CS: In praise of Ken

ChattinglilChattinglil Posts: 131
Forum Member
crikey, he's got a right old slating on the SOR thread! Undeserverd in my opinion. For the time in ages, I felt the show came alive. OK, he is not the greatest actor, but I thought last night was really good. I really felt for Deirdre too. She has coped with all this and the longer she didn't tell Ken, the harder it became. Don't forget - until the producers knew that Ken was returning, they couldn't have Deirdre tell him because OF COURSE he would have come back. So although it might be an SOR that she didn't tell him, back in the real world, she couldn't tell him!

Anyway, that's for a different thread!

I thought he was great last night and so was the episode.
Welcome back Ken - huzzah!!!

Comments

• Absolute RotterAbsolute Rotter Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He should be on the stage
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought he was quite good too. Better than a lot on there. Deirdres dramatic acting gets worse by the year though. Someone should tell her to stop the crying as it's horribly unrealistic.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was great to see Ken back on the cobbles where he belongs and I was pleased he was looking so fit and well. :):)
  • dashyork42dashyork42 Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree completely Chattinglil-last nights episode was a notch above recent ones, Ken made it come alive. And the argument with Dierdre! Took me back to the '70's and '80's when they were arguing about Mike Baldwin. :D
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    I thought he was quite good too. Better than a lot on there. Deirdres dramatic acting gets worse by the year though. Someone should tell her to stop the crying as it's horribly unrealistic.

Hear, hear.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ken would have great with the Library storyline, I doubt if Ken was around it wouldn't have Got that far.

Doesn't Deirdrie work for the Council, Ken would have asked her to put a word in.
  • ayrshire lassayrshire lass Posts: 4,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dashyork42 wrote: »
    I agree completely Chattinglil-last nights episode was a notch above recent ones, Ken made it come alive. And the argument with Dierdre! Took me back to the '70's and '80's when they were arguing about Mike Baldwin. :D
    I agree, it reminded me of the old days too, a much better episode than we have had lately.
    Ken would have great with the Library storyline, I doubt if Ken was around it wouldn't have Got that far.

Doesn't Deirdrie work for the Council, Ken would have asked her to put a word in.
    I think Deirdre works at the surgery now, although she never mentions work:confused:
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She used to work for the a Council though yeah
  • LynchpinLynchpin Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was lovely to have Ken back last night. Really enjoyed his performance. Looking forward to his scenes with Peter.
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people liked him/the eps because he hasn't been seen for so long. It was badly written though. How long did it take Ken to say 'I don't trust him.' about Rob? Then there was the continued dragging it out when Deirdre was trying to tell Ken about Peter. Eccles went out the back door and ran off with Deirdre chasing him. Ken went out the front door only to bump into Carla who took to the Rovers of all places and told him everything. Tracy and Rob kept coming and going. And where was Amy? Didn't they go to collect her so that Ken could see her? It was like a poorly written Whitehall farce.
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After Fridays librarygate he turned the show around

Dont mess with ken when he's annoyed
  • silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    It was great to see Ken back on the cobbles where he belongs and I was pleased he was looking so fit and well. :):)

I agree. I've always had a soft spot for Ken/Bill Roach and it was great to see him back in full fighting mode. :D
  • MarcusjllMarcusjll Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed last night's ep. Great to have him back and Dierdre scenes are always welcome! Always makes me laugh, even though yesterday it wasn't intentional :') Well apart from chasing Eccles down the guinnel. HA. Also, Ken never did trust Rob. It wasn't just something that happened yesterday. Before leaving he never did, and they were going to go into it more, but his scenes had to be cut.
  • ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    I think people liked him/the eps because he hasn't been seen for so long. It was badly written though. How long did it take Ken to say 'I don't trust him.' about Rob? Then there was the continued dragging it out when Deirdre was trying to tell Ken about Peter. Eccles went out the back door and ran off with Deirdre chasing him. Ken went out the front door only to bump into Carla who took to the Rovers of all places and told him everything. Tracy and Rob kept coming and going. And where was Amy? Didn't they go to collect her so that Ken could see her? It was like a poorly written Whitehall farce.

...and I think people liked him because they liked him !
  • sorrentosorrento Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's nice to have some stability back on the Street......I liked his opening line..." The street never changes"......at least one of the writers as a sense of humour.
  • Superstar99Superstar99 Posts: 1,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Ken works best when he's given a storyline like this but sadly Deirdre is not as good with this kind of material anymore, she used to be though.

Since they have turned her into Blanche doing lots of comedy scenes its like she has forgotten how to do the dramatic stuff. I guess when you don't get many big storylines you can lose your touch a bit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorrento wrote: »
    It's nice to have some stability back on the Street......I liked his opening line..." The street never changes"......at least one of the writers as a sense of humour.
    Indeed. Surprised how many people apparently missed the deliberate irony of Ken's remark there. It was a touch of genius imo. :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ken needs a real good kicking, shouting at poor Deirdre like that.
    Ruddy tamping I am.
    He’d better not be down the Dog & Biscuit later on is all I’m saying.
  • PopsiemiaPopsiemia Posts: 5,135
    Forum Member
    Just get rid of the jacket, Ken...... it wazs so Yankie Style!
    Between that and the famous kimono dressing gown!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ken needs a real good kicking, shouting at poor Deirdre like that.
    Ruddy tamping I am.
    He’d better not be down the Dog & Biscuit later on is all I’m saying.
    :D:D Oi!! The lovely but flaky Deirdre needed shouting at this once. >:(

Anyway, how could you...........NAAAAAAHT turn up before this??>:( Days you've been gone when you know I rely on you for all my opinions. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Popsiemia wrote: »
    Just get rid of the jacket, Ken...... it wazs so Yankie Style!
    Between that and the famous kimono dressing gown!
    I didn't mind the jacket per se - it was the fact that he'd just landed after a massively long and wearisome flight and still (at what? 82?) didn't feel the need to just rip off his grubby travel-stained clothes and fall into a hot bath that amazed me. :o (I have to do that after a 15 minute train journey back from Manchester, never mind a long haul flight). :o

And if he still had that much energy, why didn't he drag Deirdre upstairs for some (surely) much needed 'together time'. He's been gone 16 months ffs! :o:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D:D Oi!! The lovely but flaky Deirdre needed shouting at this once. >:(

Anyway, how could you...........NAAAAAAHT turn up before this??>:( Days you've been gone when you know I rely on you for all my opinions. :(

Bloody fuming I am OJ, making Deirdre cry like that with her croaky voice.
    Who the absolute blazes does he think he is!
    Swanning back in like that, trying to get off with Carla in the pub, then going home and laying into the Deirdre.
    I'll break his ruddy back for him when I see him and no mistake.
    He deserves a good thumping for that white jacket alone.

PS. Sorry lovely, been up to my eyes in football copy ready for the new season.
  • foxy23foxy23 Posts: 4,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the Ken and Deidre scenes last night were ace :)
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Deirdre. Spends all that time getting the house ready for his return and then he swans in and chews it all up and spits it out. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Poor Deirdre. Spends all that time getting the house ready for his return and then he swans in and chews it all up and spits it out. :D

16 months he's been gone - you'd think he could have mentioned just once in all that time that he's turned vegetarian, instead of leaving her floundering around with a yellow pepper and an onion >:(:(