Tiscali Broadband CD

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 193
Forum Member
I am with Tiscali at the moment and need to install it onto my new laptop. Unfortunately, I have lost the original CD they sent me.

If I borrowed a Tiscali CD from a friend would it work?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you even need to use the CD these days? I thought if you used non wireless you just plugged it in the ethernet cable and Windows found it or if you use wireless you use the Windows wireless icon to find your modem?

I ind the CDs usual come with bloatware.

PJ
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    Oh, right. I didn't know that. I suppose I thought that because I used the CD to install it a few years ago then that's what I needed to do now.

I'll give it a go.

Thanks, PJ
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About the only time I have ever had to install anything on a PC for broadband is when using a simple modem and some sort of propriety "dialler" is needed to kick off a connection.

If using a router then there should be no need to install anything provided the PC has the necessary Ethernet port and drivers installed or WiFi as appropriate. It is the router that keeps the connection alive so the PC doesn't have to do anything really to get on the interweb.

The CD may have been needed originally to do some sort of guided or semi automatic set up of the router. But assuming the same router is being used there is no need at all to go through this process again. Unless the router gets reset back to "out of the box" condition, ie all settings lost.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for replying, chrisj. I don't have a router - just a bog standard modem. I will try and find the missing CD!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    In which case you will need the CD. A borrowed one should work BUT you will need to know your Tiscali User Name & Password. (Which would not have been on the original CD.)
    Forum Member
    Thanks, Beerhunter. Fortunately I can remember the user name and password. Just need to find the CD. I'm sure I haven't thrown it out, just put it in a 'safe' place.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    Avalon Sky wrote: »
    Thanks, Beerhunter. Fortunately I can remember the user name and password. Just need to find the CD. I'm sure I haven't thrown it out, just put it in a 'safe' place.
    The only need for the CD when connecting via a Modem is the drivers for that modem. You may be able to download that from the ISP's web site - via your old PC.
  • carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had this problem a few years ago and just searched online for my make of modem and got the drivers that way. Failing that, call TalkTalk/tiscali and ask for a new cd.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your help and advice, everyone
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    Hi Avalon Sky,

if you don't manage to get sorted drop me a PM and I will see what we can do to help.

Cheers

Ady
    Forum Member
    Hi Avalon Sky,

if you don't manage to get sorted drop me a PM and I will see what we can do to help.

Cheers

Ady

Will do. Thanks, Ady