Underrated Horror films...

Comments

• chloedancerchloedancer Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    mr.Burns wrote: »
    I think one of the most underrated Horror films is The Strangers. Tense, brutal, and a very good ending. (imho)

Any more?

I thought it was a bit underrated too but it was basically a copy of Ils which is the best horror of all time IMo and massively underrated:)
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Willbert wrote: »
    I first saw this when I had had a heavy smoke. I was glued, terrified, to my seat for its entirety. Top film.

:eek: Another vote for Event Horizon.'Where we're going we won't need eyes to see'.Terrifying and unforgettable stuff.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    I thought it was a bit underrated too but it was basically a copy of Ils which is the best horror of all time IMo and massively underrated:)
    Copy? Stop this laziness please. :mad:

According to IMDB, The Strangers was written two years before Ils was made.

It was inspired by an event from (director) Bertino's childhood. A few strangers came to his home late at night asking several times for someone unknown to him or his family. Later, he found out that other homes in the neighborhood had been ransacked and burglarized.

I'd agree there are surface similarities between the two films, but there's significant differences underneath.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    Defo the Jeepers Creepers films - the first one specially! the second was a bit rubbish and crap!

Sorority Row (remake)
    Land of the Dead
    Day of the Dead
    Scream 4
    The Descent
    Planet Terror
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Halfway House 1943
  • JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    U96 wrote: »
    :eek: Another vote for Event Horizon.'Where we're going we won't need eyes to see'.Terrifying and unforgettable stuff.

Oo I forgot about Event Horizon, never before has the sound of a zip being opened ever sounded so scary!

:eek:
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    The Halfway House 1943

Respeck! It is FINALLY coming out on DVD soon. The perfect companion piece to Ealing’s Dead of Night. I would hesitate to call Halfway House a horror film though.

The Abandoned
    Cold Prey (First one only. Second is crap)
    Dark Water (original)
    Ruins
    Creep
    Lifeforce (more SF perhaps but a masterpiece nonetheless)
    Deathwatch
    The Bunker
    Outpost
    The Crazies (original, remake is crap)
    Who Can Kill a Child?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Jenzen wrote: »
    Silent Hill

Not sure if I like it more than alot of the critics did because of the games but I thought it was very very creepy and scared me way more than much more successful horror films have.

I love Silent Hill :D
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin

Taste of Fear (sometimes known as Scream of Fear)
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Davonator wrote: »
    Martin

Taste of Fear (sometimes known as Scream of Fear)

:) I've only ever saw clips of Martin.Soft Cell were so impressed with the film they did a song about it!.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmBqVjGt5C0
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Respeck! It is FINALLY coming out on DVD soon. The perfect companion piece to Ealing’s Dead of Night. I would hesitate to call Halfway House a horror film though.

The Abandoned
    Dark Water (original)
    Ruins
    Creep
    Deathwatch
    The Bunker
    Outpost
    Who Can Kill a Child?

Indeed a cracker of a film, its not horror, its a funny one to put in a box really.

You have a great list there, very nice.

I'll add another one or two not really horror but spooky to my list

The Innocents (1961) If you've not seen it, do so. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055018/ frightened the poo out of me as a youngster.

The Uninvited 1944
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037415/
  • mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,316
    Forum Member
    ultros wrote: »
    Ghost House (1988) Is a hidden gem in my opinion.If you used to go to video rental shops in the late 80's you probably saw the cover of it (It had a girl holding a clown doll standing in front of a creepy house).
    It had bad acting and some dodgy special effects,but it was really creepy and lots of fun,with that '80's horror' charm that was so cool :cool:

+ It had this really freaky nursery rhyme type song/chant that used to start whenever something bad was about to happen :eek:

I agree that film freaked me out :D very poor acting but it was the eighties, when horror was still getting banned.
    Did you watch 'ScreamTime'? One story of a haunted house in that was great!:)
    I am going to back up another eighties film here, which I love
    'In The Company Of Wolves'.
  • mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,316
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »

The Abandoned
    Dark Water (original)
    Ruins
    Creep
    Deathwatch
    The Bunker
    Outpost
    Who Can Kill a Child?

Hey I remember Lifeforce. Pretty good. I suppose an early take on 'Species':)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a film called Pontypool, which actually was quite scary in it's concept and setting (I thought anyway).
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maniac (1980)
    The Hunger (1983)
    The Beyond (1981)
  • rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think The Mist is very underrated - not only is it scary, it has a great human story too looking at how relationships form and break down in tense situations.

Frailty was mentioned earlier which I agree with, if you get chance to see it please do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rybev wrote: »
    I think The Mist is very underrated - not only is it scary, it has a great human story too looking at how relationships form and break down in tense situations.

Frailty was mentioned earlier which I agree with, if you get chance to see it please do.

One of my Favourite films
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Dead of Night is a classic that combines the elements of suspense, thriller and horror.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    The Halfway House 1943

That sounds interesting, what is the plot of that briefly?
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    That sounds interesting, what is the plot of that briefly?

http://www.classichorror.free-online.co.uk/ealing.htm

Careful, there are spoilers in that description.

Been absolutely ages since it was on telly. DVD price is a rip-off though - Unrestored with no extra features and Optimum have a £15.99 RRP. They still seem to think it’s 2005.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Mr. Sardonicus (1961)
    Fade To Black (1980)
    Scarecrows (1988)
    Warlock (1989)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neb Adra wrote: »
    There's a film called Pontypool, which actually was quite scary in it's concept and setting (I thought anyway).

Brilliant film. The concept is great.

Another vote for Silent Hill.

Not sure if this is underrated as it has a bit of a cult following, but The Devil's Rejects. One of my favourite horrors, but not a lot of people (that I know at least) have heard of it or seen it.
  • cupoteacupotea Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to remember it getting panned by critics but I thought White Noise was actually quite an effective scary film, until it was ruined by a silly ending.