New Software & EPG

1333435363739»

Comments

• kevlaw86kevlaw86 Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Hi had the rolled back software for several weeks which "cured" the "please wait" banner. Turned on last night and lo and behold the "please wait" banner is back. Reading this thread indicates that Sky may have "stealthily" partially reintroduced elements of software update. Any comments before I contact SKY or am I being completely paranoid. Will check over next couple of days and report back :cry:.
  • tinmantinman Posts: 3,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kevlaw86 wrote: »
    Hi had the rolled back software for several weeks which "cured" the "please wait" banner. Turned on last night and lo and behold the "please wait" banner is back. Reading this thread indicates that Sky may have "stealthily" partially reintroduced elements of software update. Any comments before I contact SKY or am I being completely paranoid. Will check over next couple of days and report back :cry:.

"Please wait"was back for me this morning.:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Same for me. Rollback had fixed the "please wait" problem but now it's back again even though the firmware version has not changed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    My box has also gone back to hanging at the Please Wait message after being okay for a couple of weeks..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same for me. Rollback had fixed the "please wait" problem but now it's back again even though the firmware version has not changed.
    Do you know if this happened to programs recorded before/during the 'update'
    pre-rollback?
    Is it affecting progs recorded recently or older ones?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tencon wrote: »
    Do you know if this happened to programs recorded before/during the 'update'
    pre-rollback?
    Is it affecting progs recorded recently or older ones?

You're at it again! We've been round this loop already.

This bug has *nothing* to do with recordings and recordings being labelled and all that stuff you were going on about last time.

The whole disk is inaccessible. Got it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SWIZZ? wrote: »
    Thanks, davemurgatroyd, for the clarification.

So CAMs are legal adapters to allow a Sky card to be read by a non-Sky box.
    I read somewhere that Sky were ordered by EU to allow Sky customer to use non-Sky boxes. Pity the EU has blunt teeth!

Perhaps, before I get my Foxsat, some other kind person will have found & validated the best CAM.

It would be nice if the same cam also took a Setanta card.

I am not at all sure that using a CAM to decrypt Sky transmissions in this way actually is legal or whether you are in fact breaking some copyright laws.

However, the issue here is not the legality. We should be descreet about this because all Sky have to do is to fiddle about with the encryptions slightly and then everyone who has a cam and who is doing this will find that suddenly it doesn't work.

Sky are not motivated to do this at the moment because they think the numbers involved are small. But if everyone keeps posting about it, they might be tempted. Hence, it's best to keep quiet about it.
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I read somewhere that Sky were ordered by EU to allow Sky customer to use non-Sky boxes. Pity the EU has blunt teeth!

Perhaps, before I get my Foxsat, some other kind person will have found & validated the best CAM.

As there are no official CAMs for NDS's Videoguard encryption (or at least available in the UK for Sky's system), they would all be illegal devices. They would have to reverse engineer the encryption system in order to make them function.

As for using one of them, you would be breaking the terms of your agreement with Sky, so if they found out they could terminate your subscription.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chippy99 wrote: »
    You're at it again! We've been round this loop already.

This bug has *nothing* to do with recordings and recordings being labelled and all that stuff you were going on about last time.

The whole disk is inaccessible. Got it?

I do now.:o
    Thank you.
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No CAMs are not legal for use in conjunction with Sky cards although it is NOT a criminal offence merely a Civil offence (you are breaking the terms and conditions of your contract by using the card in non-Sky equipment.

There is no such EU regulation to compel Sky to allow use in non Sky equipment, What you may be thinking of is the very poorly worded EU stipulation that an NDS CAM to decode Sky should be sold. Sky got round this by selling a single CAM. It just shows how incompetent the EU are in a lot of their regulations and directives.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, davemurgatroyd, for the further clarification.
    For first time I just read the Sky conditions ! Wow, thats entertainment !!!

Is it me, or are they a tad one-sided? Compensation for bungled soft updates not mentioned.

The Sly card must only be used by Me at My address as Registered, & that to be only in UK & Eire.
    I interpret that as, I need a dedicated room, or safe for card + box with locks to most secure standards ! Not clear if close family members allowed to share room with me if Sly on.
    Baby sitters or house sitters or anyone else should not be allowed to use it, if I am absent.

Changing out the hard-drive in Sly+ box might be construed as making it non Sly. Has anyone else on this forum committed this most heinous sin?

As for taking it away on holiday or caravanning in France or Spain, no way Hosea !
    Now thats strange, because as I've travelled south of the channel I've seen hundreds (so there must be hundreds of thousands) of dishes pointing at 28E. Also there is a whole industry there advertising Sly boxes & cards. Its not whispers, nods & winks but blatant, in your face stuff !
    I have not heard of a single prosecution of anyone committing Sly crimes or contract breaking. As I understand it encouraging & conspiring with lots of people to break their contracts might well be a criminal offence.

Sly UK have a constraint to operate only in UK & Ireland, so as long as, they can say, Joe Blogs assures them that he lives at 11 Downing St & has a good credit rating thats OK by Sly. (might be a wee problem if they now do a credit recheck!)

Can it be that Sly doesn't really care because its all good for business?

So if anyone uses a legally rented Sly card in a Freesat box
    who would know let alone care?
    No one would be defrauded or harmed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member

Checked again this morning and the "Please wait" problem has gone away again - still on the "old" epg and os version.
    Does anyone know what is going on?
  • MP01MP01 Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    I got the problem again this morning...box had been ok since the backout of the software.

Reboot of the box and now back...leaving it off for a couple of hours to see if the problem comes back.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky don't care about people watching their broadcasts outside of the UK, unofficially. Officially they have to be against it as there are significant rights issues.

As long as you don't tell Sky, you'll be fine. If you accidentally did, I am sure they could put their fingers in their ears and say 'blah blah blah.. I can't hear you'.

We've got a Canal Digital account from Sweden, but watch in the UK and it's the exact same thing as Sky (my brother in law lives in Sweden, and has the account registered there). They get the money, allowing us to get sport & movies (with Premier League football - even games at 3pm on a Saturday) for around £20 a month. Even if they knew, I doubt they'd do anything.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I had this problem back in November it was sorted after numerous calls to CS & a software update. Now it's back, same as before, any ideas
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I know that then new EPG has been sent to a lot of the HD boxes but is there any news on if it will go to standard SKY+ boxes? I suspect that it will only be on the HD boxes to try and encourage people to upgrade.
  • bixbartonbixbarton Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    It won't go to standard Sky+ boxes as the UI is most likely designed for 1080i.

From the images I've seen of the UI, it appears very crisp, suggesting its taking advantage of the higher resolution afforded by the HD boxes.

For commercial reasons Sky will want everyone to go HD, so the new EPG is another unique selling point for the HD service.
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bixbarton wrote: »
    It won't go to standard Sky+ boxes as the UI is most likely designed for 1080i.

From the images I've seen of the UI, it appears very crisp, suggesting its taking advantage of the higher resolution afforded by the HD boxes.

Actually no, sadly the new HD EPG is still only 576 lines :(
  • Neil MNeil M Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    ProDave wrote: »
    Actually no, sadly the new HD EPG is still only 576 lines :(

It looks good, wish they would roll it out to normal Sky+ boxes.

If they want to get more people onto HD, then it needs to be cheaper, I doubt a new menu would do it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,258
    Forum Member
    I know that then new EPG has been sent to a lot of the HD boxes but is there any news on if it will go to standard SKY+ boxes? I suspect that it will only be on the HD boxes to try and encourage people to upgrade.

what is the latest epg version for sky+ my thomson 160 says 5.02f...

I have autostandby off yet box has switch off, and now won't restart.. has sky updated this box again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pkc wrote: »
    what is the latest epg version for sky+ my thomson 160 says 5.02f...

I have autostandby off yet box has switch off, and now won't restart.. has sky updated this box again.
    I don't want to scare you but that sounds more like a hardware problem.
    How old is your box?
    If more than 3 years, the Power Supply may have failed?
    :cry:
    Forum Member
    I don't want to scare you but that sounds more like a hardware problem.
    How old is your box?
    If more than 3 years, the Power Supply may have failed?
    :cry:

narr its not that old.. did a full system scrub and it all works fine.. only issue now is Copy Protection, I tend to record on my DVD player via RF (in different room) and now can;t :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pkc wrote: »
    narr its not that old.. did a full system scrub and it all works fine.. only issue now is Copy Protection, I tend to record on my DVD player via RF (in different room) and now can;t :)

Sounds like the channel have switched on MacroVision or something?
    Do you use a Macrovision 'filter' cable?
    Try Maplin:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/searchtemplate.asp?criteria=MACROVISION%20SCART%20COPY%20PROTECTION%20REMOVER

All the best
    Forum Member
    Sounds like the channel have switched on MacroVision or something?
    Do you use a Macrovision 'filter' cable?
    Try Maplin:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/searchtemplate.asp?criteria=MACROVISION%20SCART%20COPY%20PROTECTION%20REMOVER

All the best

Yeah it was sky1 so no suprises there eh?