Man murders wife & travels the world on proceeds

impartialobservimpartialobserv Posts: 1,324
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've just been reading the blog of this evil, evil, man who murdered his poor wife eight days after their wedding & traveled the world on the proceeds. He was only arrested when he chose to return to the UK. Words fail.

Comments

• Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I read about this last night. A cautionary tale of the dangers of internet-romance.
  • Sarah.1987Sarah.1987 Posts: 1,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek:

Shocking story!
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloody hell. Hope he gets to serve the minimum 30 years.
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if I read the article correctly but did his wife's family believe her to be alive whilst he was travlling and writing his blog? Even the Judge said it was one of the worst cases he'd heard of. A truly sick individual.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure if I read the article correctly but did his wife's family believe her to be alive whilst he was travlling and writing his blog? Even the Judge said it was one of the worst cases he'd heard of. A truly sick individual.

Yes, he kept them at bay by faking her emails. Still odd, though.

Either way, it's horrible. I'm desperately sorry for the victim and her family.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why he returned to the UK?
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny how we can read a work of fiction or watch a film with a plot like this for pleasure; but when we read about the same thing happening in real life, our emotions are shock, outrage and disgust.
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why he returned to the UK?

I'd like to think it was a guilty conscience but who knows?
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    cultureman wrote: »
    Funny how we can read a work of fiction or watch a film with a plot like this for pleasure; but when we read about the same thing happening in real life, our emotions are shock, outrage and disgust.

Well no not really that is just understanding the difference between fiction and real life surely? I mean I quite like the odd horror movie, but the idea of someone actually being chopped up with a chainsaw doesn't really work for me.:confused:
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just been reading the blog of this evil, evil, man who murdered his poor wife eight days after their wedding & traveled the world on the proceeds. He was only arrested when he chose to return to the UK. Words fail.

Vile man. Hope he gets the whole life tariff he deserves.
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    Well no not really that is just understanding the difference between fiction and real life surely? I mean I quite like the odd horror movie, but the idea of someone actually being chopped up with a chainsaw doesn't really work for me.:confused:

Yes that's my point, how it's not the act per se, but the "realness" of the act. How in different contexts the same essential scenario elicits greatly different emotional responses.

Us humans are weird creatures in that respect.
  • PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:confused: Well....yes. Its because in the first example, no one has been hurt, whereas the second someone did get hurt.
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Yes that's my point, how it's not the act per se, but the "realness" of the act. How in different contexts the same essential scenario elicits greatly different emotional responses.

Us humans are weird creatures in that respect.

I don't think this one is that weird tbh, it's just the basic knowledge of whether what you are watching is real or not and responding appropriately based on that fact. We are sufficiently sophisticated to be able to do that (for the most part).

Not going to argue that human beings are weird in many respects though, a quick glance out of the window can confirm that at any time:)
  • Amnesia HazeAmnesia Haze Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sick bastard. Hope he gets 25+ minimum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sick bastard. Hope he gets 25+ minimum.

He was jailed for a minimum of 30 years.
  • WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A cautionary tale of the dangers of internet-romance.

Not really, she could've met him anywhere.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I read about this last night. A cautionary tale of the dangers of internet-romance.

More like a cautionary tale of being unfortunate to bump into a psychopath.
  • impartialobservimpartialobserv Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The blog's just so strange, though. He talks about the ethics of veganism and the quasi profound, philosophical discussions he has with hippy girls in hostels. It all sounds so normal (albeit immature). There's no sense that he's just hacked an innocent woman to pieces and burnt her in the garden.
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just read some his blog and it's like reading the journal of a gap year student, not a man in his mid-30's - and the fact we now know he only had the means to travel extensively due to his callous wooing, and subsequent murder, of his wife, makes it chilling.

It reads like a film script, and I wish it was a work of fiction. Poor Debbie.
  • impartialobservimpartialobserv Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why Interpol, or whoever, weren't able to track him down earlier. After all, he could easily have gone on to murder someone else. Perhaps he did?
    The blog is clearly delusional, but it also just seems so ordinary and prosaic. It's terrifying to think that a psychopath can present in a completely normal sort of a way.