Arithmetic

burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
Forum Member
✭✭
I have a book called Tutorial Arithmetic dated 1906. Here is a problem from the ratio and proportion section:

1) An Indian officer, whose annual pay was estimated in rupees, lost £41 12s. 6d. in one year by a fall in the value of a rupee from 1s. 1½d. to 1s 10¼d. What was his salary, estimated in rupees?

Here's another:

2) What is the value of 1 lb Troy of silver cut from a bar weighting 400 oz and worth £50 16s. 8d?

These are the sort of arithmetic problems students had to work out in 1906!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    These are the sort of arithmetic problems students had to work out on 1906!
    Unless they'd also studied English, in which case it would have been 'in 1906'

Sorry :blush::p
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless they'd also studied English, in which case it would have been 'in 1906'

Sorry :blush::p

Ha ha your post doesn't make sense now!:)
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like to think I could do those now and as a kid if I had any sort of clue as to how pre-decimal money worked.

I know there's 16 oz in a lb so could that far in the second one but that far only. I'd have to take £50 16s. 8d, divide it by 400 then multiply that by 16. Not too difficult if I only knew the correct money units. Even so, I'll give a rough answer of just over £2 if I haven't made a mistake or misread the question.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These aren't so difficult to work out so long as one is familiar with pre-decimal currency and imperial weights and measures. The same questions could be framed in the modern equivalents and could be tackled by an able 6th grader.

I'm not sure though how a rupee can be classed as having fallen in value when it was worth 1s. 1½d to 1s 10¼d
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    1) An Indian officer, whose annual pay was estimated in rupees, lost £41 12s. 6d. in one year by a fall in the value of a rupee from 1s. 1½d. to 1s 10¼d. What was his salary, estimated in rupees?

isn't that a rise in the value of the rupee not a fall ?
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there a typo in your first question? A change in the value of a rupee from one and three ha'pence to one and tenpence farthing is an increase not a fall. :D

PS: I see swingaleg beat me to it.

PPS: The second question would catch most people out, since there are 12 Troy ounces in a Troy pound, not 16. (I had to look that up!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha ha your post doesn't make sense now!
    I love it when people do that
    *claps enthusiastically*
    :):):)
    :):)
    :)

almost a pity I actually quoted you :D:D:D
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    PPS: The second question would catch most people out, since there are 12 Troy ounces in a Troy pound, not 16. (I had to look that up!)

Oops, then my attempt at answering that question further up the thread would have been wrong. :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a book called Tutorial Arithmetic dated 1906. Here is a problem from the ratio and proportion section:

Here's another:

2) What is the value of 1 lb Troy of silver cut from a bar weighting 400 oz and worth £50 16s. 8d?

These are the sort of arithmetic problems students had to work out in 1906!

The value of the rupee should have been 1s. 11½d.
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a book called Tutorial Arithmetic dated 1906.

Is that the actual book you used in school. Bought brand new? :p

Using arithmetic, I will now go and calculate my lifespan after that comment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reminds me of those thin red exercise books you got from Woolies that had all the useful weights and distance tables on the back cover and the inside covers.
    The pattern on the books was weird in the light, it had paler red ripples.
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    Reminds me of those thin red exercise books you got from Woolies that had all the useful weights and distance tables on the back cover and the inside covers.

silvine?
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Troy Silver? Isn't he that heart throb American soapstar?".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    Exactly them ones.
    Ace find :cool::cool::cool:
    I just know there's one in the attic somewhere with some dreadful poetry in it :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To help you calculate, there were 12 pence in a shilling and 20 shillings in a pound.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When our money was in pounds shillings and pence, we would never say something was £1 5s. 0d, we would say it's 25 shillings (or 25 bob). Similarly, £1 19s. 11d. was 39/11 (thirty-nine shillings and eleven pence, pronounced thirty-nine and eleven)). You could get a pair of ladies shoes for 39/11. 3d was thruppence, 2d was tuppence. Shillings were written thus: 5/- (five shillings), or 7/6 (seven shillings and sixpence, pronounced seven and six).
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They would be very familiar with their currency, the questions aren't that difficult
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I still use £SD in some of my work and work out percentages and ratios.......it relates to property liabilities left over from the tithes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The value of the rupee should have been 1s. 11½d.

assuming that's the case I make his salary 7992 rupees......:blush:
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member

I loved those books. The info came in handy at a quiz the other night.

Q. What has five pieces of wood at the end of a chain?

A. Cricket pitch

I suddenly remembered that there were 22 yards in a chain.
  • AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The math is pretty simple stuff. The only reason a modern reader would stumble is not because their arithmetic skills are lacking but because in 1906 they frequently used units of measurement and currency that we are less familiar with in 2014. The modern student would need the ratio between each unit used, which would already be known by students then. This tiny bit of knowledge is not that impressive or meaningful.
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To help you calculate, there were 12 pence in a shilling and 20 shillings in a pound.

Two farthings to a ha'penny,
    Two ha'pennies to a penny.
    Three pennies to a thep'ney bit,
    Two thre'pney bits to a tanner.
    Two tanners to a bob.
    Two bob to a florin.
    A florin and a tanner to a half crown.
    Four half crowns to a ten-bob-note (the full crown wasn't generally seen in circulation).
    Two ten-bob-notes to a pound
    A pound and a bob to a guinea.

Decimalisation was a long time coming, mostly because people were worried that it might make things too complicated.

(With apologies to Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett)