Options

housing advocacy for nutters.......

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    [/B]

Good then whilst people are laughing more and more funding will be lost.

Mental health is a serious issue.

I work for an NHS trust and i can tell you beds are being slahed left right and centre visa vi mental health.,Still carry on Laughing.;-)

You obviously don't know much about Annette's life. Believe me if she didn't laugh she would be suicidal. Life has been really crap for her lately which hasn't helped her Mental Health any hence the need in looking for a new house/flat.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    So do I.

Well, I did, now a student so can return to said trust with more responsibility.

And yes I am aware how things are in mental health services.

I think we will just have to agree to disagree here. Well, we aren't even disagreeing on anything, so I'm actually quite confused.

No i agree all i do not like is the use of the word "nutter" for any patient with mental health problems which of course was the titile of this thread.

For years and years we have battled this stigma only for it to start re-appearing.:(

Ill people are not "nutters" IMO.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    You obviously don't know much about Annette's life. Believe me if she didn't laugh she would be suicidal. Life has been really crap for her lately which hasn't helped her Mental Health any hence the need in looking for a new house/flat.

No i agree with that but not the use of the word "nutter" which i and many in mental health have been trying to eradicate for years.:)

She could try shelter on 0808 800 4444 for help.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

Wel lit was you who said your "nut Doctor" liked a good laugh no assumptions there.

Wel li apologise for the comment about the internet i made.

But not about your use of the term "nutters" which i also found rude and offensive after spending years trying to fight this term being used for mentally ill people.

i see nothing wrong with mine, or anyone else`s doctor laughing at someone on an internet forum rather absurdly assessing my mental health by remote based on a couple of posts not even about it.
  • Options
    snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,109
    Forum Member
    in common with every other nutter i know - and as a life long mental health sufferer i`ve collected quite a few over the years - i`m not offended by the term any more than i am by someone using eff off as an exclamation of surprise.

i DO find it offensive when someone appears to make the assumption that someone who is mentally ill is incapable of using the internet.

;-);-);-)spot on
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No i agree with that but not the use of the word "nutter" which i and many in mental health have been trying to eradicate for years.:)

i`ve got physically disabled friends who refer to themselves as cripples would you have the brass neck to tell those grown adults that they shouldn`t? what terms i use to describe MYSELF are none of your business.
  • Options
    snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,109
    Forum Member
    Richard and Annette, you are on the same side

more power to you both
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a 'nutter' myself, although I don't personally use the term I'm not offended by it, I do think people telling us what we can or cannot call ourselves somewhat offensive.

How about the next time you see a group of balck guys using the N word you go and tell them how offensive it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i`ve got physically disabled friends who refer to themselves as cripples would you have the brass neck to tell those grown adults that they shouldn`t? what terms i use to describe MYSELF are none of your business.

Maybe not but on a public forum you cannot say "its none of your buisiness" rather you can but do not expect to get away with it.

What you say may well suit you but not people who are trying to avoid the "nutter" stigma.

But then again mental health funding is dispappering so quickly now you may have even more to worry about in future,still none of my buisiness EH.;-)
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in common with every other nutter i know - and as a life long mental health sufferer i`ve collected quite a few over the years - i`m not offended by the term any more than i am by someone using eff off as an exclamation of surprise.

Well, good for you. I'm not so much offended as rather saddened by the term. Also by the fact that you think "eff off" is an acceptable exclamation of surprise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard and Annette, you are on the same side

more power to you both

Thanks probably time to call a truce.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    As a 'nutter' myself, although I don't personally use the term I'm not offended by it, I do think people telling us what we can or cannot call ourselves somewhat offensive.

How about the next time you see a group of balck guys using the N word you go and tell them how offensive it is.

Of course you're free, as is the OP, to call themselves what you like but what do you mean "we"???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    anyone wanting to discuss how i speak can start a thread on general discussion if you please, i`m here, stressed about my situation, on ADVICE for links on housing advocacy and nothing more.

i don`t know why i bothered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anyone wanting to discuss how i speak can start a thread on general discussion if you please, i`m here, stressed about my situation, on ADVICE for links on housing advocacy and nothing more.

I'm sorry that your thread has been hijacked (and for being part of the hijacking) but if you will use an inflammatory term in your title, you must expect some kind of response.

I hope you manage to find the links you're looking for.
  • Options
    Brain DonorBrain Donor Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, Richard, does repeatedly berating a person suffering from a severe mental illness, even going so far as to tell her what she should be thinking, make you feel big?

Homosexuals have reclaimed the word "Queer", non-white peopole have reclaimed the term "Black". Why wouldn't you want the mentally ill to gain power over the term "Nutter" by reclaiming it for their own use?

Get over yourself.

Edit: Sorry annette, I posted that before I saw your last posting. Here's a link to help make up for it http://www.rethink.org/services-groups/service-types/advocacy

You may also find some help or advice here http://blurtitout.org/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, Richard, does repeatedly berating a person suffering from a severe mental illness, even going so far as to tell her what she should be thinking, make you feel big?

Homosexuals have reclaimed the word "Queer", non-white peopole have reclaimed the term "Black". Why wouldn't you want the mentally ill to gain power over the term "Nutter" by reclaiming it for their own use?

Get over yourself.

I have not tried to tell her what to think either and if i have i have apologised.

You might think that but i as a mental health service user for 20 years have been trying to battle the "nutter" stigma.

Not a question of me getting over myself but it reflects how others see you.

"Queer"" Homosexuals" may be a word people have reclaimed with some successs.

But with mental health funding shrinking year by year at a dramatic rate,and care in the community having failed,getting over oneself is the least of the worries.;-)

As for attacking me yourself i am big enough to accept it.;-)

Also its illegal to discriminate against "homosexuals" i see people with mental health issues being discriminated against all the time.Can you imangine putting the word "nutter" on an apllication form.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I did post a number for shelter who can give you up to date housing advice and help to be fair.:)

I do actually hope your problem gets resolved please do try shelter in the morning.

They also offer help with advocacy too.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member

It could be worse annette, you could have asked whether your friend should report being attacked by a muslim gang ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    It could be worse annette, you could have asked whether your friend should report being attacked by a muslim gang ;-)

if he was asking that in advice you`d have a point, same as if i was asking this in gd.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    if he was asking that in advice you`d have a point, same as if i was asking this in gd.

I might see if I can get that thread moved to advice actually, the OP isn't getting the special kind of pasting that we do so well over here!

I do take your point though.
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, what do you think us normal people should do with all these nutters? Lock them away? A bit expensive as we would need to feed them, or should we let them starve? Or just put them to death? That would be quicker. Perhaps you would like to be given the job.

You really ought to come clean and say you know. Mrs Thatcher thought they should just be let out and roam the streets, but perhaps you think she was a bit of a softy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Johnbee wrote: »
    OP, what do you think us normal people should do with all these nutters? Lock them away? A bit expensive as we would need to feed them, or should we let them starve? Or just put them to death? That would be quicker. Perhaps you would like to be given the job.

You really ought to come clean and say you know. Mrs Thatcher thought they should just be let out and roam the streets, but perhaps you think she was a bit of a softy.

have you read any of this thread at all? "us" normal people?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Johnbee wrote: »

Let's start again, go back to page one and read the whole thread again. Then come back with proper advice if you have any. Sorry Annette, I have jumped into your thread too and had no advice for you either. :blush: xx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Let's start again, go back to page one and read the whole thread again. Then come back with proper advice if you have any. Sorry Annette, I have jumped into your thread too and had no advice for you either. :blush: xx

Sorry avasgranny its all to do with the thread title.

I have given advice IE phone shelter in the morning they supply advice on housing and advocacy.

After disagreeing on wording that is the best "advice" i can offer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry avasgranny its all to do with the thread title.

I have given advice IE phone shelter in the morning they supply advice on housing and advocacy.

After disagreeing on wording that is the best "advice" i can offer.

Hey what are you apologizing for? :D Annette and I are friends here and in rl. Sadly I live too far away to be there to help her and support her. If I lived nearer I would be there in a shot. I guess I know more about her homelife than most on here so I do feel protective towards her. My point wasn't to you, sorry if you thought it was. I am really hoping that life gets easier for her from here on in.