LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 28)

Comments

• connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    I doubt Stapleton wants an 8 week shift on LBC. He's got his fingers in better pies than LBC and a mid morning show would put a stop to that.

Be careful what you wish for. I'm sure Katie Hopkins would relish 8 weeks of a mid morning phone in.

what like?GMB it may be better to do a full time show on LBC the way that program is going.
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I first started secondary school we used to call the female teachers ma'm ! When we moved (the neighbours got fed up with us!), I went to a different school, in a different Borough (of London) and they called the female teachers Miss. I believe it took me awhile to changeover and I think kids laughed at me (they still do!) when I started calling the teachers ma'm.

I presume (can't remember) that we called the male teachers sir in both schools.

When I first started work, I was told by a colleague never to call anyone sir unless they really are. I still doffed my forelock though !
  • LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    When I first started secondary school we used to call the female teachers ma'm ! When we moved (the neighbours got fed up with us!), I went to a different school, in a different Borough (of London) and they called the female teachers Miss. I believe it took me awhile to changeover and I think kids laughed at me (they still do!) when I started calling the teachers ma'm.

I presume (can't remember) that we called the male teachers sir in both schools.

When I first started work, I was told by a colleague never to call anyone sir unless they really are. I still doffed my forelock though !

M'am? :D

It has just reminded me that my senior school teachers were "masters".

Were we really in the 1900s - or a timewarp? :)
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M'am? :D

It has just reminded me that my senior school teachers were "masters".

You weren't at Hogwart's, were you? With a chap named Potter?
    Forum Member
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    You weren't at Hogwart's, were you? With a chap named Potter?

Spot on - but only on a local authority grant.

We weren't wealthy Muggles.
  • clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm of the view that everyone, not just school children, should address people as Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms Surname until you know them well or they invite you to call them by their first name. If you don't know their surname then sir, madam/ma'am or miss is the correct form of address. Children learn from adults and because society as a whole has become less formal and adults refer to people that they barely know by their first names, then children will take their lead from us.
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    I'm of the view that everyone, not just school children, should address people as Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms Surname until you know them well or they invite you to call them by their first name. If you don't know their surname then sir, madam/ma'am or miss is the correct form of address. Children learn from adults and because society as a whole has become less formal and adults refer to people that they barely know by their first names, then children will take their lead from us.

Some wise words there Clitheroe. I work at a high school where it is 'Sir' and 'Miss' and even I, as an ICT technician get called Sir.

When I was at secondary school in the mid-late seventies it was Sir and Madam then.
  • clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Allen was talking about Clitheroe this morning, saying that is sounds like a nice place even though he's never been there. A rare occasion when I agree with him.
    Forum Member
    Nosedive wrote: »
    Some wise words there Clitheroe. I work at a high school where it is 'Sir' and 'Miss' and even I, as an ICT technician get called Sir.

When I was at secondary school in the mid-late seventies it was Sir and Madam then.

Nick Abbot has an angle on this, doesn't he?

He digs out newspaper articles about surveys and reports conducted by unknown people who think they are important and he deliberately omits their surnames, calling them Dr Kevin, Professor Dave or Sir Simon etc.

I like the irreverence when it is applied to pomp.
  • Inge JonesInge Jones Posts: 11,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually the analogue to Miss should be Mister, not Sir surely? The only point the professor was making was that Miss is a lower form of address than Sir. I guess she would have been happy with Sir/Maam or Mister/Miss. as they are at least gender equivalent
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At both my junior and grammar schools it was Sir and Miss. However, at grammar school, the male pupils were addressed by their surname (no title) and the girls by their forename.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    Steve Allen was talking about Clitheroe this morning, saying that is sounds like a nice place even though he's never been there. A rare occasion when I agree with him.

If you are talking about Clitheroe in the Ribble Valley then yes it is a lovely place, not far from where I live.

The whole of that area is beautiful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are talking about Clitheroe in the Ribble Valley then yes it is a lovely place, not far from where I live.

The whole of that area is beautiful.

Steve probably associates it with one of his favourite entertainers, Jimmy Clitheroe.
  • CayceCayce Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    Brian has just tweeted - 'What would happen if we really did stop talking about immigration all the time & just tried to be nice to each other? @LBC now'

You really could not make this up. Man who discusses immigration and UKIP issues all the time wonders what it would be like not to do so. Meltdown imminent.

I heard bits of J O'B's 'theories' when driving, about not talking about immigration. I found it quite a bizarre suggestion as the media/LBC are always raking it up - political parties barking on in particular - how can James that similarly joined this queue make any impression suddenly, to the contrary?
    All very whimsical to my mind. The man seems lost and clutching at straws.
  • North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could SA possibly have a partner he keeps from us? We all know how NA always speaks in the singular but has a partner. Nick does seem slightly paranoid about his privacy though, which SA certainly doesn't.
    Does he? Damned lucky partner! Anyone know who s/he is?

All I know is that when he used to changeover with James Whale he told him that he didn't live alone. Also when he used to talk about his holidays, which he doesn't seem to now, he sometimes used to slip in an occasional 'we'. But that's a few years ago now. I was just, perhaps wrongfully, assuming there was still an OH.
  • PotkettlePotkettle Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brian has just tweeted - 'What would happen if we really did stop talking about immigration all the time & just tried to be nice to each other? @LBC now'

You really could not make this up. Man who discusses immigration and UKIP issues all the time wonders what it would be like not to do so. Meltdown imminent.

Go on then JOB, you go first at trying to be nice. I dare you.:D
  • CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    Brian is writing a book on immigration? From Kidderminster to a public school and on to leafy Chiswick - does he have the life experience and enough reality outside of the media bubble to undertake such a tome? What does he really have to say on anything apart from breastfeeding and liberal elitism?

JO'B gets a little sheepish when callers point out he lives in Chiswick and has little experience of the downsides of immigration. He likes to state that he has lived in less salubrious areas when he was younger/single. To my mind this makes him a complete hypocrite as having experienced life in more diverse areas he rejected it as a desirable environment to raise his own family, electing instead to pay over the odds to live in homogeneous Chiswick.
  • Mike RackabitMike Rackabit Posts: 4,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Capablanca wrote: »
    JO'B gets a little sheepish when callers point out he lives in Chiswick and has little experience of the downsides of immigration. He likes to state that he has lived in less salubrious areas when he was younger/single. To my mind this makes him a complete hypocrite as having experienced life in more diverse areas he rejected it as a desirable environment to raise his own family, electing instead to pay over the odds to live in homogeneous Chiswick.

That will be the sound of the nail being hit firmly on the head. Hypocrisy of the highest order. He has made disparaging remarks about where I live, funnily enough it is a hugely multi-cultural and vibrant community.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Capablanca wrote: »

You're assuming that because an area is less salubrious, it must be multi-racial. You're also assuming that because Chiswick, where he now lives, is seen as prosperous, it must have less racial diversity. Ealing, where I live, is similar to Chiswick in its demography. .My flat is one of five conversions in a large house, in which, of the eight occupants, I'm the only white Brit. I think all my neighbours would be insulted by the assumption that the area is unsalubrious.

How is it hypocritical for him to aspire to a better life and environment for his children? Or, indeed, for himself? Isn't that what we all want?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    Who's doing a book.? ....... will it be hard to colour in? ;)

I remember when Pesky got unceremoniously bumped off her midweek show to make room for Iain Dale. She claimed she was reducing her hours in order to make time to write a book. Goodness! I thought. Maybe we're to be presented with tales of her risking life and limb with our boys and girls in Afghanistan.

Turned out to be a kids recipe book and a very slim one at that. And even then she only co-wrote it. I could have probably knocked it out in a weekend. They don't half tell us some porkies don't they?:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    I remember when Pesky got unceremoniously bumped off her midweek show to make room for Iain Dale.

She used to do the 1pm - 4pm show and was eventually replaced by J H-B. I seem to remember they used cover presenters initially as it was here decision to go, and therefore they didn't have a replacement lined up.
  • BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    She used to do the 1pm - 4pm show and was eventually replaced by J H-B. I seem to remember they used cover presenters initially as it was here decision to go, and therefore they didn't have a replacement lined up.

She did the evening show and ID replaced her.

JHB replaced Jenni Barnett didn't she? Or did Pesky move into the afternoon for a bit?

Her decision to go?... I doubt it! She's constantly bitching about how hard up she is!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    She did the evening show and ID replaced her.

JHB replaced Jenni Barnett didn't she? Or did Pesky move into the afternoon for a bit?

Her decision to go?... I doubt it! She's constantly bitching about how hard up she is!

How time confuses the mind ! I remember PH doing Drivetime with the guy that plaid poker - James Hartigan ? I can't remember if she did the evening show.

I think PH came in after JB.

If she was removed from the programme, she would surely be in the same position as James Whale, James Max and Susan Bookbinder.

The grey cells are not what they used to be!!
This discussion has been closed.