LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 28)

Comments

• The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 200,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I

I also like Larry Lamb,

But did you like.........Kake '0'Mara, in Triangle , with Larry ? :confused:

RIP Kate :(:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    Haven't listened to LBC for a few weeks despite it being countrywide on DAB but tuned in this morning.

So glad to see the back of creepy Andrew Castle but couldn't believe it to hear the professional diabetic Mr 84etc etc returned to Sunday mornings complete with the animal cruelty stories and general pig ignorant rubbish.

Get rid once and for all LBC. Please!!
  • BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    ^ ^ ^ this

With bells on.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes i did watch some of triangle for my sins when i was younger,complete with Larry Lamb.

Felixstowe- Gothenburg-Amsterdam and back to Felixstowe.;-)

RIP Kate O,mara:(
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cayce wrote: »
    No need to blush Richard :). I haven't undergone the Kay Burley 'experience' as yet to make my mind up. Others that have seen her on Sky might be better versed - on that note I remain uneducated :D. I can't say I like Larry Lamb much as a presenter, he comes across as inept, almost fumbling in presenting a radio show. As for Ken and David, I think they've already done the rounds. Time for a change, which might get some more positive input from this forum as LBC seem quite blithe to upping their game, preferring to stick the same ole predicable schedule of presenters without taking on new risks.

I am not sure LBC need to take great risks LBC Douglas Cameron and Bob Holness for years and they worked well.

I feel that Ken and David are still a very good listen very often bringing politics down to being very understandable and entertaining, reaching the parts the westminster elite of today cannot get near.

Larry Lamb for all his faults seems very human and often talks of his difficult childhood and family life in a way i can connect with,i often find Clive Bull shares very little with listeners in a way that Larry is so open about, his humanity shines through for me.

I think though that LBC do need some new input if you listened to LBC in the early 80s Brian Hayes was brilliant and very combative a feature missing on todays LBC,he often made Nick Ferrari of today,s LBC look like a pussycat.:)
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoy Cristo's show. I don't listen to much of it because I'm normally asleep.

Either I am warming to Iain Dale or his shows have got better in the last few weeks.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I'm not on twitter but I do scroll down the twitter feed on LBC website each day to see what's being said. Usually DB says on there why he's away or he says on his show but haven't heard any reason. Maybe NA will say at the beginning of the show why he is on all week. Unfortunately I'm not a lover of NA so will be more sleep for me. I'm getting a bit tired of LBC in general now. The only ones I listen to are Petrie, Clive and sometimes Ian Collins.
    Nick's just said that Duncan's on holiday for the week.
    Forum Member
    Oh god, Antony, the caller who's straight and knows 'a lot about gays'. BORE OFF, you ignoramus!

And Nick is very 'ummng, 'erring' and faltering tonight, I think I'll have to retune.
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh god, Antony, the caller who's straight and knows 'a lot about gays'. BORE OFF, you ignoramus!

And Nick is very 'ummng, 'erring' and faltering tonight, I think I'll have to retune.

I don't think Antony even paused for breath!:o
  • clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not sure LBC need to take great risks LBC Douglas Cameron and Bob Holness for years and they worked well.

I feel that Ken and David are still a very good listen very often bringing politics down to being very understandable and entertaining, reaching the parts the westminster elite of today cannot get near.

Larry Lamb for all his faults seems very human and often talks of his difficult childhood and family life in a way i can connect with,i often find Clive Bull shares very little with listeners in a way that Larry is so open about, his humanity shines through for me.

I think though that LBC do need some new input if you listened to LBC in the early 80s Brian Hayes was brilliant and very combative a feature missing on todays LBC,he often made Nick Ferrari of today,s LBC look like a pussycat.:)

I agree with you, especially your comments about Brian Hayes and Larry Lamb. Although regularly maligned by a few people on here, I think he is one of the best presenters currently on LBC for precisely the reason your mention: his humanity. He comes across as a very genuine person who is interested in people and their views.

When I listen to LBC these days, I can't but help think back to the days of Brian Hayes and although times move on and I don't like dwelling on the "good old days", not one of the present crop of presenters come any where close to Brian Hayes in putting out a interesting, informative and challenging phone-in show.
  • clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prescription charges should go up and the poor will have to adapt. Those that currently get free prescriptions should be exempt. So said the highly paid, free prescription claiming Steve Allen this morning. I almost choked on my porridge when I heard him say that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    Prescription charges should go up and the poor will have to adapt. Those that currently get free prescriptions should be exempt. So said the highly paid, free prescription claiming Steve Allen this morning. I almost choked on my porridge when I heard him say that.

Me too........ he is getting worse. >:(
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Potkettle wrote: »
    I have read as many posts , maybe more of constant ridiculing of Steve Allen. Going on so long about his "lobster" is not what I would call constructive!

The lobster comments were made as a direct result of Steve purchasing a lobster, then bringing it into the studio. It is valid 'chit-chat'.

I am not aware of James talking about buying champagne, then bringing it into the studio to drink whilst quoting Marx.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member

I was watching her on Saturday, just a day before it was announced.

She was on the horror channel, in The Horror Of Frankenstein, playing a raven haired, very busty housekeeper.
    Forum Member
    Me too........ he is getting worse. >:(
    Every show he's done for at least two weeks, I've turned him off after a short while (to go to the glorious BBC Radio 4 Extra), he is indeed getting very poor.

He was talking utter crud a year or so ago, he has amazingly managed to go even deeper than that.

I think I am going to stop tuning in to him altogether, in the pathetic hope that he may show glimpses of when he was good - it's all gone!
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think 'pussycat' is quite the right term in that context. Brian Hayes was the broadsheet equivalent of a radio presenter compared to Nick Ferrari's gutter press approach. The latter has an agenda who doesn't attempt to disguise his politics and seems to continually remind the listener what a wonderful person and organisation Rupert Murdoch and Sky are respectively.. Brian Hayes never pushed any agenda and was far more intelligent and informed than NF could ever hope to be. Anyone with a reasonable knowledge of a topic and and confidence could destroy NF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odNZuVtfGj8
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    I don't think 'pussycat' is quite the right term in that context. Brian Hayes was the broadsheet equivalent of a radio presenter compared to Nick Ferrari's gutter press approach. The latter has an agenda who doesn't attempt to disguise his politics and seems to continually remind the listener what a wonderful person and organisation Rupert Murdoch and Sky are respectively.. Brian Hayes never pushed any agenda and was far more intelligent and informed than NF could ever hope to be. Anyone with a reasonable knowledge of a topic and and confidence could destroy NF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odNZuVtfGj8

BIB - Why would he do that? He hasn't worked for News International for over a decade. His current newspaper column is in Richard Desmond's Sunday Express (hence, possibly, his recent appearances on Channel Five) He very occasionally reviews the papers on Sky news but not nearly as often as other presenters. He might feel some loyalty to NI, as he worked successfully for them for many years, but there seems to be a puzzling conviction among his detractors which suggests that he has an agenda to promote NI's interests. It appears to be connected to his right-wing views but Murdoch Press swims with whichever political current will be good for them/ Don't forget how they were courted by, and promoted, Blair. in the Nineties.

Morning all. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Greetings - I was delighted to find this place some years ago, to discover that others cared about talk radio as much as I did and to no longer suspect that i was some kind of oddball for considering it so very seriously.
    I'll declare my hand : I'm a vast admirer of Nick Abbot (who I would follow over a cliff) and of James O'Brien (faults and all).
    So pleased LBC returned to my digital radio - that year or so i spent cut off from the station was dismal (yes I can get it on my TV, but it's not convenient).
  • redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no James O'Brien is an "expert" on climate change now! Lazy journalism to the max...
  • PotkettlePotkettle Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Potkettle wrote: »
    No, I quite enjoy them, as I understand how JOB can have this affect on him. I no longer listen to JOB's arrogance and bullying of his callers. So, Mike carry on letting your frustration out on here. It will keep your blood pressure down although it may put others up!:D
    I have not mentioned anything about champagne, what that has to do with MY reply I don't know! Whether or not JOB discusses his champagne preferences is beside the point. He is someone who I think needs to address the way he treats his callers, who pay his salary. If they don't call in then he would be out of a JOB, no pun intended.
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    The lobster comments were made as a direct result of Steve purchasing a lobster, then bringing it into the studio. It is valid 'chit-chat'.

I am not aware of James talking about buying champagne, then bringing it into the studio to drink whilst quoting Marx.

I was replying to a poster's comment about not making constructive posts. I am aware why it was being discussed and I commented on how much time was spent on that particular issue of the "lobster" and was IMO also not constructive, considering the amount of posts on it! :)
    Forum Member
    guyree wrote: »
    Greetings - I was delighted to find this place some years ago, to discover that others cared about talk radio as much as I did and to no longer suspect that i was some kind of oddball for considering it so very seriously.
    I'll declare my hand : I'm a vast admirer of Nick Abbot (who I would follow over a cliff) and of James O'Brien (faults and all).
    So pleased LBC returned to my digital radio - that year or so i spent cut off from the station was dismal (yes I can get it on my TV, but it's not convenient).

Welcome, guyree. :)

This thread needs new people like you, to replace the jaded ones like me. I know I'm becoming bitter and a whinger about LBC, because something I loved and supported so much has become almost unrecognisable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redvers36 wrote: »
    Oh no James O'Brien is an "expert" on climate change now! Lazy journalism to the max...

Come on, he's not claiming anything of the sort. From his intro, I have hopes that it's a topic on which he has an open mind, thus facilitating a balanced discussion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    guyree wrote: »

Hi guy(ree) Welcome. J O'B gets a hard time on here, frequently from me. I'd like to think I'm fair with my remarks because, as I've said before, he can be so good. I don't doubt his sincerity but he needs to step back and allow others to put their point of view, without dismissing them out of hand.
    Forum Member
    thanks Radiomaniac , due to busy-ness I've not been a regular reader here - looking into the goldfish bowl every few months - but will be a bit more frequent now that I can comment.
    It's the haters I don't understand, who both intrigue and scare (imagine if such irrational people held positions of influence over your life - god forbid) ; the people who spit out their single-line comments of bile. The very brevity of such self-expression flagging up it's probable inanity.
    Forum Member
    yep, JOB fascinates me - I warm to him because he chooses the right targets for attack time and again. I think he may not be on much longer as the furrows he ploughs have become very deep indeed now. A person cannot do the same thing all the time without going slight mad. James shows those signs. Bless him.
This discussion has been closed.