Kate Hopkins dropped from ITV after Petition.

darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
Forum Member
✭✭
ITV has said it has ‘no plans’ for former Apprentice contestant Katie Hopkins to appear on This Morning following a petition calling on the outspoken commentator to be banned from any future TV appearances.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/12/04/katie-hopkins-dropped-from-this-morning-by-itv-as-tv-ban-petition-signed-by-thousands-4213424/

Good riddance to the vile bint. :D

Comments

• Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't say I will miss her...she is an obnoxious woman
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she had been on The Matthew Wright show a few times, recently as well with Richard Madeley hosting it.

I feel she is outspoken just for the sake of it.
    It wears thin in the end and looks like she has shot herself in the foot.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,998
    Forum Member
    Channel 4, The BBC and Channel 5 next then, please...I don't like seeing on my TV screen when I tune into The Wright Stuff.
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope it's true, I signed the petition. I like to think Lorraine Kelly was sat at her desk hissing 'fire her' into her intercom.
  • notfussynotfussy Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm. That's easily got out of, though.
    Considering she's still going to be used on The Wright Stuff and is hotly tipped for the next CBB, along with still having a column in The Sun I don't think she'll disappear yet.

Sadly.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Yay!

Let's curtail more free speech. I find people who sign petitions in general to be quite objectionable and incapable of independent thought, so the results of this is rather disheartening.

My message to people offended by Katie Hopkins yet still follow her on Twitter is much the same as those who go to a Frankie Boyle gig and then complain about the content- you make an active choice to follow. It's up to you to adjust your sensibilities, not the celebrity.
  • notfussynotfussy Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's such a thing as free speech, and then there's hate speech.
    She has said shockingly ignorant things about disabled people which I believe amount to hate speech - sadly that's not taken seriously as other forms of hate speech based on race, gender or sexual orientation. She's touched on the others, though.
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yay!

Let's curtail more free speech. I find people who sign petitions in general to be quite objectionable and incapable of independent thought, so the results of this is rather disheartening.

My message to people offended by Katie Hopkins yet still follow her on Twitter is much the same as those who go to a Frankie Boyle gig and then complain about the content- you make an active choice to follow. It's up to you to adjust your sensibilities, not the celebrity.

Whilst I agree we should be allowed free speech... I don't agree with people spouting the bile Katie Hopkins and Frankie Boyle does ...her for the sake of it and him..cos he thinks it's funny to abuse people who can't always answer back..
    I follow neither of them on twitter and don't go out of my way to read or watch anything either is in/on.. Because quite frankly I find them vile.
    I do agree with you about people who claim to detest them yet follow them on FB and Twitter etc.
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    it only makes sense from a commercial sense if itv feels they will get less viewers and money because of what she said
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    GOOD!I hope she is chucked out of everywhere.
  • LucyconLucycon Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    The Tweet she wrote after the Glasgow helicopter crash had absolutely nothing to do with it. This was what she was referring to.

https://isdscotland.scot.nhs.uk/Health-Topics/Public-Health/Publications/2011-12-20/2011-12-20-HLE-Summary.pdf?85735720397

She posted the comment after the crash happened, so unless she'd suddenly gone blind she couldn't have missed a front page news story. She should have been a hell of a lot more circumspect. No apology until Monday, when she wondered why people were up in arms and getting up online petitions, she suddenly rang her agent and others and had to admit it was 'ill-timed'.

I didn't sign the petition as that kind of outrage is exactly what she wants. I wouldn't give her the satisfaction of getting upset over her stupidity, and neither should anyone else.
  • AchtungAchtung Posts: 10,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she makes people feel uncomfortable because she tells a few home truths.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yay!

Bit of a difference between randomly switching a TV on and actively going to a Frankie Boyle gig.
    I'm all for free speech, because if I do switch on my TV and she appears, I switch over.
    Forum Member
    Achtung wrote: »
    I think she makes people feel uncomfortable because she tells a few home truths.

To say a child's name is an indicator of their class is snobbism at its worst. At the same time she said she hated geographical names for children when her own daughter is called India. :s

To have a go at ginger children and say they're 'difficult to love' is ridiculous.

These aren't 'home truths', they're just shit-stirring for the sake of it.
  • Alien_SaxonAlien_Saxon Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..Well done ITV, she brought ratings to your god-awful bland safe TV show and you go and can her, well played.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's not even rational though. She obviously just comes out with ridiculous claims to try and get negative reactions from people. She doesn't even look serious when she's saying these ridiculous claims.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    She's not even rational though. She obviously just comes out with ridiculous claims to try and get negative reactions from people. She doesn't even look serious when she's saying these ridiculous claims.

Agreed! I may as well just copy and paste what I said when she came up in another thread:

Hopkins is very careful not to overstep the mark into libel or incitement of violence/hatred. She shies away from, say, discussions of race or anything overly controversial, because her MO is to be seen as "the biggest bitch in Britain" (a media construct) rather than someone who is blacklisted from TV. As long as she errs on the side of the law, she can be as nasty as she likes (like a panto witch) and she'll keep generating headlines and keeping up a media profile. I reckon she's apologised for her bad timing over this comment because she fears she might (to paraphrase Smithers from The Simpsons) have "crossed the line between everyday villainy and cartoon supervillainy". Obviously her comments were not intended to chime with the horrific events in Glasgow. She intended only to be offensive and get talked about. Hence, she has apologised for the timing rather than the comments.

Think of her as a controversial DS troll who has been plying her usual trade but mistimed her bait by coinciding it with a national tragedy. Sticking with that analogy, she must now be worried the mods are going to ban her so she's hastily trying to explain about the lack of timing rather than the lack of intent. The last thing Hopkins wants is to be ignored by TV producers when her whole career is founded on saying outrageous (but legal) things in pursuit of a "TV's Miss Nasty" tag. Of course, quite why one would want this tag is a mystery. The money is presumably good, but can any amount really justify actively turning one's self into a national hate figure? As I've said on other threads, I doubt she believes half of what she says any more than Anne Robinson meant the caustic remarks she'd come out with on The Weakest Link. It's just part of the image.

That said, I wouldn't be sorry to see her disappear from screens. Who wants to see some insincere twunt spout rubbish for attention? If she meant half of what she said, it might be worth debating her verbal bullets and questioning why she believes them - but she just does it for the money, fame and media attention. Boring.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,383
    Forum Member
    ..Well done ITV, she brought ratings to your god-awful bland safe TV show and you go and can her, well played.

Not giving a platform to a moron doesn't equate to being bland and safe.
  • Lucylocket88Lucylocket88 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    I do not know why ITV hired her in the first place. It is not as if she is a high profile name. She was an Apprentice contestant, for goodness sake. ITV has done the right thing. Katie has no place on a TV show like This Morning, in my opinion.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yay!

Stop being melodramatic. Her free speech hasn't been curtailed. All that's happened is that TV producers have actually considered the feelings of their audience for a change. She can still be hateful (within the confines of the law) on her twitter, and any other programme desperate enough to employ her. It's not as if she's ever said anything interesting anyway.

Signing a petition is a legitimate way to peacefully express an opinion within a democracy and if you find that disheartening, then you might be more comfortable in North Korea. They let the privileged few get to say exactly what they want, and anyone who objects is swiftly dealt with.

This Morning haven't promised to never use her again, so they might just be waiting for the dust to settle, but for the time being, this is a victory for the "little people" over the loud-mouthed bully.
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Achtung wrote: »

I don't think that's it at all. I've seen many people, myself included, who have agreed with SOME of what she says but find the way she talks to/about people so horrid that agreeing with Katie makes you feel dirty. Whether she's a professional troll or not, it's got to the point where people like her DO need banning from TV. It's nothing to do with shutting down the right to free speech and everything to do with a real danger of her attitude being seen as acceptable, because it just isn't.

I think it's appalling people like her are championed by the media just because they generate a few column inches. The thought of people like Katie getting rewarded for their behavior by being offered appearances on things like Celeb BB and I'm A Celeb disgusts me. It sends out the worst possible message.
  • ci5bodieci5bodie Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Lucycon wrote: »
    To say a child's name is an indicator of their class is snobbism at its worst. At the same time she said she hated geographical names for children when her own daughter is called India. :s

To have a go at ginger children and say they're 'difficult to love' is ridiculous.

These aren't 'home truths', they're just shit-stirring for the sake of it.
    Is snobbism a new word aswell as being an offence too?

Of course saying ginger kids are hard to love is nonsense .
    But it gets her the attention she's after and all the whingers and complainers fall into her trap.

I doubt This Morning will keep her off for long.
    Anyone that can generate free publicity at that level is destined to return
    Forum Member
    ci5bodie wrote: »
    Is snobbism a new word aswell as being an offence too?

Just for you. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/snobbism
    Is aswell a new word?

Snobbism (pardon me if I use the word again) isn't an offence, but it's offensive.
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The womans a genius, complete wind up merchant, and she's getting most of the country falling for it.

I personally wouldn't like to be the most hated person in the country, but she doesn't seem to mind, and it's how she makes her money, so good on her!

No one in their right mind would say they hate children named after countries when their own child is named India ... there's the proof she's purely a professional troll!
  • pollipolli Posts: 2,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like her ,but she does occasionally make good points ,if somewhat badly. Gurning to camera when others are speaking is playground behaviour . She isn't very good at making her points in an adult way at times. Yes,she knows lots of big words and has a posh voice but she gets tangled in her delivery at times making me feel sorry for her when I really don't want to.
    In a nut shell ,she is MUCH more suited to the written word where she can collect her thoughts and put them down logically, but on live TV she flounders.
    Anyway,morning telly is too fluffy a springboard for her kind of opinions.Imo.