Options

do you feel like an adult?

big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
Forum Member
✭✭
Do you feel like an adult?

I dont feel as much of an adult as I saw my parents when o was a kid, maybe my expectations of adulthood was different to that of reality.

I sometimes forget im an adult and dont always speak in a room full of adults as I was always brought up that kids should speak when spoken to.

Comments

• Options
    JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no i dont
    i dont even feel human
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of the time, no. My son turned 16 a few days ago and I've been looking at him and wondering how on earth I'm the parent of a 16 year old. I don't feel much older than him myself. :o
  • Options
    icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I manage a huge dept and I've got 2 grown up children .I feel ANCIENT !
  • Options
    Mr CynicMr Cynic Posts: 5,435
    Forum Member
    Only when I look in a mirror. :(
  • Options
    Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I dont. I'm 20 which is kind of that stage where society doesn't see you as a kid but they don't see you as an adult either. And if you act like an adult they'll say "shuttup you stupid kid" but if you act like a kid they'll be like "you're too old for that". So yeah fun times.

I'll probably feel like an adult when I'm like 25+ and paying my own bills and that.
  • Options
    rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    41 and only very occassionally....
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    28 and not one bit.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Cynic wrote: »
    does it say anything in return, like are you looking at me?:D
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, not compared to how I thought I'd feel as an adult when I was a child. I thought I'd worry less than I do, that I'd never have doubts, have complete confidence in myself and self-assuredness, that nothing would seem daunting etc.
  • Options
    MsBehaviourMsBehaviour Posts: 5,532
    Forum Member
    Mr Cynic wrote: »

Not even then...:D I'm 61 and feel younger every day
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    No, not compared to how I thought I'd feel as an adult when I was a child. I thought I'd worry less than I do, that I'd never have doubts, have complete confidence in myself and self-assuredness, that nothing would seem daunting etc.

You summed it all up there. Its amazing how we percieve things as kids
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

I dont feel as much of an adult as I saw my parents when o was a kid, maybe my expectations of adulthood was different to that of reality.

I sometimes forget im an adult and dont always speak in a room full of adults as I was always brought up that kids should speak when spoken to.

You mean, kids should only speak when (they are) being spoken to? And in answer to your original question, yes. I'm 49. If I don't feel like an adult now, I never will.

I mean. If I ever ventured into a nightclub these days, I'm old enough to be most people's dads.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In many ways the last half century or so has seen the infantilisation of pretty much all stages of adulthood, as compared with the demands and expectation of former times.

Which in many respects isn't necessarily a bad thing.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel like a 20 year old. Unfortunately, he doesn't like me.
  • Options
    BZRBZR Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im 23 and I don't feel like a adult at all, not sure if this is because I look young but I do get treated like I am younger than I am at work :(
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Yes, but only because I am now in my early 30s and have gotten used to having my own house, a long term relationship and a well developed career.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps your `Peter Pan`
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    God no. I'm almost 25. I can't even look after a house plant, my grandparents were married with my Mum by my age!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I keep feeling like people will suddenly realize I am not an adult and that I am just 'playing pretend'.

I am 26 on Saturday, so I think this makes me 'officially' an adult now:o:eek::(
  • Options
    Pandora 9Pandora 9 Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel the same as I did when I was 16, its a pity I don't look the same. I have been told by a few people that I am childish which hasn't offended me because I am :D
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 21 and 5ft 7, ten years ago I hadn't even hit puberty so adulthood is still very new to me. I just can't get into the habit of calling myself an adult because I feel the same way today as I did when I was 16, of course I've matured but I still have a bubbly personality.

Oh and I wear dungarees, take that society!
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. I don't feel young but my memories of my parents are from their mid-40s on and I don't feel as mature and 'grown-up' as they've always seemed. Then again now that my Mum has gone I've grown closer to my Dad and actually he's not as mature and grown-up as I used to think :)
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Not really, no. I'm 27.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    Sometimes I do, but often I still feel like a child. It's like I am pretending to be a grown up.

What I can't get my head round is that as my current age my mum had me (7) and my brother (5),
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. If I didn't at my age then it would be a bit weird!