no picture

Help, somtimes when I turn the channel over the picture does not appear for ages and we have to turn the STB off at the mains, but now it keeps disappearing while we are watching it. Its really bad tonight we must have turned it on and off about 20 times. Has anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    Maybe one of your scart wires or other wires are loose. Normally if the picture goes away but there is sound its something to do with your scart bein loose check all wires though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    Been getting this problem a lot here in Hove today but only on certain channels.

Completely lost Channels 4,5, ITV2, SKY1, UKtv earlier. Now pic keeps disappearing again but when you flick down a channel and then back it's ok again.

Any problems we don't know about ntl team? :rolleyes:
  • NiggleNiggle Posts: 293
    Forum Member
    I'm also having problems with no picture on certain channels, and on some they are juddering. Only appears to be affecting the higher numbers.

I've tried resetting both boxes we have, but the same thins is happening on both of them, so I doubt if it the fault is there.
    Looks like a problem in the Hove area as Geoff mentioned, can anyone confirm this?

I've called Ntl several times on 0800 052 2000, the 2 to report a fault, but get an engaged tone, then silence, then I get cut off! Though I'd try the other option 5, but the same thing happens there too.
    Forum Member
    I'm stil having the same problem, so I thought I'd call the fault line again. This time I got a message informing me that the Customer Services Centre is now close and are open between 8am and 8pm.

What use is that if we have a fault out side of those hours :mad:

I'll be at work by 8 tomorrow morning so I'll have to wait until I get home again to call Ntl:.

Hopefully they will find a fault soon, if anyone has even managed to get through to them today.

I even tried the freephone status line (for Internet services) on 0800 0524315. The meaasage says "that problems with their internal systems able to provide limited technical support".

Anyone have any more news???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    No idea Niggle - it really annoys me that on the front of my bill it says the number to call for faults is 24hrs - yeah right!

Oh well, will have to keep flicking the channel up and down everytime it disappears.... never mind The Curse Of Blue Peter on Channel 5 at the mo (sad, I know)... should be...

THE CURSE OF ntl! :D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    your faults sound very much like low signal strength. This will affect groups of channels because they are transmitted in groups of about ten on a frequency, and not all frequencies will be affected the same sometimes. The ITVs for example are often in the same group, as are the BBCs.
    This could be a loose cable in the house, or perhaps a growing fault in the street cabinet. If the latter some of your neighbours may have the same problem. Try asking them. Worst result is they may invte you in to see their holiday snaps at this time of year, best result is you can all try ringing in the fault.
    Leave your box tuned to the dodgy channel when you call in, as now they can measure the signal strength remotely (cwc only) and if it is on a good channel they will think it's ok.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been having exactly the same problems since yesterday lunchtime.
    I'm completely missing half the music channels, sky sports news, TV5, sky 1 mix and most of the others are skipping.
    The only exeptions are bbc1,2, itv1,2, c4, five, channel ntl and sky 1. :(
    Forum Member
    All seems to be back to normal now here in Hove, I had a quick look this morning before 7 and all looked Ok then too.

I hope it's back for Brighton area too, if not a reset of the box usually does the trick.

and thanks for Glooms advise.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, same here, it's back to normal :)