Weight loss thread - 2015 edition

Comments

• allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've started a new healthy lifestyle and have lost just over a stone in a month - I feel great!

The hardest thing for me was cutting out snacking between meals but so far I've managed to cut out all the rubbish food. I've also given up pop and replaced it with drinking lots of water. Onwards and upwards!

Just wanted to update everyone on my progress . 11 weeks into my big lifestyle change and I've lost two stone and six pounds.

Changing my diet completely has made such a massive difference and I now feel a lot more active and healthy. Hope everyone else's journeys are going well!
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now lost 105lbs ..another 7lbs to get to goal....this time last year I was faced with losing 7 stone so that 7lbs is light at the end of the tunnel..

Too many positive things to list in regard to a big weight loss, but one negative has to be the loose skin, being a lady approaching 50 I knew my excess skin was going to be be an issue but I hadn't realised just what a problem it was going to be..:(

On a positive side I have enjoyed my first roller coaster ride, I was always too scared to go on one in case the lap bar wouldn't go down, didn't want to embarrass my children, what a joy to watch it glide down and click into place..It's the small things that mean so much!!
  • TangledNemoTangledNemo Posts: 537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now lost 105lbs ..another 7lbs to get to goal....this time last year I was faced with losing 7 stone so that 7lbs is light at the end of the tunnel..

Too many positive things to list in regard to a big weight loss, but one negative has to be the loose skin, being a lady approaching 50 I knew my excess skin was going to be be an issue but I hadn't realised just what a problem it was going to be..:(

On a positive side I have enjoyed my first roller coaster ride, I was always too scared to go on one in case the lap bar wouldn't go down, didn't want to embarrass my children, what a joy to watch it glide down and click into place..It's the small things that mean so much!!

Congrats! 105lbs is amazing! Good luck with losing the final bit.

I've lost just under half a stone so far and need to lose at least another half to get a healthy BMI again. I don't really have a goal weight in mind at the moment though, more working on eating healthier and increasing my fitness.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The day has nearly arrived for my wedding. I last weighed myself early last week at 12st 3lb so I'm down 2 stone and 4lbs since end of last year. I wanted to get to 10 stone and I hope I will do some day but I'm so happy with what I've achieved, if somebody had told me 6 months ago I'd lose over 2 stone by July I'd be very happy.

My husband to be loves me for who I am and I love him for who he is. Losing weight isn't vanity for me now, I've accepted I have wobbly bits, an arse you can park your bike in and the love handles to go with it. I want to be 10 stone for my health and well being. I aim to get there by Xmas, 4 1/2 stone loss in a year is pretty good going if I do make it!

Well done to all who have lost weight and continue to do so xx
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gosh yet another weight-loss thread I have dipped in and out of.

I managed to lose 12lbs (total to lose in all was 42lbs!) but a bad few weeks has set me back so I have only lost 9lbs.

I am struggling but it's a new week and I really need to get this health kick going.

Aims are 10k steps daily [I had a bad ankle sprain a few months back and have weekly physio but exercise is limited for me], 1300 calories on MFP + my breastfeeding calories and to go sugar free. Sugar is like a damn drug to me!!!
  • EBD3000EBD3000 Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just reached 6st lost today so yeah pass me the cake! ;-)

I'm about 80% of the way to my target so all is good at the moment. In a great bit of news I got into my old 501's last night and I didn't have to hold my breath in or anything......get in! :D:D:D:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Hey Guys,

Just looking for some advice, I'm not a gym member so workout at home. I'm female 26 years old. I do the Insanity workout a few times a week so not following the programme exactly, i have toned up & have gotten a lot stronger but not really losing weight.

My main problem areas are my lower body(thunder inner thighs & calves) I know there's millions of youtube videos online so just wondering does anybody watch them & what workout would be best to burn fat?:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rachelg1 wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Just looking for some advice, I'm not a gym member so workout at home. I'm female 26 years old. I do the Insanity workout a few times a week so not following the programme exactly, i have toned up & have gotten a lot stronger but not really losing weight.

My main problem areas are my lower body(thunder inner thighs & calves) I know there's millions of youtube videos online so just wondering does anybody watch them & what workout would be best to burn fat?:)

I'd always recommend sport. I'm not the greatest athlete (far from it) but I play Squash and 5 a side, and they are more fun and social than any home workout. I find it much easier to stick to.

As long as you can find people to play who don't take it too seriously that is.
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,789
    Forum Member
    I've neglected this thread, and abandoned my weight loss, for the past few weeks. It's been 3 weeks and 2 days since I last weighed in. So here goes..

Weight as of last time I weighed (19 June): 14st 5.25lbs
    Weight as of now (12 July): 14st 2.25bs
    Net change: -3lbs

So around 1lb a week, which is good considering i've been eating a lot more!
  • Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want a smaller belly sit ups are the worst thing you can do

You need to lose body fat, best thing for that is HIIT, weight training is good too

If you can handle it, something high intensity like Meta Fit is good. Or try Kettle Bells, that's a good way to lose fat too.

Exercising one area to lose fat there doesn't work as the body doesn't store fat that way.
    Forum Member
    Weight as of last time I weighed (12 July): 14st 2.25lbs
    Weight as of now (25 July): 13st 10lbs
    Net change: 6.25lbs

6.25lbs in 13 days is just great. I had a 3 week slow down from weight loss before my last weigh which has clearly helped me boost my metabolism.

Lost 75lbs since mid-February.
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over the last week I've finally dropped under 16st.
    Currently 15st 12lb.
    A 3st 2lb loss since Jan 1st and now only a few pounds from halfway to my target!
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not posted in a while. My weight loss has been a bit slow recently as I wasn't really focused for one reason or another.

The main reason was that when I started at around a size 28 I always said I wanted to get to a 16. I am there now so I was getting comfortable.

In order to get passed that I have now set myself a weight goal to aim for.

That was last weekend and this week I have had a loss of 4lb. This takes me to 2.5lb away from 10 stone total lost! Aiming for that for this week and that will be a big milestone for me.
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,149
    Forum Member
    Gosh yet another weight-loss thread I have dipped in and out of.

I managed to lose 12lbs (total to lose in all was 42lbs!) but a bad few weeks has set me back so I have only lost 9lbs.

I am struggling but it's a new week and I really need to get this health kick going.

Aims are 10k steps daily [I had a bad ankle sprain a few months back and have weekly physio but exercise is limited for me], 1300 calories on MFP + my breastfeeding calories and to go sugar free. Sugar is like a damn drug to me!!!

I know how you feel. I admit I didn't have a real weight problem, I could've done to lose a stone but couldn't be bothered as I was ok. However I've always eaten loads of sweets, always had cake in the house and loved, even craved fizzy drinks. After lots of talk in recent times about too much sugar being as bad for you as too much fat and watching Dr Chris Van Tulleken (Trust me I'm a Doctor) and his twin brother (also a doctor) take part in a study I cut right down on sugar. One was put on a high fat diet the other a high sugar diet. After a couple of months they'd both put on weight but the one on the high sugar diet was pre-diabetic. That's what made me cut right down. I didn't eat any sweets, chocolate or cake for a while and haven't drunk fizzy pop since. I do eat a little more now but not gone back to what I was eating. I lost just over a stone but also since then have eaten porridge nearly every day and my cholesterol went down from 6.8 a couple of years ago to 4.2. I don't know whether it's mostly due to the porridge or possibly cutting down sugar as well. I do eat more fresh veg these days too. So just think sugar is the enemy, not easy I know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the weight loss is still going and I've reached 6st 9lbs lost. According to the NHS web site they now don't class me as obese anymore so happy days. :):):)

I've gone from a 44 waist to a 38 but ultimately want to get to a 34/36. I did keep a couple of my old clothes and the trousers would fall down now! :D
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EBD3000 wrote: »
    Well the weight loss is still going and I've reached 6st 9lbs lost. According to the NHS web site they now don't class me as obese anymore so happy days. :):):)

I've gone from a 44 waist to a 38 but ultimately want to get to a 34/36. I did keep a couple of my old clothes and the trousers would fall down now! :D

To no longer be classed as obese I need to get under 15st but that's only 10lbs away now so I'm feeling confident.

After finally dropping below 16st it's been a few days but I seem to be holding it and not going back over.

Trying to ramp up my exercise now as I think I've got my food diet sorted.
  • missy83missy83 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi all.

Back again. I was on this thread at the start of the year and lost 12lbs but have now gained back 4lbs so am getting back on the weight loss horse.

Well done to everyone who is still going!
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    missy83 wrote: »
    Hi all.

Back again. I was on this thread at the start of the year and lost 12lbs but have now gained back 4lbs so am getting back on the weight loss horse.

Well done to everyone who is still going!

did you stop exercising? let diet go? if so why?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    did you stop exercising? let diet go? if so why?

Both! I think I found it too disheartening when I weighed myself and saw no changes. I was weighing myself a few times a day in the end which wasn't doing me any good. I'm going to focus on feeling better rather than obsessively weighing.

What are people eating everyday? I'm nosy and would love to see menus. I have planned what to eat tomorrow - what do people think?

Breakfast - Dorset Cereal muesli and a banana
    Lunch - cucumber sandwich made with one piece of 50/50 bread, a 'lighter' Babybel, handfuls of strawberries and grapes.
    Dinner - vegetable fingers, 2 potato waffles and a load of steamed veg
    Dessert - Weight watchers fruit in jelly pot
    Snack - small amount of dried fruit and nuts
    Drinks - tea and flavoured water
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EBD3000 wrote: »

Blimey!! Well done you, that is amazing.

I am 17lbs down now so well on the way to my 42lb goal [3st].

I am not sure everyone will agree with my methods but I'm basically being super healthy Mon-Fri (1400 calories per day, 10K steps per day and no carbs in the evening Weds-Fri) but I am a bit more lax on the weekend. For example tonight I have some red wine - just a mini bottle - spaghetti bolognese for dinner and a homemade flapjack for pud.

I'm averaging 1-2lbs per week and I'm not binging at the weekends, I am just easing up a bit as I feel for me personally an "evening" off helps motivate me. It's pretty much the 80/20 rule!

I need to be realistic so I am aiming for another stone before Christmas (14lbs in 20 weeks) and then I'll do my final stone Jan - June 2016.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello all

I changed gym this week. I might not be very confident in the water but I do love swimming. The gym I've joined has a pool, albeit small it's good enough to swim in and I can touch the floor even at the "deep" level. I plan on going first thing in the mornings, I much prefer to exercise before work however Friday's I'll go in the evening and "treat" myself to a sauna and jacuzzi (I don't have time for this in the morning)

So far so good. I've been doing an hours worth of swimming. I didn't go today as I've had a back massage but I'll hopefully find time to go tomorrow.

Eating wise I'm doing well. Lots of fruit and veg, proteins and lean meats. I've also cut down on my diet fizzy drinks, I used to have at least one can per day. I do allow myself a can Friday's and Saturdays though. I must admit I do feel much better because of it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    missy83 wrote: »
    Both! I think I found it too disheartening when I weighed myself and saw no changes. I was weighing myself a few times a day in the end which wasn't doing me any good. I'm going to focus on feeling better rather than obsessively weighing.

What are people eating everyday? I'm nosy and would love to see menus. I have planned what to eat tomorrow - what do people think?

Breakfast - Dorset Cereal muesli and a banana
    Lunch - cucumber sandwich made with one piece of 50/50 bread, a 'lighter' Babybel, handfuls of strawberries and grapes.
    Dinner - vegetable fingers, 2 potato waffles and a load of steamed veg
    Dessert - Weight watchers fruit in jelly pot
    Snack - small amount of dried fruit and nuts
    Drinks - tea and flavoured water

Do you use MFP at all? It might be useful for you? I use it as a planner.

I am a little off kilter today but I'll give you yesterday's menu:

Breakfast: 2 small wholemeal toast with humus, small portion melon.
    Snack: strawberries and grapes
    Lunch: 5 black olive crackers, humus, 1/2 portion of M&S Mexican chicken
    snack: other 1/2 Mexican chicken
    Dinner: 2 chicken breasts in a homemade cajun marinade. Stir fried veg - red pepper, white onions and mini courgettes.

2 cups of tea with semi skimmed milk and oodles of water.

Although today is my weigh-in day so Friday's are normally my "best" day of the week.

I am averaging 1400 calories a day (I am breastfeeding though so I get 250 calories for that - although some websites say you can have 500 calories a day if you exclusively breast feed as I do!) So I am closer to 1700 calories most days.

I also walk as much as my dodgy foot allows - long story but I am undergoing physio - and I burn roughly 300 calories a day. I tend not to "eat" these though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you use MFP at all? It might be useful for you? I use it as a planner.

I don't but I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip.
  • MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    6lbs in 8 days, I'm pleased with that. It includes Wednesday when I had an appointment at lunchtime and got so ravenous with a journey home ahead of me, I fell whole heartedly into American diner and had creamy mushrooms with garlic bread, followed by fish and chips.

My portion control is I think my downfall, also salad with Hellmans.

Now I have a box of salad from Waitrose with a Trout fillet, added sliced avocado and dressing made with 2% Total yoghurt. Just that twice a day and sometimes some berries with Total. Now my portion control is done for me. As long as I eat lunch and evening, not hungry at all.

Now 12.6, want to be 10.7 See after that whether to lose more as was 9.7 when younger. Female 5.8 tall.

Some of the weight loss here is astounding. Well done.
    Forum Member
    InMyArms wrote: »
    Weight as of last time I weighed (12 July): 14st 2.25lbs
    Weight as of now (25 July): 13st 10lbs
    Net change: 6.25lbs

Lost 75lbs since mid-February.
    Current weight: 13st 5lbs

Lost in total: 80lbs (5st 10lbs) in 6 months and 1 week.

Considering i'm a 5ft 10 guy i'd say i'm getting there. Also i'm so much happier since mid-June when I decided to up my calories. Sure it is coming off much slower now - around 1lb a week at the moment - but I am not as desperate to get it off :)