Options

Daybreak - New Look from Jan 3rd

Comments

• Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike1948 wrote: »
    The BBC is about to award Daybreak a welcome advantage by relocating Breakfast to Manchester.

I cannot imagine many American celebs visiting London for a film premiere will want to journey up north the previous day to be interviewed on the sofa, then have to go back to London.
    Or they might if they see BBC Breakfast as an important enough vehicle, especially when viewing figures are compared with those of GMBreak (1.5 million as against 700,000)

And if not, they can still be interviewed over a link from a London studio.

Or even interviewed directly in a London studio (live or recorded).
  • Options
    groovesectiongroovesection Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tuned in this morning out of curiosity, I was met with the gurning imbecile Garraway and Lobb.
    The scheduling seems to have changed and the colour of the logo/set but essentially it was the same old sh*t.

They tried to be more News based having 2 People on to discuss points from the Papers, I could only manage till 6.25am, How anyone can watch Garraway beggars belief :)
    So essentially it is the exact same show with the exact same presenters with a few minor tweaks (logo & colour lol)
    Judging on Today's 30 minutes i endured before switching to the BBC i can say i will not be watching in the future.

The only thing which would make me tune in again is a change in presenters!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And this morning they've got some blonde bimbos (male and female) from The Only Way is Essex to demonstrate some fitness routines using bottles of water as weights .....

Says it all really ......
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Or they might if they see BBC Breakfast as an important enough vehicle, especially when viewing figures are compared with those of GMBreak (1.5 million as against 700,000)

And if not, they can still be interviewed over a link from a London studio.

Or even interviewed directly in a London studio (live or recorded).

Most of BBC Breakfast's interviews with big names do not take place in the studio or in a two-way, they are usually taped in a hotel room or similar. And for some inexplicable reason they are usually conducted by Charlie Stayt, a man who loves the sound of his own voice and is incapable of asking a short, sharp, interesting question.. I don't think any of that will change with the move to Salford:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Most of BBC Breakfast's interviews with big names do not take place in the studio or in a two-way, they are usually taped in a hotel room or similar. And for some inexplicable reason they are usually conducted by Charlie Stayt, a man who loves the sound of his own voice and is incapable of asking a short, sharp, interesting question.. I don't think any of that will change with the move to Salford:D
    Good point, although the one exception that springs to mind is Harrison Ford.

Although, going by this much-vaunted GMBreak relaunch, BBC Breakfast will have little to worry about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not saying they don't ever have big names in the studio - I recall Keanu Reeves, Sir Roger Moore and indeed Harrison Ford. But the way Hollywood celebs work they much prefer the comfort of their hotel suite rather than a cab to Wood Lane at 6 am on a wet Wednesday.With the move to Salford I fear we may have an endless procession of Coronation Street actors plus Ken Dodd and a few other worthies living in the area.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    mike1948 wrote: »
    The BBC is about to award Daybreak a welcome advantage by relocating Breakfast to Manchester.

I cannot imagine many American celebs visiting London for a film premiere will want to journey up north the previous day to be interviewed on the sofa, then have to go back to London. This is why ITV relocated This Morning to London from Liverpool.

This is not an anti-north post - it is right that some BBC TV progs are made there. Only that BBC Breakfast deals with news and current affairs, plus showbiz, and there is far more happening in all of these fields in London than Manchester.

The BBC (and Sky & ITN) already handle this as the lunchtime news and political shows interview MPs who are naturally in or around Westminster. They are usually done on a 2-way link with the intro "..and in our Westminster studio is....".
    It would be easy to set up small TV studio in Broadcasting house in the West End of London and call it our "West End" studio for live 2-ways.

In fact this would also benefit the radio audience, as a major star could promote their movie etc on Breakfast, plus Chris Moyles on Radio1 and Chris Evans on Radio 2 almost at the same time from the same place.
    Given the massive audiences of the 2 major radio Breakfast shows this would be a good carrot.

It would also hit Daybreak as most big stars would prefer the huge BBC combined audiences to a few hundred thousand on ITV morning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not saying they don't ever have big names in the studio - I recall Keanu Reeves, Sir Roger Moore and indeed Harrison Ford. But the way Hollywood celebs work they much prefer the comfort of their hotel suite rather than a cab to Wood Lane at 6 am on a wet Wednesday.With the move to Salford I fear we may have an endless procession of Coronation Street actors plus Ken Dodd and a few other worthies living in the area.
    Or they will simply continue to do what you pointed out, and have big name Hollywood stars interviewed in London hotel suites, alongside interviews over a link (as happens with a number of interviews, discussions and contributions), or interviews from a London (or other) studio. They might even have some "names" in at Salford, you can never tell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    It would also hit Daybreak as most big stars would prefer the huge BBC combined audiences to a few hundred thousand on ITV morning.
    Well, it's generally a 2:1 ratio, 1.5 million on BBC Breakfast, as against 700,000 on Daybreak
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the new colour scheme, looks more professional. Dan Lobb is still as annoying as ever though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC (and Sky & ITN) already handle this as the lunchtime news and political shows interview MPs who are naturally in or around Westminster. They are usually done on a 2-way link with the intro "..and in our Westminster studio is....".
    It would be easy to set up small TV studio in Broadcasting house in the West End of London and call it our "West End" studio for live 2-ways.

In fact this would also benefit the radio audience, as a major star could promote their movie etc on Breakfast, plus Chris Moyles on Radio1 and Chris Evans on Radio 2 almost at the same time from the same place.
    Given the massive audiences of the 2 major radio Breakfast shows this would be a good carrot.

There is already a small TV studio in the basement of BH and by next year there will be five more TV studios in the new extension - no need to build any more.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Well, it's generally a 2:1 ratio, 1.5 million on BBC Breakfast, as against 700,000 on Daybreak

Good point - but I was referring to the potential for combining audiences if they used a TV studio set up at Broadcasting House. This is the area where Radio 1 & 2's breakfast shows get weekly combined ratings in excess of 15 million listeners, so that is an average of 3 million per day.

Combine that with the TV Breakfast ratings and a "star" can get across to over 4.5 million people, theoretically from the same location (or close by as radio 1 is in a buidling about 200 yards away from Radio 2).
    They may not be able to do both radio shows, but it should be fairly easy to be the "after 9 guest" for the TV after "dropping in" on one of the national radio Brekkie shows and plug their latest wares.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good point - but I was referring to the potential for combining audiences if they used a TV studio set up at Broadcasting House. This is the area where Radio 1 & 2's breakfast shows get weekly combined ratings in excess of 15 million listeners, so that is an average of 3 million per day.

Combine that with the TV Breakfast ratings and a "star" can get across to over 4.5 million people, theoretically from the same location (or close by as radio 1 is in a buidling about 200 yards away from Radio 2).
    They may not be able to do both radio shows, but it should be fairly easy to be the "after 9 guest" for the TV after "dropping in" on one of the national radio Brekkie shows and plug their latest wares.

But this already happens from the existing studios at TV Centre. A ''down the line'' in radio probably isn't even apparent to the listener but in TV it will be pretty obvious.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Corrie actors regularly make the trip down to London for promotional work. Katherine Kelly was on This Morning today.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    Callum24 wrote: »
    I like the new colour scheme, looks more professional. Dan Lobb is still as annoying as ever though.

The new scheme is a lot better. Don't agree about him being annoying though he suits sports better. Make him the sports editor and bring in Steve Dixon from Sky News as anchor alongside Kate.
  • Options
    epm-84epm-84 Posts: 3,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing I don't understand is why the weather graphics are different to the ITV forecasts outside of Daybreak. When it was GMTV I could understand it as it wasn't part of ITV PLC but then they used the standard ITV graphics for the regional forecasts during GMTV.

I think neither the ITV Weather or Daybreak weather graphics are perfect so it would be in their best interests to introduce a new improved standardised format for all forecasts on ITV.
  • Options
    epm-84epm-84 Posts: 3,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the move to Salford I fear we may have an endless procession of Coronation Street actors plus Ken Dodd and a few other worthies living in the area.

It's funny how the BBC found 40 'celebrities' to appear at MediaCity for Celebrity Mastermind and that ITV Studios also found 40 significant alumni to appear at Quay Street, Manchester studios for the the Christmas specials of University Challenge.

You also don't seem to realise that the North West is an excellent place for sporting celebrities.

7 of the 20 Premiership sides are in the North West, compared to 4 in London and the South East.

In the North of England we also have an international sport called Rugby League, which some London based journalists seem to be unaware of. Maybe they might actually report on the winners of Rugby League trophies when they move up North.

A number of International Cricketers are based at Lancashire and Yorkshire, with both their grounds being used for internationals. You can even walk from Lancashire's ground at Trafford to MediaCity in 15-20 minutes.

Maybe that's why the BBC have decided that sport should be based in Salford.
    Corrie actors regularly make the trip down to London for promotional work. Katherine Kelly was on This Morning today.

Corrie actors reguarly appearing on This Morning dates back to when it was a Granada TV production from Liverpool, with one of Granada's main productions being Coronation Street.
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tvworld101 wrote: »
    I think Kate should stay as a lead role but Dan is better suited to Sport, maybe the Thursday/Friday shows. Who could replace Dan? Nick Dixon, Andrew Castle, Stephan Dixon, Colin Brazier, Matt Barbet, John Stapleton. I would pick one of those!

Dont agree with you. As I have said I think Kate should be given less of a role.
    I will be watching BBC Breakfast a bit more before I goto work.

Darren
  • Options
    Laura PLaura P Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling this programme may be beyond help

As long as they insist on keeping the dreadful Garraway woman and co, it is.

Why are they so scared to clear out the dead wood and bring in some fresh faces? What power does Garraway have over the bosses that seems to ensure she keeps her job there no matter what? Does she know where the bodies are buried or something?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The regional News break,seems to have shifted to Ten past the hour instead of Fifteen minutes past.
    However,the messy/Glitchy switch between Daybreak and Itv Granada,is worse than ever,certainly on the HD service,it looks very amateurish.
  • Options
    happy tvhappy tv Posts: 1,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are the schools back yet? The ratings are still around 700,000
  • Options
    sherisgirlsherisgirl Posts: 2,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only catch this between 6.30am to 7,20 am must admit I didnt mind grumpy Adrian, its Kate I cant stand. shes to smarmy.

Dan Lobb can take him or leave him, this morning when he was about to ask Dianne Abbot a question he said before he asked, "well your going to disagree any way", the look she gave him made me smile.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,400
    Forum Member
    epm-84 wrote: »
    It's funny how the BBC found 40 'celebrities' to appear at MediaCity for Celebrity Mastermind and that ITV Studios also found 40 significant alumni to appear at Quay Street, Manchester studios for the the Christmas specials of University Challenge.

You also don't seem to realise that the North West is an excellent place for sporting celebrities.

7 of the 20 Premiership sides are in the North West, compared to 4 in London and the South East.

In the North of England we also have an international sport called Rugby League, which some London based journalists seem to be unaware of. Maybe they might actually report on the winners of Rugby League trophies when they move up North.

A number of International Cricketers are based at Lancashire and Yorkshire, with both their grounds being used for internationals. You can even walk from Lancashire's ground at Trafford to MediaCity in 15-20 minutes.

Maybe that's why the BBC have decided that sport should be based in Salford.

Corrie actors reguarly appearing on This Morning dates back to when it was a Granada TV production from Liverpool, with one of Granada's main productions being Coronation Street.

So true , Salford might be a crap hole , but Manchesters plastification /building of some decent hotels means its looking a lot less like the bombsite it did years ago, besides the North West can boast having Gandolph appear in Corrie & Mckellan does hail from the north along with Warringtons Daniel Craig. Having to slum it in Manchester didnt harm the Havers, nearly anybody whose anybody in pop music has done shows at the cricket ground , City of Manchester stadium , the MEN arena & the Apollo & lived to tell the tale. So whats hard about getting them in or trotting off to one of the major hotels for a interview?

Anyone would think life didnt exist north of Milton Keynes. Manchester maybe about 10 years behind London , but because its not become a third world ghetto with a few decent restaurants & a flash department store , doesnt mean the city is still stuck in the Victorian era, we do posses running tap water from the Lakes, electricty etc.

Theres more to a breakfast show than interviewing crappy American actors promoting their latest killing/ explosion & shouting fests.

As for ITV , why they just dont jack it in beats me , same old same, names, names on big fat contracts are no garuntee of success if the format is a total dogs dinner. Getting Igglepiggle & Uppsy Daisy fronting the show with MaccaPacca doing the celebrity section would probably make more of a dent in the viewing figures, well cbeebies at least. Toss up whats aimed at pre-schoolers cbeebies or ITV's schedule?

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you will find more BBC drama is being produced in Cardiff and Dumbarton than Manchester. From my (limited) viewing of BBC Breakfast interviews with celebs form a very small part of the programme.My own concern is that all the experts from London universities and stock brokers who are usually wheeled on will be replaced by experts from Manchester universities and stock brokers, so the London ''bias'' (if you believe there is one) will be replaced by the Manchester ''bias''. However the good news is that now Sir Alex Ferguson and the BBC have kissed and made up Fergie can be a daily guest on the sofa (and Chris Hollins won't be there either which is the other bit of good news).Sir Alex will while away his retirement slagging off the Blue end of Manchester and the Red end of Liverpool.
  • Options
    Digi DanDigi Dan Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sherisgirl wrote: »
    Dan Lobb can take him or leave him, this morning when he was about to ask Dianne Abbot a question he said before he asked, "well your going to disagree any way", the look she gave him made me smile.

He's a complete bafoon... this morning he read the into to a story about a missing man today in such a high positive tone that I found it uncomfortable that the mans wife was sat on the sofa.