Stephen Fry

GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
Forum Member
Stephen Fry tried to commit suicide last year with a 'huge a number of pills and vodka' but was only saved when a producer found his unconscious body

Brave of Stephen for coming out with this, not easy to spoke of it. All the best and hope you will be happy.

Comments

• Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goaty wrote: »
    Stephen Fry tried to commit suicide last year with a 'huge a number of pills and vodka' but was only saved when a producer found his unconscious body

Brave of Stephen for coming out with this, not easy to spoke of it. All the best and hope you will be happy.

How sad .. I know he suffers from depression ..
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    revealed all in an interview as part of Herring's series of podcasts for the British Comedy Guide website.

Mr Fry's interview was conducted last Monday in front of a live audience at a London theatre and is the 18th in a series which are generally meant to be comic as well as revealing.
    Comedy gold! :o
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    He's always been open about his depression.
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just about to watch the interview now (it can be bought as a video from http://www.gofasterstripe.com/ or downloaded free as an audio podcast).

All the RHLSTPs are worth listening to if you haven't already done so.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats a shame. I'm glad he was found. I remember watching the documentaries he made about depression, they were very good, quite moving.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    Is he receiving treatment for his chronic smugness
  • DallyDally Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    All the RHLSTPs are worth listening to if you haven't already done so.[/QUOTE]

What are RHLSTPs please?
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dally wrote: »

What are RHLSTPs please?

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcasts.

All are available for free wherever you might usually get your podcasts from.
  • cal4751cal4751 Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    Thats a shame. I'm glad he was found. I remember watching the documentaries he made about depression, they were very good, quite moving.

Yes we cannot loose Stephen, he's such a very entertaining warm, kind and a very intelligent man. I found those documentaries moving too.
    Stay strong Stephen.

I read on his Twitter page he's now on better medication and feeling it's helping him.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so sad to hear this and glad he's okay. His bi-polar documentary a few years was both fascinating and insightful - he was keen to open up about it and to understand its impact on others and how they managed it. I think he's on medication now, but for a long time chose not to, for fear it might dampen his creativity during his manic phase, or highs. Clearly though, his upbeat, articulate, jovial manner masks a desperate struggle underneath for him. I really like Stephen and hope he can get his moods stabilised more consistently - enough to feel happier and cope.
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just a tad suspicious of celebs coming out with their suicide attempts. It was Phil Collins a while back. You have to wonder why these people are so keen for everyone to know about it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/nov/11/phil-collins-suicide-spinal-injury
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    I'm just a tad suspicious of celebs coming out with their suicide attempts. It was Phil Collins a while back. You have to wonder why these people are so keen for everyone to know about it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/nov/11/phil-collins-suicide-spinal-injury

You make it sound as if a celebrity wakes up in the morning, thinks 'I want everyone to know about my suicide attempt' and picks the phone up. That is not what happened here. There was an interview, and the conversation happened to turn to this revelation.
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any Ideas wrote: »
    You make it sound as if a celebrity wakes up in the morning, thinks 'I want everyone to know about my suicide attempt' and picks the phone up. That is not what happened here. There was an interview, and the conversation happened to turn to this revelation.

I do feel sorry for him because of his well documented condition. But celebs are also attention seekers by definition and - in the case of Collins - I couldn't help thinking he was looking for some sympathy - which he didn't get - and some good press for a change. I think Fry needs to get off Twitter, get out of showbiz and get some real help because he doesn't seem to be getting better. Is being a professional celeb really doing him any good?
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any Ideas wrote: »

Yes, he revealed it when talking about his extreme mood swings, whilst in conversation with comedian Richard Herring.....

(snip)

'I am the victim of my own moods, more than most people are perhaps, in as much as I have a condition which requires me to take medication so that I don't get either too hyper or too depressed to the point of suicide,' said Fry, who first disclosed contemplating killing himself 18 years ago.

'I would go as far as to tell you that I attempted it last year, so I'm not always happy. This is the first time I've said this in public, but I might as well.'
  • grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,954
    Forum Member
    Put the canonisation on hold, we've now found something he is shit at, ie suicide.
  • finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Insufferable, smug and pompous bore. Kind of like a "Through the Mirror, Darkly" Jeremy Clarkson.
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do feel sorry for him because of his well documented condition. But celebs are also attention seekers by definition and - in the case of Collins - I couldn't help thinking he was looking for some sympathy - which he didn't get - and some good press for a change. I think Fry needs to get off Twitter, get out of showbiz and get some real help because he doesn't seem to be getting better. Is being a professional celeb really doing him any good?

he has a lifelong condition which is going to include severe ups and downs of moods. He probably gains a great deal of enjoyment and personal satisfaction from his career and it's a credit to Fry that he has acheived so much in spite of his bi polar disorder.
  • jack pattersonjack patterson Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, he revealed it when talking about his extreme mood swings, whilst in conversation with comedian Richard Herring.....

(snip)

'I am the victim of my own moods, more than most people are perhaps, in as much as I have a condition which requires me to take medication so that I don't get either too hyper or too depressed to the point of suicide,' said Fry, who first disclosed contemplating killing himself 18 years ago.

'I would go as far as to tell you that I attempted it last year, so I'm not always happy. This is the first time I've said this in public, but I might as well.'

Yes thousands possibly millions suffer it,the difference is us plebs don't get a fat cheque and a pat on the head everytime we mention it as nobody is interested, they have got their own problems.So like everything it passes and anything is possible if choose to live to fight another day,but not if we choose not to.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm so sad to hear this and glad he's okay.
    I agree.

I always like to see him laughing and for him not to be sad. Hope he finds something to focus on, that gives him some of those happier moments that make it all worthwhile.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    Yes thousands possibly millions suffer it,the difference is us plebs don't get a fat cheque and a pat on the head everytime we mention it as nobody is interested, they have got their own problems.So like everything it passes and anything is possible if choose to live to fight another day,but not if we choose not to.

I suffer from Depression myself, not bipolar disorder like Stephen Fry, but even so i find that when public figures open up about their own issues it helps remove the stigma that can surround mental health issues. So i'm grateful to anyone who tries to put across what living with mental health problems is really like, as some believe that it's just 'attention seeking behaviour'.
    Honestly i hear this same argument every time this type of thing is mentioned, just because he happens to be more successful career and financially wise, do people really think that he suffers from mental illness less? And that it's less damaging?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Not sure if that would help. He seems the type who likes being busy and doing different tv subjects and I would guess that a majority of his close friends are also in the industry.
  • jack pattersonjack patterson Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suffer from Depression myself, not bipolar disorder like Stephen Fry, but even so i find that when public figures open up about their own issues it helps remove the stigma that can surround mental health issues. So i'm grateful to anyone who tries to put across what living with mental health problems is really like, as some believe that it's just 'attention seeking behaviour'.
    Honestly i hear this same argument every time this type of thing is mentioned, just because he happens to be more successful career and financially wise, do people really think that he suffers from mental illness less? And that it's less damaging?

It does not matter to me how succesful or wealthy he is,but the fact he maybe exploiting a condition of suffering for his own gain?

I know someone who is bipolar who thinks he is a writer,the trouble is he is only a writer when he is high, where he writes reams of self congratulatory rubbish- when he is low he writes nothing..... the point of this being that Mr Fry would be not to be able to function on the TV, write stage shows and plays if he was bipolar, because apart from anything else he would be peeing the production crew off when he was low.
  • quatroquatro Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fink wrote: »
    Insufferable, smug and pompous bore. Kind of like a "Through the Mirror, Darkly" Jeremy Clarkson.

Yes. Add potty mouth to that too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    It does not matter to me how succesful or wealthy he is,but the fact he maybe exploiting a condition of suffering for his own gain?

I know someone who is bipolar who thinks he is a writer,the trouble is he is only a writer when he is high, where he writes reams of self congratulatory rubbish- when he is low he writes nothing..... the point of this being that Mr Fry would be not to be able to function on the TV, write stage shows and plays if he was bipolar, because apart from anything else he would be peeing the production crew off when he was low.

I don't think he's exploiting the condition at all, he's merely confessing to his own dealings with it, like many others do. Issues such as mental health, where there is misunderstandings about the problem and how it can affect one's life, need people to open up and explain away any misconceptions surrounding it. No one has ever solved anything just by keeping quiet about it, of course these things cannot be rid of but the general population having more knowledge about the details of this illness can only be useful, and Stephen Fry is lucky to be in the position where he can shed light on how Depression actually is to live with.
    In regards to your friend, that is an individual example. Not everyone who suffers from Bipolar disorder reacts the same way, actually a lot of people in the entertainment industry have this condition and can work when both high and low. I hope you're not seriously suggesting that Stephen Fry is pretending to suffer from Bipolar disorder, because that means you are a part of the problem. Many don't believe sufferers as they cannot see the illness themselves and so dismiss them as being 'attention seeking' or liars. Also, knowing people who have it does not mean that you know everything about it. Also, if you watched his 2006 documentary Stephen speaks with his doctor from when he was being treated who actually says that Stephen is bipolar, and i'm not sure if someone would put their career in jeopardy just for Stephen Fry.
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    Goaty wrote: »

Got a book coming out has he?