Options

Advice for a new a Mac user.

Comments

• Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    PPhilster wrote: »
    You didn't strike me as someone interested in going Mac. What Macs are you considering?

The best way to run Windows on a Mac for performance is natively through a Boot Camp partition. In that case you can continue using whatever existing Windows back up solution you already use.

You can also use Windows within OS X virtually through Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion. I have no idea how backup in that environment would work.

The latest iterations of Parallels now run a Windows VM pretty close to running it natively performance wise. I use Acronis to back up the VM plus I make a clone every so often.
  • Options
    The RatThe Rat Posts: 6,048
    Forum Member
    I am aware of "plenty of examples" but I've been using Macs for years and "usually" is still accurate.

When we talk of computer security, once is too often. Security should always be an immediate and pressing concern.

Dave
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Faust wrote: »
    The latest iterations of Parallels now run a Windows VM pretty close to running it natively performance wise. I use Acronis to back up the VM plus I make a clone every so often.

The recent iterations of Parallels are excellent.

Dave
  • Options
    PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faust wrote: »

The more demanding tasks still have native running significantly quicker. That said, if you have a high spec Mac you'll certainly get good performance.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/benchmarking-parallels-fusion-and-virtualbox-against-boot-camp
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Rat wrote: »
    When we talk of computer security, once is too often. Security should always be an immediate and pressing concern.

Dave

Agreed, but that's not what I was addressing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Agreed, but that's not what I was addressing.

You have lost me now.

Dave
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have lost me now.

Dave

post 27
  • Options
    Forum Member
    post 27

And I disagree.

Dave
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I disagree.

Dave

That's OK.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    That's because on a Bootcamp partition it will be running natively instead of virtually, as I said.

I know. I think VMs are fine if you just want to try out an OS or you just need to use everyday programs. I mostly wanted the Windows partition for games and Dark Side software I might need.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know. I think VMs are fine if you just want to try out an OS or you just need to use everyday programs. I mostly wanted the Windows partition for games and Dark Side software I might need.

Virtual is handy for those that want to work OS X and Windows side by side. For such people the hit in performance is acceptable.

I have the highest spec current iMac (3.4 i7, 32 gigs of rams and a Fusion drive) and I'm considering going virtual also as my limited Windows needs are lite on load.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Virtual is handy for those that want to work OS X and Windows side by side. For such people the hit in performance is acceptable.

I have the highest spec current iMac (3.4 i7, 32 gigs of rams and a Fusion drive) and I'm considering going virtual also as my limited Windows needs are lite on load.

It would be interesting to use the 3-OS approach used in the Xbox One in this scenario allowing for instant switching between two environments but near-native performance on each.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    It would be interesting to use the 3-OS approach used in the Xbox One in this scenario allowing for instant switching between two environments but near-native performance on each.

I'm not familiar with that. How does that work?
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The recent iterations of Parallels are excellent.

Dave

Totally agree. While I do have mine configured to run either in Boot Camp or as a VM. These days it is extremely rare that I find the need to bother booting into native Windows.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not familiar with that. How does that work?

The first "OS" is a hypervisor - very small, very minimal. The other two OSes are both virtual and "sit on top" of the hypervisor. So the hypervisor is acting like a thin layer between these two other OSes and the hardware.

The reason they did this is on the Xbox One is that one VM is very much like Windows running apps and having all sorts of APIs etc, the other VM is optimised for gaming - very stripped down and minimal - designed to maximise gaming performance.

If a Mac did this, it would mean both Windows and OS X could be run simultaneously (unlike with Bootcamp where you have to re-boot to change) but both would have effectively native running levels of performance as the hypervisor layer is very minimal and you can switch instantaneously between both environments.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    psionic wrote: »
    Totally agree. While I do have mine configured to run either in Boot Camp or as a VM. These days it is extremely rare that I find the need to bother booting into native Windows.

That is the killer feature.

Dave
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anyone know of a Windows software compatibility list for Parallels? I found nothing on their site.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    The first "OS" is a hypervisor - very small, very minimal. The other two OSes are both virtual and "sit on top" of the hypervisor. So the hypervisor is acting like a thin layer between these two other OSes and the hardware.

The reason they did this is on the Xbox One is that one VM is very much like Windows running apps and having all sorts of APIs etc, the other VM is optimised for gaming - very stripped down and minimal - designed to maximise gaming performance.

If a Mac did this, it would mean both Windows and OS X could be run simultaneously (unlike with Bootcamp where you have to re-boot to change) but both would have effectively native running levels of performance as the hypervisor layer is very minimal and you can switch instantaneously between both environments.

Sounds good but I doubt Apple itself would go that far. They see the support of booting into Windows as added and unique value but for them to try and get Windows to work on an equal footing at the same time would take attention away from OS X, something they obviously wouldn't want.

Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds good but I doubt Apple itself would go that far. They see the support of booting into Windows as added and unique value but for them to try and get Windows to work on an equal footing at the same time would take attention away from OS X, something they obviously wouldn't want.

Thanks for the info.

Why did you offer bootcamp then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know of a Windows software compatibility list for Parallels? I found nothing on their site.

I've personally not yet encountered anything that doesn't work under Parallels.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

I always thought having both OSX and Windows running side by side looked a bit weird :eek: I'm quite happy to run it natively.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did you offer bootcamp then?

Not understanding your question.
  • Options
    Dark 1Dark 1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Last time I tried Parallels, you couldn't actually do this due to Microsoft's licensing restrictions. Windows 7 would unauthenticate itself every time you swapped from native to virtual. Have they found a way around this now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dark 1 wrote: »
    Last time I tried Parallels, you couldn't actually do this due to Microsoft's licensing restrictions. Windows 7 would unauthenticate itself every time you swapped from native to virtual. Have they found a way around this now?
    It is slightly better now. It only un-authenicates the first time. As running as a VM is considered a separate computer. I just reactivated Windows over the automated phone service Microsoft provide and all was well on both bootcamp and virtualised bootcamp after that. You must install bootcamp and native Windows first before setting up Parallels to use the bootcamp partition (cannot install as a totally separate VM). After all it is the same Windows on the same computer, but strictly speaking MS consider it two machines.
  • Options
    paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is slightly better now. It only un-authenicates the first time. As running as a VM is considered a separate computer. I just reactivated Windows over the automated phone service Microsoft provide and all was well on both bootcamp and virtualised bootcamp after that. You must install bootcamp and native Windows first before setting up Parallels to use the bootcamp partition (cannot install as a totally separate VM). After all it is the same Windows on the same computer, but strictly speaking MS consider it two machines.

This also effect other software that authenticates online including MS Office as well as others. I use a program called Sporttracks thats Windows only and each installation requires a license.

Unless you're a gamer then using Parallels is fast enough on a modern mac for the odd program you may need that is'nt natively available for Mac, the only downside for me is it kills the battery life on my Macbook pro.

And using Parallels rather than Boot camp keeps the hard drive patitioning neater.