Selling House: to re-carpet or not.

13»

Comments

• Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Darcy_ wrote: »
    If it's the odd thing that needs doing in isolation, like a carpet needs replacing or a door need re-fitting, then I think people don't mind that, however from what you're describing, you're relying heavily on someone using their imagination to see past all of the work that needs doing and still want to buy it.
    Correct. If i was a buyer, that to me would be a strong negotiating point. I'd see it as a 'positive' rather than a 'negative'.

Darcy_ wrote: »
    A lot of people like the idea of being able to move straight into somewhere hassle free, so you've got to factor that in. You've also got to think about who you're marketing to. If it's first time buyers, a lot of them don't want any hassle or mess in their first purchase and therefore won't really want a 'project' or anything more than a place that requires a simple lick of paint.
    Unfortunately you are right.

Some folk expect a property to come fully furnished complete with wall fitted 60" plasma tv and the kettle ready boiled.

Sadly i feel the plethora of TV property programmes have built up peoples expectations to the point where not only are they unable to 'think outside the box', but they are just too damn lazy to even want to!

They want a ready finished Van Gogh for the price of a print from a Charity shop!
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    floog wrote: »
    I think it's hardwood flooring that people go for these days; laminate is seen as being cheap and will not help to sell a house.
    Not the case at all.
    What's your evidence?
    You can get laminate flooring that's more expensive than "real" wood flooring for a start.
  • Options
    PatchbunclePatchbuncle Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly the burns are quite deep. I think we'll leave it and adjust the price if need be.

There's no way we'd consider hiding it with a rug. Firstly because we live in a small town and could quite easily bump into the buyers around town, which could get awkward. Secondly if we did cover it with a rug it'd be a very oddly placed rug which would stand out a mile! Best to leave with a clean conscience.

Apparently the market is good at the mo so hopefully it won't be an issue. The only obstacle now is persuading the light of my life to bin a load of his accumulated treasures, those being 'useful' items such as old toothbrushes, Pringles tubes, broken shoe laces etc.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or shaving it with a razor can work on singed carpets.

We know all the tricks. :D
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly the burns are quite deep. I think we'll leave it and adjust the price if need be.

There's no way we'd consider hiding it with a rug. Firstly because we live in a small town and could quite easily bump into the buyers around town, which could get awkward. Secondly if we did cover it with a rug it'd be a very oddly placed rug which would stand out a mile! Best to leave with a clean conscience.

Apparently the market is good at the mo so hopefully it won't be an issue. The only obstacle now is persuading the light of my life to bin a load of his accumulated treasures, those being 'useful' items such as old toothbrushes, Pringles tubes, broken shoe laces etc.

I am very old. I have bought and sold houses for years and that a burn on a carpet from hair tongs made a difference is quite extraordinary. You are selling your property not the fixtures and fittings which are not part of the valuation. The carpets are purely cosmetic.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :)
    The only obstacle now is persuading the light of my life to bin a load of his accumulated treasures, those being 'useful' items such as old toothbrushes, Pringles tubes, broken shoe laces etc.
    Ah, the "man drawer".
    Old batteries, old keys, foreign coins ........