Options

What IS the matter with Tom Daley?

Comments

• Options
    methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    QWERTYOP wrote: »
    So... You've heard him in interviews and don't think he sounds camper than Dale Winton?

Fair enough.

Tom isn't camp but if someone is it doesn't necessarily mean they are gay a guy in my year is quite camp and he has a girlfriend and he insists he is not gay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In what way is he camp? Cos he looks after his body and has a tan? That's quite a few lads I know... One of my friends is a pro rugby player and he is always on a sunbed

I am around Toms age and I am a completely non camp non effeminate gay man and I go for a spray tan every so often.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    methodyguy wrote: »
    Tom isn't camp but if someone is it doesn't necessarily mean they are gay a guy in my year is quite camp and he has a girlfriend and he insists he is not gay.

TBF that means nothing gay man and women have got married before.

I'm not saying he is or isn't but having a GF is no real proof
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diamond1 wrote: »
    yeah. I don't think doing one reality show for a couple of months will affect his Olympic training ... a number of Olympians are doing reality shows

he does seem to be a bit of a media **** but it remains to be seen as to whether it escalates in a way that encroaches on his training

his tween fans on twitter seem a bit rabid though :eek:

The main criticism I'd make of him is that while he is ostensibly a sportsman, he sees himself as a "celebrity" and totally has his eyes on a big TV career.

In his defence, it was the UK media who created the Tom Daley phenomenom (but it has predictably become much bigger than his talent.....he's already far more famous than many of this year's Team GB gold medalists).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TBF that means nothing gay man and women have got married before.

I'm not saying he is or isn't but having a GF is no real proof

Well they both seem to be very close and I know that gay men and gay women have got married before. I just think that some men can be a bit camp without being gay.
  • Options
    Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So... You've heard him in interviews and don't think he sounds camper than Dale Winton?

Fair enough.

No I don't ...
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    methodyguy wrote: »
    Well they both seem to be very close and I know that gay men and gay women have got married before. I just think that some men can be a bit camp without being gay.

I agree I'm camp myself though I am Asexual rather than straight but most people I have known seem to assume I'm gay not that it bothers me either way
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree I'm camp myself though I am Asexual rather than straight but most pope I have known seem to assume I'm gay not that it bothers me either way

That seems to be one of the problems with society people are far too quick to label others if they are a bit different.
  • Options
    QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    Gay or not (who cares?) I don't see how ANYONE can say he isn't camp.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gay or not (who cares?) I don't see how ANYONE can say he isn't camp.

HE ISN'T CAMP ...there I've said it ...
  • Options
    DomestiquesDomestiques Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HE ISN'T CAMP ...there I've said it ...

He is camper than a tinsel adorned rainbow coloured unicorn. When he comes out, and he will come out, it will be like when H from Steps came out in that only lonely spinsters with 8 cats will be shocked.
  • Options
    *Clem**Clem* Posts: 4,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom is very camp IMO. But he seems a nice enough guy, just a bit of a famewhore at the moment.
  • Options
    Keren-HappuchKeren-Happuch Posts: 2,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Tom, he comes across as being nice and quite sweet. I think he's just a bit young and silly and had his head turned by the media attention, and I think a lot of 18 year olds would be the same. I think he's a good role model, he's achieved a lot for his age, and it's not like he's famous for doing nothing.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's still very young and growing up amongst the generation where 'fame' and 'celebrity' are everything and seen as the ultimate aspiration.

Look at all the reality shows and wannabes - and it pays off, because they're earning millions.

Unlike many of them, Tom does actually have a talent, but he is at risk of letting his head be turned by the silly stuff.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    He's still very young and growing up amongst the generation where 'fame' and 'celebrity' are everything and seen as the ultimate aspiration.

Look at all the reality shows and wannabes - and it pays off, because they're earning millions.

Unlike many of them, Tom does actually have a talent, but he is at risk of letting his head be turned by the silly stuff.

Are they?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are they?

They must be making something ..or they wouldn't do it otherwise
  • Options
    TewingirlTewingirl Posts: 2,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Role model? All he's done is a mediocre attempt at winning anything more than bronze in order to cash in as a Z-lister to attending anything that'll have him, even fridge openings :rolleyes:

He's going to take a huge fall in popularity before too long

I agree - he seriously gives me the creeps. I cannot understand his appeal at all.
  • Options
    Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »

Am sure his management realise this and we will see a bit less of him topless in future.

I suspect they're the ones encouraging it.
  • Options
    Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    The main criticism I'd make of him is that while he is ostensibly a sportsman, he sees himself as a "celebrity" and totally has his eyes on a big TV career.

In his defence, it was the UK media who created the Tom Daley phenomenom (but it has predictably become much bigger than his talent.....he's already far more famous than many of this year's Team GB gold medalists).

Really well put. I agree with every word.
  • Options
    KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Role model? All he's done is a mediocre attempt at winning anything more than bronze in order to cash in as a Z-lister to attending anything that'll have him, even fridge openings :rolleyes:

He's going to take a huge fall in popularity before too long

That's really REALLY out of line. Love him or hate him (and there's really not reason to hate him), he's absolutely harmless.

But he is a role model. If more kids were like Tom Daley the future would be a hell of a lot brighter.

But taking pot shots at him for failing to win the gold, that's a low blow!
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Photoshopped pic, anyone? :D

That is just yuck!!
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Karis wrote: »
    That's really REALLY out of line. Love him or hate him (and there's really not reason to hate him), he's absolutely harmless.

But he is a role model. If more kids were like Tom Daley the future would be a hell of a lot brighter.

But taking pot shots at him for failing to win the gold, that's a low blow!

So how come you never hear or see him doing anything about training then? All you ever see is Mr Tango selling himself at some tacky event or TV show....

There are other Olympians who talk about what they want to achieve for their sport and what they are doing to get there - they are the ones that get my respect, not this wannabe :rolleyes:
  • Options
    mirandawebmirandaweb Posts: 3,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine that diving doesn't pay particularly well. At least, not anywhere near the league of football, golf, or tennis. For other sports, most of their income comes from sponsorship.

I see nothing wrong with him making the most of his earning potential while the media interest is on him. It might even allow him to prolong his diving career - enabling him to carry on when the big sponsors have moved on to other people.

Another thought, if he's got a TV show in the offing, then it's quite likely that he's being encouraged to keep his public profile high by stripping off for interviews and posting Twitter pics, etc. It may even be in his contract.

I really can't see anything to hate. However, I've been on here for years and have seen bile directed at some of the nicest, most inoffensive people going, so it doesn't surprise me!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So how come you never hear or see him doing anything about training then? All you ever see is Mr Tango selling himself at some tacky event or TV show....

There are other Olympians who talk about what they want to achieve for their sport and what they are doing to get there - they are the ones that get my respect, not this wannabe :rolleyes:

So you want pictures of him training? He will be in swimming trunks..showing his body again... You will then complain he is showing his body again...
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Photoshopped pic, anyone? :D

That is just yuck!!

Oh, come on, it's hilarious.