Options

Need to withdraw money but not got debit card

jaek123456jaek123456 Posts: 8,410
Forum Member
So my debit card got stolen inside a wallet last Saturday. Of course I cancelled it and I'm getting a new one on Monday.

However, I'm wondering what would I need to withdraw money otherwise. With me I have a bank statement, a citizen card and a birth certificate on me.

I know the answers to all the security questions.

Is there any way I could withdraw money ? Or would I have to wait till monday.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you phoned up your bank, and asked them? Or gone into a branch and asked them?
    Some branches are different from 1 to other, so somebody on here may tell you x y z, and you go off to your bank, and they want v x z. Best ask them direct.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I have gone into my bank with a passport, paying in book and bank statement and got money. It does help if the people in the bank recognise you as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Take some ID into your bank, explain the situation and they may ask you some security questions and allow you to withdraw money. Good Luck!
  • Options
    alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've used my passport before now as ID to withdraw money. I think they need photo ID.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think when I lost my wallet I was able to withdraw money from a branch with my cheque book and passport for ID. Actually, if you know your bank account details you may not even need the cheque book.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Citizen Card is photo id but I'm wondering if they'd accept that. It was enough for them to go looking for the debit card anyway :)
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I was waiting for a replacement card from Barclays I was able to withdraw cash with a photo ID (I used a driving license) and cheque book. I don't know if this is permanent or just while I was waiting for the card. I am sure they can check on the system that you are waiting for a card to arrive.
  • Options
    ElliotSaundersElliotSaunders Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    When I lost my card. I went to the bank with no ID and asked to withdraw money and they asked me a few questions such as How much was payed in last Friday? How many savings accounts do you have? and how much roughly was in my account. Then they let me withdraw it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've gone from no ID, to passport, driving licence, cheque book, paying in book, bank statement, to just being asked questions. Lol...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been able to withdraw money from Natwest using just my passport as ID - I think a lot depends on the bank you're with to be honest.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elke21 wrote: »
    We've gone from no ID, to passport, driving licence, cheque book, paying in book, bank statement, to just being asked questions. Lol...

I'm sure it depends on the bank's policy, whether they know you and how much money you want to withdraw. I would hope my bank would't let someone take out all my savings on the basis of just knowing my date of birth, account number and how much I got paid.
  • Options
    CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member
    jaek123456 wrote: »
    Citizen Card is photo id but I'm wondering if they'd accept that. It was enough for them to go looking for the debit card anyway :)

It was suggested nearly an hour ago in post #2 that you contact your bank and ask what can be done to help you.

Have you done that? If so, care to share the result.

If not, I'm left wondering why not.
  • Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    Cruachan wrote: »
    It was suggested nearly an hour ago in post #2 that you contact your bank and ask what can be done to help you.

You're not alone.

But if people did the obvious thing, half of the threads in this section of the forum wouldn't exist ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cruachan wrote: »

That would be too easy.
    And to hear the correct information from the people who know, rather than believing what random people tell you on the net, is a new concept.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had to withdraw money from the bank last year after I got married, and my passport was away getting changed as well, I showed her my only other ID that still had my maiden name on, and explained the situation, and as long as I knew the account number I got money no bother.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I snapped my card on Monday and I received my new card yesterday(Thursday) , perhaps your new card will be through before Monday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was okay :) They just needed the bank statement I had and a signature :)
  • Options
    CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member
    jaek123456 wrote: »
    It was okay :) They just needed the bank statement I had and a signature :)

I'm pleased it turned out ok.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Natwest now do a special service.... if you lose your card and the banks aren't open... you can ring them up, and they will email you a special code.... which you can type into any natwsest cash machine and it will you allow you to withdraw a few hundred pounds... all without the card!
  • Options
    GeordielaadGeordielaad Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    It's odd isn't it? I'm a fan of browsing these boards but if I needed advice on how to draw out cash without a cash card I'd ring my bank - not ask on here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's odd isn't it? I'm a fan of browsing these boards but if I needed advice on how to draw out cash without a cash card I'd ring my bank - not ask on here.

I kept ringing but they kept saying it's up to your branch.

The whole reason i called them in the first place is because I wanted to know other than walk all the way down to be rejected.

Luckily I didn't. The only reason I asked on here is because the helpline was quite useless in revealing anything.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elke21 wrote: »
    That would be too easy.
    And to hear the correct information from the people who know, rather than believing what random people tell you on the net, is a new concept.

:D I do love a bit of sarcasm, me.