Suspects - Channel 5 12 February (Merged)

Comments

• Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The "make it up as you go along" seems to be in evidence on occasions with this, reminding me of "bad am/dram," so I've "given it up."
  • Old BlokeOld Bloke Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps you should turn the volume up or get your ears checked. It was fine for me.

Don't be so bloody personal! There's nothing wrong with my hearing - if there was I'd be saying the same thing about every other program. The simple fact is that the sound quality on Suspects is poor and the dialogue is mumbled and unclear.
  • listerlister Posts: 568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They say "errrrmm" so much I was expecting them to also say "you know", either that or they start talking slower to give themselves thinking time.

The improvising might have worked if they just did it for the suspects, as you don't expect their responses to be quick. A lot of the handheld camera work is of a shocking standard, and also disorientating.

Overall they could have done a much better job.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member
    Old Bloke wrote: »
    Don't be so bloody personal! There's nothing wrong with my hearing - if there was I'd be saying the same thing about every other program. The simple fact is that the sound quality on Suspects is poor and the dialogue is mumbled and unclear.

Well how do you explain the fact that me and my family can hear it perfectly? Either there's something wrong with your tv or your hearing.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Well how do you explain the fact that me and my family can hear it perfectly? Either there's something wrong with your tv or your hearing.

Nah, why don't you go first, and explain why the FM doesn't seem to have problems with other shows?
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another great episode of Suspects. Very intriguing with some excellent acting from the main cast and guest actors. Still not sure about Fay Ripley though.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    625k in the ratings (inc+1 but obviously not +24). About the same as last week IIRC. Poor again, especially considering they have another 7 weeks worth to get through.
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    I have to have my tv up REALLY aloud while watching this. There is some SERIOUS mumbling going on!

And no, I do not have any hearing problems or have this problem with any other tv programme. They really do mumble, especially the Irish cop.
  • strangerstillstrangerstill Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    The only thing I don't like are the almost constant sirens when they are in the cop shop.
    Forum Member
    Oh missed it, I'll have to catch it on 5 later tonight.
    Other FM's might be right about the volume, I know I've watched something recently with the volume on 30, where it's usually on 10-15 at a push.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The scene on the roof was funny - it seemed totally spontaneous.
    Forum Member
    Roof scene?
    'Who Jack's F'in?'
    ''nobody as usual?'
    'Ha, Ha'
    Is that the bit you're on about?

No problem with the sound in part 3, bit loud when the sirens kicked off at the station.

That was the best episode so far based on the characters involved and storyline.
    The baddies were very bad.
    Had to stop the recording as the 'coming up next week on...' trailer started really dislike those.

Fay Ripley doesn't come over as very commanding, then again she is the 'Boss' does she need to show it.
    It seems like all the reviews I've seen seem to be impressed by the series, 'it's something quite different and it rattles along at a good pace' seems to be the general take.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes that's the bit. I feel that Damien (Jack) didn't know that was coming up!

I agree with you about Fay Ripley.
  • catkins198catkins198 Posts: 712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I too had problems hearing what on earth the characters were saying and there is nothing wrong with my hearing or tv. I don't have problems with other programmes
    Forum Member
    Gill P wrote: »
    Yes that's the bit. I feel that Damien (Jack) didn't know that was coming up!

I agree with you about Fay Ripley.

I suppose she's approachable and you can discuss things, but at the end of the day she's the guvnor with the rank and you do as you're told, which she did a couple of times in the last episode.
    You respect the rank even if you don't respect the person, or something like that.

I've been watching the Vice on ITV3 over the last few weeks, I never saw of knew of it the first time round.
    Ken Stott, blew hot and cold in that, it's a surprise any of his team could suffer his moods or trust his leadership skills.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this episode might be the best yet! Excellent acting from Damien and Clare-Hope - and the rest of the cast were good too. No problem at all with the sound. I think they are settling in even more and because of that I am hoping that there will be another series after this one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    625k in the ratings (inc+1 but obviously not +24). About the same as last week IIRC. Poor again, especially considering they have another 7 weeks worth to get through.

Or not as it turns out. Five have pulled this and Castle will be on next week in it`s place! Another embarrassing flop for the nation`s tatpeddlers.
    ....I am hoping that there will be another series after this one.

No chance. It`s dead.
  • GillypootsGillypoots Posts: 6,808
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    Or not as it turns out. Five have pulled this and Castle will be on next week in it`s place! Another embarrassing flop for the nation`s tatpeddlers.

No chance. It`s dead.

Suspects is being shown next week as per schedule.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gillypoots wrote: »
    Suspects is being shown next week as per schedule.

My mistake, it`s the week after:
    Castle returns on Wednesday 19th March at 10pm in place of Suspects which takes a mid-series break.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where did you get this information?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where did you get this information?

Dancc, Channel 5 fan, in the ratings thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delete
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to say that your source is correct, Straker! I looked on the Radio Times website and Castle will be on the week after next. Ridiculous!
    Forum Member
    Sorry to say that your source is correct, Straker! I looked on the Radio Times website and Castle will be on the week after next. Ridiculous!

Channel 5 says episode 5 is on the 12th.

Jack and Charlie are called out to a park in the early hours where a teenage girl has been stabbed.

Haven't read the episode summary, it's about 4 paragraphs which is probably too much for me, giving away chunks of storyline.

Episode 4 was good too btw, really quite enjoying this series.
    Nice to see Josette Simon on TV too, haven't seen her on TV in years
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The EPGs are now saying it is the last in the series whereas we know for a fact that ten episodes were made. Presumably they are going to show the next five episodes at a later date as was suggested in a previous post.

It is all very mysterious - need Jack Weston to come up with the solution! :)