Options

Dexter - a recent convert

Comments

• Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loracan wrote: »
    I understood exactly what they meant - the op comes along, starts a thread because they've justed started season 5 and want to avoid spoilers about later seasons...and oh look! Someone comes along and waffles on about what was wrong with seasons 6, 7 & 8.

Spoiling nothing.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am now on the final season
    Season 7 was just mind blowing. I have 10 episodes to go until it all ends. I think i will do a binge watch this weekend.
  • Options
    hammerfanhammerfan Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm near the end of season 6, want to avoid spoilers so won't read the thread. Have loved it apart from Season 3. I didn't like Miguel very much, and I've never liked Quinn, I'm wondering how many more coats of ronseal he'll have before the end of the show!

*slinks back to cave to avoid all spoilers!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So here it is
    I am sitting down to watch the final episode

Season 8 has been terrific. Fail to see why people haven't liked it but fair enough
    Jennifer Carpenter has been on fire. Huge crime she has never been nominated for any awards. Maybe she will be recognised at this year's emmys for the final season. Plus Charlotte Rampling has been great as well. She's one of those actresses who doesn't try too hard in her performances. It comes naturally and that's rare.
  • Options
    SideshowMarkSideshowMark Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    So here it is
    I am sitting down to watch the final episode

Season 8 has been terrific.

I bet you don't feel the same in an hours time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet you don't feel the same in an hours time.

I did. I thought it was a brilliant finale. So heartbreaking. But for me, everything came full circle. I am happy with how it was left.
  • Options
    gcmacgcmac Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did. I thought it was a brilliant finale. So heartbreaking. But for me, everything came full circle. I am happy with how it was left.

I agree with you that I really enjoyed season 8 and didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as the criticism it gets, but I really didn't like what happened in probably about the last 10 minutes of the finale. A lot of it didn't feel right to me.

I do think the acting by all was fantastic the whole way through and I agree that Jennifer Carpenter really shone in the last couple of seasons. I loved Debs character and thought they developed this character very well.
  • Options
    VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leave S1 as it is.

Take the best elements of S2 and S3: the hunt for the butcher, Doakes on Dexter's case and the 'Dexter finds a friend/protege' storyline - but with a more believable character than Miguel, and a less irritating one than Lila. Combine all these to make a really strong second season.

S4 becomes S3.

S4 is the final season and involves Dexter's secret being exposed.

^ My blueprint for making Dexter essentially a perfect show. Sadly it wasn't to be...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    I'm halfway through season four. That John Lithgow character seems a complete nut job. I have enjoyed all the seasons equally. I know some people think the third was inferior but I take issue with that.

Because I've got a long way to go, I sneak peek future episodes on IMDB. It seems to enhance my enjoyment for some reason. I do the same with The Good Wife.
  • Options
    Marianne_321Marianne_321 Posts: 25,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GibsonGirl wrote: »
    So far you will have only seen the very best of Dexter. The greatest baddies and Dexter in his prime. However, the show does start to head south with the storyline involving Lumen (Julia Stiles). Then it takes even more of a nosedive when it introduces Hannah (played by Chuck's Yvonne Strahovski). With the latter we see Dexter behaving completely out of character. Then in the final season we get Dr Vogel (Charlotte Rampling) and something that could have been interesting becomes rather bland and predictable. There is also a horrendous storyline involving Masuka that goes nowhere As for the final episode. It was an insult and the show bowed out with a tepid whimper instead of a glorious bang.

I agree with most of this, except the storyline involving Lumen. I actually really enjoyed season 5. Season 6 to 8 went totally down hill for me and I hated Hannah & how the show ended. It's was such a shame. I have the box set for seasons 1 - 5, and that is how I will leave it. I have no intention of getting the rest. I think the best seasons were 1, 2 & 4 & 5 for me!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Finally finished this series last night. Disappointed.
  • Options
    hammerfanhammerfan Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bump for the thread - well, I finished it. Was left with a is that it feeling, but can see what the writers were going for, I can't help but think that ideas that were posted in the season 8 thread (so I won't post any spoilers here) would have been better.
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I know you won't take this advice (I didn't) but don't bother with the last season. It really does ruin the rest of the show.

Yes, I agree. Loved Dexter for most of its run. But the ending, giving nothing away for newcomers, was probably the worst ending of a hit series I've ever seen. Completely spoiled a brilliant show.
  • Options
    daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    I seem to be in the absolute minority, but I loved the finale of Dexter and still would class it as one of my favourite shows. At times it may have dragged a little, but I was always hooked throughout.
    Jennifer Carpenter in particular was fantastic, and her final scene with Dexter was incredibly moving.
  • Options
    Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of people say it went downhill after season 4, but i fail to see it yet
    Julia Stiles has been a brilliant addition. I've loved her since Save the last dance anyway
    I do feel Maria Doyle Kennedy has been severely underused. She was brilliant in The Tudors and was excellent in Orphan Black last year. She's just seems to be there for the sake of it and a storyline built upon her character could of easily had been created. Waste of a good actresses talent.

But i know season 8 has gotten a lot of criticisms, as did the finale. I am hoping to be done with Dexter by the end of the month to see why it divided opinon.
    Yep I initially thought dexters nanny was going to have some connection to someone dexter had killed in the past , a bit of a waste relly . Anyway I'm on season 6 right now and I am enjoying it. Probably my 3rd favourite season after 1 and 4 . Some of the murders I thought were genius and very striking . Colin hanks reluctant villain and his leader were both superb so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep I initially thought dexters nanny was going to have some connection to someone dexter had killed in the past , a bit of a waste relly . Anyway I'm on season 6 right now and I am enjoying it. Probably my 3rd favourite season after 1 and 4 . Some of the murders I thought were genius and very striking . Colin hanks reluctant villain and his leader were both superb so far.

Season 6 was awful and apart from the finale, it had no relevance or effect to what occurred prior and after the season. It was that bad that I skipped many episodes and jumped to the finale. It turns out it is widely hated among many critics and Dexter fans anyway, to the point many wondered if the show would ever recover. Colin Hanks clearly hasn't inherited any acting talent from his father as he was laughable as the Season 6 villian.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    danielleh wrote: »
    I seem to be in the absolute minority, but I loved the finale of Dexter and still would class it as one of my favourite shows. At times it may have dragged a little, but I was always hooked throughout.
    Jennifer Carpenter in particular was fantastic, and her final scene with Dexter was incredibly moving.
    Don't even go there. I was in floods of tears throughout that scene and that was largely due to Jennifer's performance. I am hoping she bags an emmy nomination this summer. Although the show is about dexter, it was Deb's character who i largely indentified with and found her journey keeping me glued to the series
  • Options
    Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 6 was awful and apart from the finale, it had no relevance or effect to what occurred prior and after the season. It was that bad that I skipped many episodes and jumped to the finale. It turns out it is widely hated among many critics and Dexter fans anyway, to the point many wondered if the show would ever recover. Colin Hanks clearly hasn't inherited any acting talent from his father as he was laughable as the Season 6 villian.
    In your opinion. I've never liked Colin hanks as an actor but in my opinion this is the best role I've seen him in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In your opinion. I've never liked Colin hanks as an actor but in my opinion this is the best role I've seen him in.

Of course it is in my opinion, i am not speaking on behalf of Great britain, am i? :)
    Let's not state the obvious
  • Options
    SideshowMarkSideshowMark Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    Colin Hanks clearly hasn't inherited any acting talent from his father as he was laughable as the Season 6 villian.

After his turn in Dexter I would have agreed with you, but he's been brilliant in Fargo, so far, as a police deputy struggling with doing the right thing.
  • Options
    rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they bottled it in terms of an ending that would have been an ENDING. They had the visions of spin-offs and left it open.
    Not the best ending for me. Much like Star trek Voyager. Series was great but the ending ruined it.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    rhynoGB wrote: »
    I think they bottled it in terms of an ending that would have been an ENDING. They had the visions of spin-offs and left it open.
    That's the general consensus isn't it?
    I'm not sure what excuses they've came out with - possibly that he's too much of a sentimental character to kill him off but please, have some balls and give the series the ending that it deserved.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think killing him off would have been the easy way out, both for the writers and the character.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    Dexter should have been found out in the end. Ridiculous that he never was.
  • Options
    rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BossLid wrote: »
    Dexter should have been found out in the end. Ridiculous that he never was.

Even if he went off into the sunset as the rest of his friends found out the truth would have been a better ending.
    I would have loved to have seen the reactions of his friends. Shame it never happened.