Little Mix run out of ideas.

AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Little Mix come under criticism of not be original the new track salute was trying hard to get on Beyonce bandwagon.

Comments

• DizagaoxDizagaox Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adamsk wrote: »
    Little Mix come under criticism of not be original the new track salute was trying hard to get on Beyonce bandwagon.

Salute came out as an album track last November, a full month before Beyonce's release.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dizagaox wrote: »
    Salute came out as an album track last November, a full month before Beyonce's release.

I think the op means it sounds like a Beyonce track and she has been around a long time now.
  • Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Erm....no.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adamsk wrote: »

Apart from yourself who is being critical?
    And does Beyoncé have the sole rights to singing about female assertiveness?
  • LMLM Posts: 63,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps inspired, but i doubt copied.
    The album has a lot of elements that remind me of a bit of The writing's on the wall so perhaps Destiny's child and not soley beyonce were an inspiration.
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They never had any original ideas anyway. They're record company puppets.
  • madiain28madiain28 Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit I immediately thought Beyoncé when I heard the track.
    The difficulty with Little Mix was always going to be music style. They were never a band that formed themselves or grew together musically but immediately put together for a television programme. They all auditioned with their own personality as solo singers only to be given a last chance as deemed not strong enough to be a solo artist.
    So immediately in the spotlight and manufactured to what Syco records deemed what the public want. The difficulty is then finding a uniqueness.
    I agree that all artists to a certain extent copy, take inspiration and try and make what they consider to be the popular choice at any given time however they usually then have what you might as well consider as their own brand.
    You can usually immediately tell who sings what just by hearing a track as they have there own unique sound/ tone and usually these are the artists that have longevity, when artists sound too similar to others they usually have no longevity as they don't really capture the market or fan bases.
    little Mix appear to be trying loads if different styles however each one just sounds like someone else or just another girl band.
  • hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    They never had any original ideas anyway. They're record company puppets.

Yep, they sold their souls to Cowell the day they auditioned for the Crap Factor.

Anyway both Little Mix and Beyonce are terrible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    madiain28 wrote: »
    I must admit I immediately thought Beyoncé when I heard the track.
    The difficulty with Little Mix was always going to be music style. They were never a band that formed themselves or grew together musically but immediately put together for a television programme. They all auditioned with their own personality as solo singers only to be given a last chance as deemed not strong enough to be a solo artist.
    So immediately in the spotlight and manufactured to what Syco records deemed what the public want. The difficulty is then finding a uniqueness.
    I agree that all artists to a certain extent copy, take inspiration and try and make what they consider to be the popular choice at any given time however they usually then have what you might as well consider as their own brand.
    You can usually immediately tell who sings what just by hearing a track as they have there own unique sound/ tone and usually these are the artists that have longevity, when artists sound too similar to others they usually have no longevity as they don't really capture the market or fan bases.
    little Mix appear to be trying loads if different styles however each one just sounds like someone else or just another girl band.

Unless they go back to The Crystals and The Blossoms style, it's unlikely they will sound radically different from the recent girl groups.

Having said that Girls Aloud emerged from the same sort of manufactured process and they got their own sound very quickly.

Sugababes/MKS have a fairly distinct quality sound and style so it doesn't take that much.

I think Little Mix should go for more of a rock/pop sound than they are at present.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    hmeister wrote: »
    Yyep, they sold their souls to Cowell the day they auditioned for the Crap Factor.

Didn't they get created on that show? Or is that what you mean?
  • madiain28madiain28 Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Unless they go back to The Crystals and The Blossoms style, it's unlikely they will sound radically different from the recent girl groups.

Having said that Girls Aloud emerged from the same sort of manufactured process and they got their own sound very quickly.

Sugababes/MKS have a fairly distinct quality sound and style so it doesn't take that much.

I think Little Mix should go for more of a rock/pop sound than they are at present.

I completely agree that it doesn't take much however Girls Aloud were a bit like Will Young they were the first in voting public genre of pop idol/popstars specifically engineered for prime time tv. Before I get the backlash of all the previous variety style programmes. They were the first specifically tv manufactured following a prime time slot with huge global record support. This caught the British public support and media including all prime radio. The tide has hugely turned both in public perception and media. To add to that they just don't have there own specific sound. They also don't really have a huge likability factor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    madiain28 wrote: »
    I completely agree that it doesn't take much however Girls Aloud were a bit like Will Young they were the first in voting public genre of pop idol/popstars specifically engineered for prime time tv. Before I get the backlash of all the previous variety style programmes. They were the first specifically tv manufactured following a prime time slot with huge global record support. This caught the British public support and media including all prime radio. The tide has hugely turned both in public perception and media. To add to that they just don't have there own specific sound. They also don't really have a huge likability factor.

Girls Aloud had some great critical reviews for their second and third albums.
    And a song like 'Biology' is an original pop song in terms of its complex structure and content. Not so much a sound as a message was important.

I think Little Mix have gone for primarily a contemporary R n'B sound. What's so unoriginal about that?

I could imagine a third album which is a little sparser in its arrangements which will get great reviews and appeal to a US audience which they have already done quite well with.

I remember when I first heard Eternal in the 90s thinking how they sounded as good as any of the US groups and I'm beginning to think that about Little Mix.
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YAY for Beyoncé for inventing Feminism!
  • tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Little Mix were a bad idea from day one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmeister wrote: »

The lies
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zone_Out wrote: »
    The lies

S/he is right.
  • hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zone_Out wrote: »
    The lies

Beyonce is overrated and not even the best singer around. I don't even think she's that attractive as people say.
  • Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the 'Atten-shun' hook in the chorus. Unfortunately, I agree that it sounds too much like Girls Run The World to stand alone as its own song, and to be honest the 'girl power' meme has been overworked to the point where it is utterly meaningless.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Source? I haven't read this from anyone who's not a forum poster. Salute does remind me of Run The World (Girls), mainly the video... But I actually think Salute is a better song and absolutely nothing these days is original anyway, especially in pop..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tangsman wrote: »
    Little Mix were a bad idea from day one.

They started off good but now they are just another boring auto-tuned lameband
  • Mina_CameronMina_Cameron Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fkinhell wrote: »
    They started off good but now they are just another boring auto-tuned lameband

They're hardly auto-tuned as they're one of very few pop acts around that can actually sing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're hardly auto-tuned as they're one of very few pop acts around that can actually sing.

I agree that Little Mix can all sing and there is very little auto tuning in any of their work.
    The fact that there are four good singers in the band and they were in some sense chosen to complement each other is a real positive. LM are quite democratic about their singing as well and nearly all the songs feature all four singers.

So LM have gone for the TLC, En Vogue, DC contemporary R nB sound and I don't see that as limiting. Perhaps they don't sound as original or varied as early to middle Sugababes just yet but that's probably the influence of Syco.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the few pop acts who are not doing dance crap. Gone down the urban route, which is refreshing. Not auto-tuned at all either.
  • Mina_CameronMina_Cameron Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    I agree that Little Mix can all sing and there is very little auto tuning in any of their work.
    The fact that there are four good singers in the band and they were in some sense chosen to complement each other is a real positive. LM are quite democratic about their singing as well and nearly all the songs feature all four singers.

So LM have gone for the TLC, En Vogue, DC contemporary R nB sound and I don't see that as limiting. Perhaps they don't sound as original or varied as early to middle Sugababes just yet but that's probably the influence of Syco.

Watching some of the videos from their current tour and seeing how they've all developed as singers has been really interesting and gratifying as a long-time fan. Even the members who were once considered the weak links vocally have upped the game. I love how democratic they are too, it's not a common sight in groups at all. Hopefully the next album will let them fully realise themselves musically, they're getting there.

At this point, it's ludicrous for anyone, even people that hate them, to claim they can't sing.
  • Charlie_TrenchCharlie_Trench Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're still hugely successful in terms of girlbands in the industry so I really don't think they're running out of ideas or not doing well.

It will be really interesting when their third album comes out as Salute changed the game for them in terms of critical reviews as it was widely praised worldwide.