Interview Outfit Advice?

Hey folks,

I was wondering if I could have a bit of advice. I have a job interview this week for a post at a creative agency and I was unsure what to wear for the interview. There was no indication on the invitation of of a dress code but the industry is pretty casual.

I was thinking of trying to make an impression with a dressed up casual. I considered going for a dark chambray workshirt with a grey/brown tweed blazer, a pair of dark brown chinos, and brown boots (http://www.asos.com//Asos/Asos-Leather-And-Canvas-Moc-Toe-Boot/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2364271) and a loose black skinny tie.

I was wondering what people think of this look? I'm quite short and average build (size 28-30 waist) If I was on the right track of if there was any other suggestions of appropriate interview outfits?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers

Comments

• SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think a straightforward suit / shirt / tie would be too formal ? That's perhaps what I would suggest, but I'm older than you and maybe out of touch ! What you have thought about wearing sounds cool though ( and co-ordinated too ) :)
  • muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A nice unit with crisp white shirt, leather shoes ith a heel well polished and matching small business li bag. Arrive in plenty fitness to freshen up and ce k out all s ok clothing else. Don heap on makeup neutral and minimal

Your creative bit will be after you get the job and what you have to say. If you get the dress code wrong you are already on a back footing. Pay safe
  • ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be on the safe side & wear a suit.

What you wear in the office & what you wear to get a job are different things...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty sure a full suit wouldn't be appropriate for the sort of business/sector the job is in. I still want to look quite sharp and smart but without going for a formal suit.

Though if a suit is the way forward what sort of style would you folks recommend?
  • ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you don't want to wear a suit then wear a non-matching formal jacket, shirt & trousers & leather shoes.

For your own sake, don't turn up for an interview in chinos, tweed jacket, brown boots & a skinny tie.. it's totally clueless on so many levels.

Once you've got the job you can wear that to your heart's content.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our office dress is smart casual but I would still expect everyone I interview to be smart and not casual.

For a man, shirt, tie and smart trousers at the very least but a suit is always preferable. Most places would expect you to make the effort and then advise you of the dress code when you accet the job
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Christa wrote: »

For your own sake, don't turn up for an interview in chinos, tweed jacket, brown boots & a skinny tie.. it's totally clueless on so many levels.

I know I'm going to sound like a complete idiot asking, but do you mind telling me why its totally clueless? Just for reference :)

Thanks