Options

Shortest lived TV channel

Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,692
Forum Member
✭✭
We have seen many channels come and many channels go on the EPG over the years, and it got me thinking. Which TV channel actually had the shortest lifespan ?

Comments

• Options
    MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to remember L!VE TV a few years back, it came and went bust.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Setanta Sports didn't last all that long
    The original ITV Digital which brought some football clubs close to bankruptcy
    The Weather Channel
    ITV News Channel (ITV wouldn't fund it any more)
    What was the channel with the News Bunny and Topless Darts (female I hasten to add) ?

I'm sure there are more but can't think of any at the moment
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was guessing it might be one or two of the quiz/gaming channels but i could be wrong.
  • Options
    KreedKaferKreedKafer Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have seen many channels come and many channels go on the EPG over the years, and it got me thinking. Which TV channel actually had the shortest lifespan ?

Actually it was a "channel" with no real name that lasted about 3 or 4 weeks around 1995.

What it consisted of was American programming from Sky One and was shown for a portion of the day on one of the other Sky channels not being used during those times. It may have been one of the movie channels.

It was not publicised. In the mornings you would simply turn to that transponder and see a list of programmes to follow. It may have only been on weekdays too but at the time it was worth watching. Very short lived.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    I remember ABC1 launching on freeview to some big hype, that can't of lasted more than a few years!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm, looking back the ITV Sport Channel didn't last too long, about 9 months or so. L!VE TV ran for a good for years before that shut down.

Granada Talk TV only lasted about 11 months before they pulled the plug.

WB-TV they hyped to death and that didn't even launch at all!
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if you can count the original launch of Quest which got as far as running the promo clips on the day before being pulled at the last minute. The embarrassing thing was that they had held a massive launch celebration party days before.
  • Options
    darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TWC 2,legal tv,the sailing channel and Brit hits only lasted a few months on sky (cant remeber its name but there was a varity channel run by richard digence that only lasted a few months too )
  • Options
    NightdeamonNightdeamon Posts: 3,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBM Freeview Channel 22, appeared on the EPG never showed anything - You cant get shorter lived than that :D
  • Options
    FatboyfunFatboyfun Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    Nuts Tv
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BET HD came on air last year for one programme.
  • Options
    draig gochdraig goch Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darnall42 wrote: »
    TWC 2,legal tv,the sailing channel and Brit hits only lasted a few months on sky (cant remeber its name but there was a varity channel run by richard digence that only lasted a few months too )

Sound TV ?

Didn't that become Information TV or something ?

Also what about Vibe TV (I think) which consisted of 2 or 3 programmes about some wannabe pop star, IIRC financed by her sugar daddy boyfriend ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sound TV lasted 7 and a half months. Real shame as I liked that channel
  • Options
    zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Setanta Sports didn't last all that long
    The original ITV Digital which brought some football clubs close to bankruptcy
    The Weather Channel
    ITV News Channel (ITV wouldn't fund it any more)
    What was the channel with the News Bunny and Topless Darts (female I hasten to add) ?

I'm sure there are more but can't think of any at the moment

The ITV News Channel lasted for four years and the channel with the News Bunny was Live TV which lasted for a number of years on cable but was rehashed for Sky with all its old programming reused and didnt last long.

One potential winner could be the original Sky 2 back in 1996. It lasted for one calendar year, with programming nabbed from Sky One with extra new programming for 2.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sky Sports Gold

Used to love that - Bobby Charlton's football scrapbook with Dickie Davies

"A pint of bitter was 10p, Slade topped the charts and David Coleman was your commentator"

Classic
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mobile Crazy maybe? Best thing to do is just read back through some of the Sky channels threads. Thinks: was it You TV who launched a channel without a broadcasting licence?
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Minx only lasted around four weeks before NME TV replaced it.
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Mobile Crazy.TV lasted weeks.
    Im sure one of the Pop/Tiny Pop +1 channels lasted a few weeks before changing into a music channel.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    sportxchange only lasted a few months if not even less
  • Options
    mattybmattyb Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Angel TV. I think it was called that. It was a channel launched by some bloke to promote his girlfriend's music career, which like the channel ended up on its arse within two months. All it showed was her music video and one interview. :rolleyes:

There was a rival to Sky Box Office in the early days of Sky Digital called U: Direct, that showed all kinds of movies from 99p upwards.

Nick at Nite, this was advertised loads along with WBTV and Comedy Channel. But never happened. It was shame that WBTV never launched.

Taste CFN, that closed within months.

CNX, this was a good channel but lasted months because it later became Jetix.

The Money Channel, this ceased because of financial difficulties. How ironic :rolleyes:

FilmFour Extreme and World.
    Game Network.
    London TV
    Solent TV
    Nuts TV
    Sky Soap
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    garyessex wrote: »
    Im sure one of the Pop/Tiny Pop +1 channels lasted a few weeks before changing into a music channel.

Sticking with Chart Show TV channels, Scuzz +1 launched on a Monday and was gone by the Wednesday. I think they were perhaps under contract to launch it as Scuzz and then could reuse it for something else. There was also a Flaunt +1 which lasted a bit longer but soon become another POP kids channel.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Hmm, looking back the ITV Sport Channel didn't last too long, about 9 months or so. L!VE TV ran for a good for years before that shut down.

Granada Talk TV only lasted about 11 months before they pulled the plug.

WB-TV they hyped to death and that didn't even launch at all!
    Same goes for Nick at Nite.

Sky 2 only lasted a year before being replaced by the National Geographic Channel. Granada Talk did indeed last 11 months, and the final day's programmes were replaced by a Sky News simulcast, due to Princess Diana's death. Both closed on 31st August 1997.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Wellbeing, the Boots/YorkshireTV channel could only have broadcast for a few months
  • Options
    RAMRAM Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Brit Hits. About 3 months.
  • Options
    jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    This has got to be one of the strong contenders

P-Rock, a music channel on Sky

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-Rock