8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown

Comments

• StrakerStraker Posts: 79,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    "Seem" being the operative word. You don't like someone so you latch onto the things you don't like about them.

"Seems" logical.
    Except that your post didn't mention anyone else but Vegas and the eclair. So he was the one at fault, according to you.

No, that's the strawman you posited in order to run down my post.
    In your opinion.

If you need that spelling out you really haven't got the hang of forums.
    None so vocal as you about it though. The point is despite your negative view the panel and audience liked it. Can you not accept that, instead of denying it?

I believe I made myself perfectly clear earlier. Perhaps you should read it again, print it on a t-shirt, tattoo it backwards on your forehead so that it sinks in?
    That one paragraph puts your mindset on this forum perfectly.

The strength and conviction of my opinions puts others into weak perspective - I can see how that would bother you.
  • CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had a look at Friday's one and it's Sean & Mel Giedroyc against guest captain Lee Mack with David o'Doherty and Adam Buxton in Dictionary Corner.

It's a pain because they always seem to almost get the "perfect" lineup and then drop in someone like Joe Wilkinson or, in this case, David o'Doherty.

Doherty isn't in DC though.
  • CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also Jon Richardson isn't away because of marriage, he got married back in April, these shows were filmed recently, he's taking a break to make the format less boring from constantly winning, I think.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one thing I really dislike about this show is the 30 seconds ticking down each round with Jimmy Carr performing some "hilarious" act. It's like the producers have said "The audience are idiots who won't want to sit and think of words or sums for 30 seconds, we better keep them entertained so they don't become restless."

Really begs the question why the hell are they even bothering with Countdown?

The clock gags are the only part of the show I really like.
  • PaleHorsePaleHorse Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    The clock gags are the only part of the show I really like.

So collectively, you enjoy about 2 and a half minutes of the show?
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PaleHorse wrote: »
    Seriously!?

Yes, seriously :). As your post proved, each to their own, comedy-wise. I should have obviously clarified my post to make it clearer it was my own personal feeling about the "perfect" line-up.
    Corabal wrote: »
    Doherty isn't in DC though.

I could have done with an extra full stop there, clearly :)
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PaleHorse wrote: »
    So collectively, you enjoy about 2 and a half minutes of the show?

Pretty much, that and Rachel Riley.
  • epm-84epm-84 Posts: 3,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corabal wrote: »
    Also Jon Richardson isn't away because of marriage, he got married back in April, these shows were filmed recently, he's taking a break to make the format less boring from constantly winning, I think.

Most of the episodes were filmed in April/May. However, they tagged on 2 days of filming (4 episodes) at a later date which it appears Jon was also absent for. One episode with Sarah Millican as guest captain was filmed on the same day as the last episode of the previous series, while this coming Friday's episode with Lee Mack as guest captain was filmed a couple of months ago. They are showing them in a completely random order.

From doing a Google search Jon is doing a gig in London tonight and then he's off to Ireland for a comedy festival, so possibly he missed the recent days of filming due wanting a break in his busy schedule.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The search facility on this forum really has to be the shittiest in forum history.

I searched for countdown and got results no later than 2013.

Anyway, does that guy on dictionary corner ever have anything funny to say or does he always rely on his children and random posts on YouTube. Very strange.
  • Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else think Rachel is too skinny?

She was way more attractive before she did that dance show.
  • Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dub2 wrote: »

I hadn't been conscious of that - but now you mention it, I suppose she has lost a bit of weight. She stills looks absolutely bloody amazing though - and I'm not usually a big fan of skinny girls.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    Anyway, does that guy on dictionary corner ever have anything funny to say or does he always rely on his children and random posts on YouTube. Very strange.

I could watch Adam Buxton do YouTube comments all day long - absolutely hilarious stuff. But then I've liked his humour since the days of Adam and Joe.

Very good episode all round really apart from the odd David o'Doherty misstep. It really shows how much more relaxed the atmosphere is without Jon there.

Next week's is Sean and Freddie Flintoff against Bill Bailey and Roisin Conaty, with Rob Beckett in Dictionary Corner.
  • JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,660
    Forum Member
    Adam Buxton should be on this show every week.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buxton was hilarious as usual and minimised the pain of having to endure gag-robot Lee Mack. Critics could say that basing an act on Youtube comments is a bit lazy but his delivery and selection is so good that it overcomes such charges IMO.

Rob Beckett in Dictionary Corner next week?!?! Was Danny Dyer unavailable??
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adam Buxton was OK. Didn't like the YouTube thing one bit, but the rest was funny.

Everyone else was really good. I know I say it every week, but it's infinitely better without Jon.
  • HogeyzHogeyz Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adam Buxton is awesome. He can do no wrong in my eyes ever since his "count the mobys" round on Buzzcocks.
  • PaleHorsePaleHorse Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    You know it was a bad show when the guest in Dictionary Corner was the highlight.

Not an insult on Buxton, btw. The segment with his kid was hilarious. I especially loved the line.

"Oh, that's insane! Nobody talks like that! Again!
  • Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    Hogeyz wrote: »
    Adam Buxton is awesome. He can do no wrong in my eyes ever since his "count the mobys" round on Buzzcocks.

The 'alien or sutin' was the best bit in that episode of Buzzcocks for me!
  • DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dub2 wrote: »

perhaps but she is just jaw droppin' pretty that I don't care.
  • DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Buxton was hilarious as usual and minimised the pain of having to endure gag-robot Lee Mack. ?

Lee isn't just a gag robot, go watch his storymaking on Would I lie to You, he's also very quick witted though this episode he was a bit under par by his standards.
  • RosebuddyRosebuddy Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe that Mel woman can't do simple arithmetic, she' spent 5 years at taxpayers expense studying Italian Literature AND got a 2-2 degree FFS.

Is pretending to be thick as s**t more rewarding comedy-wise than actually playing the game in a competative manner ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Buxton was hilarious as usual and minimised the pain of having to endure gag-robot Lee Mack. Critics could say that basing an act on Youtube comments is a bit lazy but his delivery and selection is so good that it overcomes such charges IMO.

Question is does Buxton modify any of the comments or does he deliver them as they are? A lot of comedians base stories around events that happen but modify them to make them funnier.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rosebuddy wrote: »
    I can't believe that Mel woman can't do simple arithmetic, she' spent 5 years at taxpayers expense studying Italian Literature AND got a 2-2 degree FFS.

Is pretending to be thick as s**t more rewarding comedy-wise than actually playing the game in a competative manner ?

Usually you need Grade C in English and Maths at GCSE level to be able to do any university course.

When I was at university and occasionally saw Countdown I sometimes got the numbers game when Carol didn't (at least at first) and I wasn't even studying Maths. I doubt I'll ever better Rachel though, she seems to be better at it than Carol was and also is younger than me so I'm more likely to be slow to spot something. However, I'm completely rubbish at letters games - even Sean gets more than me on some rounds. Being good at one doesn't mean you're good at both.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epm-84 wrote: »
    Question is does Buxton modify any of the comments or does he deliver them as they are? A lot of comedians base stories around events that happen but modify them to make them funnier.

They don't sound particularly contrived, it's just his delivery and counterpoint. Obviously the useless ones in a thread are edited out, so that the responses are instant. The usual gag is a wordy sincere comment followed by someone swearing abuse.

I do like it as a format though, and hope he does another BUG series. He seems to have fully embraced modern tech and worked his act around it. Certainly a step on from slide projections a la Dave Gorman.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    I don't think that it was not getting the numbers round epm-84, more the fact she seriously thought 1 x 1 was a trick question n blurted out 11, then stumbled on 2 x 1 - she wasn't trying to be funny either, as it wasn't in her normal delivery style