Why do so many rock and indie fans think...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 935
Forum Member
✭✭
That they are musically superior to everyone else and that their opinion on music is the correct opinion? Many of them seem to think that they can just stereotype people by the kind of music they listen to aswell, for example: all I would have to say is comment somewhere that I'm a fan of something they don't like, then they think it's okay to stereotype you as uneducated, brainless chavs, sheep etc. but for all they know I may also be a fan of some of the music they like to.

In my personal opinion, I'm not saying it's the correct one, but it's just as sheepish to purposely try and listen to everything non mainstream even if they secretly don't even think its that good, just to seem different, superior and not a sheep.

I don't listen to everything mainstream myself. But here and there I do like some things that I hear on the radio, why does that automatically make me a sheep or a chav?
The main time I get it, is when I admit to being a fan of some rap/grime music and I'm female, so of course I instantly get branded as a chav, when in my personal opinion there is good and bad rap/grime, and I like some rap songs because I feel I can relate to some of the lyrics and some of it does sound really good. You don't have to like rappers and MCs yourself to be able to see why some of their music is appealing to some people and to see that not all fans are chavs.

If you aren't into a certain genre, that must mean what you do hear of that genre is probably on the radio, that doesn't mean that one song is a true representation of the entire genre, if you yourself claim to hate mainstream music and that you listen to things that aren't popular then surely you aware of how much amazing music is still being made but isn't largely known, so why is that any different for other genres, and with you knowing that, how can you just dismiss an entire genre.

Sorry for the rant! I am just becoming very fed up with the music snobbery and having to read that I must be a brainless, chav, sheep just because I like certain genres.

Comments

• thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lexii-Mae wrote: »
    That they are musically superior to everyone else and that their opinion on music is the correct opinion? Many of them seem to think that they can just stereotype people by the kind of music they listen to aswell, for example: all I would have to say is comment somewhere that I'm a fan of something they don't like, then they think it's okay to stereotype you as uneducated, brainless chavs, sheep etc. but for all they know I may also be a fan of some of the music they like to.

And you have just stereotyped rock and indie fans, well done!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Where have I stereotyped them? I said why do so many, I didn't say all and I never said 'any person that listen to such and such is such and such' in the way that the people I'm on about do.
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Irony, huh? :D
  • thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On another point,

Anyone, no matter what type of genre they listen to, who says they like a song just to seem cool or part of the crowd is an idiot. Be it Lady Gaga or the latest grime act.

You actually seem to have a snobbish attitude to indie and rock fans by saying many of them are snobs, seems like you think you are superior to them....
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree there is a great deal of music snobbery around and I'm guilty of some of it.
    For me it is more around how much better pop music was in the past than it is now.
    That of course is across genres and I don't rate one genre over another, I just think there are far too many of them these days. I blame the iPod for that.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    I agree there is a great deal of music snobbery around and I'm guilty of some of it.
    For me it is more around how much better pop music was in the past than it is now.
    That of course is across genres and I don't rate one genre over another, I just think there are far too many of them these days. I blame the iPod for that.

Yeah, blame technology, that's real intelligent.

To the OP, I like rock music past and present. I also like Jazz, Blues, Classical and other types of music that you will never find in the charts/mainstream. I do this not because I am a music snob but because that is what I like to listen to. Everyone has different tastes and I do wish people would grow up and accept that without generalising about stereotypes.

Speaking of stereotypes, you know what I hate? The complete bollocks stereotype that rock/metal fans are all long haired teenage males who dress funny and can't get women. It is complete nonsense and anyone who believes the stereotypes about rock fans is a moron.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To the OP, I like rock music past and present. I also like Jazz, Blues, Classical and other types of music that you will never find in the charts/mainstream. I do this not because I am a music snob but because that is what I like to listen to. Everyone has different tastes and I do wish people would grow up and accept that without generalising about stereotypes.

Speaking of stereotypes, you know what I hate? The complete bollocks stereotype that rock/metal fans are all long haired teenage males who dress funny and can't get women. It is complete nonsense and anyone who believes the stereotypes about rock fans is a moron.

It was a joke, actually, about the iPod that is.

Yes, it would be unfair to stereotype rock fans but there are archetypes; long hair, leather jackets, tattoos, satanic symbolism whatever. These are the underlying or original motifs of metal in particular. There's nothing wrong with that they are not universal but they help define rock culture.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member

To be fair, she said "so many", not "all".

I agree with the OP tbh. Nearly every time I see this behaviour it's from rock fans directed and urban/dance music and also pop music.

My parents are just the same, they can't understand why I like hip hop. But if I liked rock music they'd be fine with it.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member

you are correct :cool:
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Anyone, no matter what type of genre they listen to, who says they like a song just to seem cool or part of the crowd is an idiot. Be it Lady Gaga or the latest grime act.

The biggest and worst example of this was in 2006/2007 time when emo music almost because popular. I was in senior school at the time, and a few of the other kids would become an "emo" overnight and come into school with long black hair and fringes the next day. I knew full well most of them weren't really into the music, they were just doing it to get attention.

They'd act all depressed as well. If they wanted to get girls and be popular they should've just cut their hair short and been more lively.

By 2008 they'd all returned back to normal.

I have no problem with people liking that kind of music. But it's annoying when it's so obviously fake and done for attention, and how they stopped listening to the music/following the fashion once it was no longer an "in thing".
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a Classic Rock Fan i do not think i am superior at all the only thing i ask of any band indie,metal,rock,pop.

Can they do the buisiness live? IE produce the Music on stage they have recorded without backing tapes.;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Gilmour and Jimi Hendrix are in a completely different league to that of Beyonce, Katy Perry, Chris Brown etc.

It really isn't all that difficult to see.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The OP has it wrong, it's the other way round now. Rock/indie fans go out of their way to say how great pop acts like Beyonce are because apparently liking aggressively mainstream acts is a sign of coolness now.
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love classic rock and metal, always have since the sixties..but, to be honest, the OP has a point, some fans have always been worse than religious zealots in their critisism of anything 'pop'.
    Whats ironic, is in the early seventies, we metal fans got the same critisism, that rap or pop fans get today. "oh, you only like it cos its 'cool'", "its a meaningless noise, no talent at all, you are being conned".
    These are things said to me in 1971, about the classic rock bands of the time.
    Some people dont seem to get it into their heads is that sometimes people LIKE music they themselves might not, and vica versa.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I hate it when people say I just listen to things because they aren't mainstream, especially when some of the music I like is more mainstream. If I hated more mainstream music, I'd never listen to it. I'd actually say a large proportion of rock and indie is very mainstream and fits into that description.

I think some people see people who only listen to pop as not really all that into music, since they just let the charts dictate what they listen to, so they are seen as more casual music fans. Unless of course, it's the case that, everything they like just happens to be everything that will ever be in the charts, or popular, then fair enough, though it's pretty hard to believe there wouldn't be something more obscure they'd like more, because everyone is so different, and pop just puts all the lowest common denominator aspects of everything together, to sell to the biggest possible market.

I think a lot of people don't like people who are obsessed with image, and are embarrassed to like anything that is different. I find it difficult to relate to people like that. It's not really a case of feeling superior, I just wonder why they'd care so much about what other people think, music taste for me is a personal thing, and I wouldn't change it to fit in with a particular crowd. If you do that with music, what sort of an unbearable suck up are you really? And I also can't understand it because I think they can't be all that passionate about something if they just listen to what is spoon fed and don't make up their own mind and find their own niche in life, and that applies to everything, not just music.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i just like what i like, which is mainly pop, so snobbery does annoy me at times, but i tend to just avoid the usual suspects tbh. its hilarious how people try to justify their hangups about other peoples tastes, but whatever. i like what i like, i seek out the music i want to listen too, its my life and my choices. life's too short to be worried about music "stereotyping" or snobbery and no condescending know-it-all will tell me what i should and shouldn't like. it really is that simple, well it is for me anyway.;-)
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there's a sense that people who only like chart pop aren't really looking and eat only what they are fed. In that sense i wouldn't label them sheep who freely choose their monotonous diet, but more like pet rabbits who eat whatever is pushed through their bars.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there's a sense that people who only like chart pop aren't really looking and eat only what they are fed. In that sense i wouldn't label them sheep who freely choose their monotonous diet, but more like pet rabbits who eat whatever is pushed through their bars.

:D:D:D:D
    Forum Member

Great analogy :D
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people almost seem to think that their music tastes gives them more worth, that it defines them or something.
    It's like that phrase about food "You are what you eat", identifying your worth as a person with certain elements of your life.

I don't agree with that, but people are free to do so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm hoping this is sarcasm otherwise this is the very definition of a musical snob.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a huge fan of rock and metal, but I'm not blinkered about it and look down on other music forms. Also I am a massive fan of eighties synth bands like The Human League, probably because this was the first type of music I got into, and also like pop acts like Abba.
    Only music I don't like is rave music.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping this is sarcasm otherwise this is the very definition of a musical snob.

Why?

There is very good music outside of the charts why is it snobbery to say so.:confused:

When i was young i looked at music that had gone before IE Blues,and Rock n Roll, so i had a rounded view of music.

There are lots of people that only listen to chart stuff nothing wrong with that,but if you are into music big time most would look a little further.
    Forum Member

I think that poster's just saying that there are people who only listen to what's put in front of them & don't look any further, which is true enough. Music isn't a huge priority for a lot of people. I'm not sure what's snobbish about that :confused:
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do find some indie fans to be very up themselves and only consider their music valid, as a fan of the heavier type of rock, I find they can be very dismissive of metal.