Options

interview - references

Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello,

Had a job interview today. Seemed to go ok-ish and think I did well. However the interviewers said that they would contact references and then offer the chosen candidate the position.

Now I'm in a funny situation as I haven't told my boss I was going for the interview as I thought it was a long shot and if I didn't get it then there would be no issue. However I'm worried that if [and that's a big if] I were offered the job, my boss would have been contacted before I had chance to tell him myself.

I'm so confused. I've also stupidly told them they are ok to contact me at work.

Do you think I should let my boss know in the morning that I have been interviewed for a new job? I honestly haven't been disloyal, I thoroughly enjoy my job but this one would be a massive step up and would open many doors for me. I would hope he would understand that, as he knows I have ambition.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think any decent boss would be upset at your being ambitious and would understand that you did not wish to tell him in case it was all unnecessary.

Your mistake was not to say to the new co/HR/rec con that they must contact you first.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    surely you have been disloyal by going for the interview without informing your boss , anyway , an employer cannot give you a bad reference , only a truthful one :)
  • Options
    rob1973rob1973 Posts: 4,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give them names and addresses but politely add that you'd appreciate it if they didn't contact hime until a particular date as you'd prefer it if he heard it first from you. That should stand you in an even better position as it shows loyalty.

Good luck OP..I'm waiting to hear about a job myself! :eek:
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Davemba wrote: »
    I don't think any decent boss would be upset at your being ambitious and would understand that you did not wish to tell him in case it was all unnecessary.

Your mistake was not to say to the new co/HR/rec con that they must contact you first.

Thanks for that :) But there was no mistake on my part it was an online NHS application and the only option was to give references and ask them not to contact them prior to interview, not after.
    paulyoung666 surely you have been disloyal by going for the interview without informing your boss , anyway , an employer cannot give you a bad reference , only a truthful one

I have not been disloyal at all. I love my job but want to progress. I'm a graduate and surviving on £800 a month with no savings. My boss knows all these things. Most people do not inform their boss they are looking at another job unless they have to! What is the point in causing the commotion?
    Give them names and addresses but politely add that you'd appreciate it if they didn't contact hime until a particular date as you'd prefer it if he heard it first from you. That should stand you in an even better position as it shows loyalty.

Good luck OP..I'm waiting to hear about a job myself

Thanks rob1973, but they already have the references due to my online application and as the only opt out thing was about approaching referees PRIOR to interview they are free to contact mine now. I wasn't aware this happened, as all other jobs I've had have been the opposite way round - job offer subject to references. And thanks for your good luck wishes, I wish you luck too!