' 3 hour ad slot to a retailer. Anyone remember years ago when they did the same for Tesco? They were supposed to have open access to Tesco and show what they wanted. At the time of filming a supplier of Tesco was caught bleaching chicken to cover the fact it was well past fit for consumption and then sent it back in their stores. Tesco completely managed the final edits and made sure they looked in a good light.

I guess Iceland are using this to try and repair the damage caused by their numpty chief during the horse meat saga, making oddly racist comments about the Irish and coming over as a complete tool. And the licence fee pays for this propoganda. Enjoy!
    This all happened during the making of this ad, I mean Documentary.
    I thought it was very interesting...but Trish answering questions to Parliament next week, she couldn't string a sentence together this week - without putting her Hoof in it.

Did like Gemma's Jelly....and the Boss Malcolm, ripping up his old shop to find the original floor.:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    This all happened during the making of this ad, I mean Documentary.
    I thought it was very interesting...but Trish answering questions to Parliament next week, she couldn't string a sentence together this week - without putting her Hoof in it.

Did like Gemma's Jelly....and the Boss Malcolm, ripping up his old shop to find the original floor.:eek:
    Yes loved the Malcolm, walked in the shop, and tried to lift the floor tiles
  • Options
    Flabby_GutFlabby_Gut Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    A lot of people seem to be complaining about the quality at Iceland especially the ready meals seemingly forgetting the fact that the horse meat scandal started off because of the excellent quality of Tesco's ready meals!

If you shop sensibly Iceland offer some very good buys that are constantly at good prices. Here are some recommendations.

Toilet Roll called "Petal Soft" - 3 Ply £1 for 4 or 25p a roll. IMO as good as any of the big brands and ALWAYS this price.

Milk - 4 pints for a pound. Been this price for years and only in the last 18 months or so that the big supermarkets have reduced their prices - was always around £1.30/40 + in Tesco & Sainsbury's demonstrating quite how much they rip people off!

Similarly eggs. 6 Large free range £1 or a dozen caged for £1.

Bread - They ALWAYS have either Kingsmill or Warburtons full size loaves at £1

They also have a large range of Kingsmill products - 2 for a £1. This includes 6 packs of rolls, 4 pack English muffins, crumpets, hot cross buns & also 4 packs of part baked rolls including Ciabatta rolls or 2 packs of baguettes- remember this is any 2 packs!!

The Majestic "choc ices" mentioned in the show are not choc ices - they are Magnum copies but at £1 for 4 - all the time!

They almost always have deals on 100% extra free packs of Kit Kats and Yorkshire tea.

At present they have 8 four finger bars of Kit Kats for £1.50 - last month it was 8 Chunkies.

Yorkshire tea is often on these special packs at 160 bags for £2.50

Other recommendations are their Southern Fried chicken wings 1KG bag for £3 and whole legs of lamb are often available for £10.

There are some great bargains to be had if you are a canny shopper and not a snob.

They don't have self service checkouts - which is good - but the assistants are always speedy and unlike Aldi & Lidl there is room to pack & they will either help or give you enough time to pack instead of just dumping all your shopping & then making you feel guilty for holding up the entire queue!
  • Options
    SteUKSteUK Posts: 5,834
    Forum Member
    Next ep on now.
  • Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flabby_Gut wrote: »
    A lot of people seem to be complaining about the quality at Iceland especially the ready meals seemingly forgetting the fact that the horse meat scandal started off because of the excellent quality of Tesco's ready meals!

If you shop sensibly Iceland offer some very good buys that are constantly at good prices. Here are some recommendations.

Toilet Roll called "Petal Soft" - 3 Ply £1 for 4 or 25p a roll. IMO as good as any of the big brands and ALWAYS this price.

Milk - 4 pints for a pound. Been this price for years and only in the last 18 months or so that the big supermarkets have reduced their prices - was always around £1.30/40 + in Tesco & Sainsbury's demonstrating quite how much they rip people off!

Similarly eggs. 6 Large free range £1 or a dozen caged for £1.

Bread - They ALWAYS have either Kingsmill or Warburtons full size loaves at £1

They also have a large range of Kingsmill products - 2 for a £1. This includes 6 packs of rolls, 4 pack English muffins, crumpets, hot cross buns & also 4 packs of part baked rolls including Ciabatta rolls or 2 packs of baguettes- remember this is any 2 packs!!

The Majestic "choc ices" mentioned in the show are not choc ices - they are Magnum copies but at £1 for 4 - all the time!

They almost always have deals on 100% extra free packs of Kit Kats and Yorkshire tea.

At present they have 8 four finger bars of Kit Kats for £1.50 - last month it was 8 Chunkies.

Yorkshire tea is often on these special packs at 160 bags for £2.50

Other recommendations are their Southern Fried chicken wings 1KG bag for £3 and whole legs of lamb are often available for £10.

There are some great bargains to be had if you are a canny shopper and not a snob.

They don't have self service checkouts - which is good - but the assistants are always speedy and unlike Aldi & Lidl there is room to pack & they will either help or give you enough time to pack instead of just dumping all your shopping & then making you feel guilty for holding up the entire queue!

Agree with this entirely. I do most of my shop at Waitrose (we only have Waitrose, M&S, the Channel Islands Co-operative and Iceland as 'UK' supermakets here - and Waitrose is the cheapest for the normal weekly shop when it comes to value!) but I go to Iceland for frozen veg, frozen fresh fish, frozen prawns, the toilet roll of which you speak (and the paper towel from the same range) etc. Why wouldn't I?

After all, a frozen pea is pretty much a frozen pea, and if you just want some fish to make a fish pie or fish cakes then why not Iceland at the best price? And I say that having access to one of the most amazing fresh fish markets in the UK - which I use when I want good, fresh fish, moules to make moules a la creme or squid for paella, but it's a waste of good money if I'm only going to poach it up for a fish pie or fish cakes, so frozen will do, and Iceland is a good as anyone else!

So many comments on this thread saying it's all rubbish and that they wouldn't even go there to find out any different - but no shop is all bad, and no shop is all good.
  • Options
    pwuzpwuz Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Iceland head office staff restaurant has a stared chef that proudly does not use anything frozen?! Seriously they want people to know this?

The test kitchen are testing baked beans on a pizza saying it has never been done before?! i remember these being sold in the 90s for a short time.
  • Options
    SteUKSteUK Posts: 5,834
    Forum Member
    The rice krispie prawns don't look that nice.
  • Options
    lozzerbozzerlozzerbozzer Posts: 5,026
    Forum Member
    Bubble Bubble prawn is an awful name for what looks like an awful product. :o
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe one of those 8 managers should have checked mashed up horses weren't going into their burgers rather than watching 5 delivery drivers build a paper bridge.