Options

Sky Sports and ESPN to leave Top Up TV (merged)

tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Lots of reports on these forums and other that the two Sky sports channels will be leaving Topuptv some say 1 June some say 3 June and the 12 June and the end of June.

Don't know if it area by area like DSO but if you lose or have already lost the Sky Sports channel please post.

Comments

• Options
    Neville_BreakspNeville_Breaksp Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    bt have told me ss1 and ss2 will go off june 3rd on my bt vision box if your tutv ss1 and ss2 go surely this will spell the end of tutv unless bt takes them over
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bt have told me ss1 and ss2 will go off june 3rd on my bt vision box if your tutv ss1 and ss2 go surely this will spell the end of tutv unless bt takes them over

Thanks for the reply can you post in Monday when they go just to confirm Thank you.
  • Options
    VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, funny (strange) that. Today, on my Vision box DTT Sky Sports went Blip! And was then replaced with very high quality broadband channels. And no warning what-so-ever. Not that I'm complaining, TBH.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tomee wrote: »
    Lots of reports on these forums and other that the two Sky sports channels will be leaving Topuptv some say 1 June some say 3 June and the 12 June and the end of June.

Don't know if it area by area like DSO but if you lose or have already lost the Sky Sports channel please post.

It appears to be a phased withdrawal of Sky Sports for BT subscribers.

When this will impact Top Up TV subscribers is unknown but I would expect it to be after 12th June.

When TUTV subscribers see a blank screen you will know its no longer available. Would be nice if they gave some info but its asking too much apparently....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VisionMan1 wrote: »
    Yeah, funny (strange) that. Today, on my Vision box DTT Sky Sports went Blip! And was then replaced with very high quality broadband channels. And no warning what-so-ever. Not that I'm complaining, TBH.

What channels did you get to replaces them?
    It appears to be a phased withdrawal of Sky Sports for BT subscribers.

When this will impact Top Up TV subscribers is unknown but I would expect it to be after 12th June.

When TUTV subscribers see a blank screen you will know its no longer available. Would be nice if they gave some info but its asking too much apparently....

I would think Monday would've been the lasts day Topuptv can wait to give out information.But as you say i might be asking to much of Topuptv.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What channels did you get to replaces them?

I would think Monday would've been the lasts day Topuptv can wait to give out information.But as you say i might be asking to much of Topuptv.

Well they are still advertising Sky Sports and ESPN on their website (although you cannot add them to your basket and its been like this for at least 2 weeks). This says it all about TUTVs desire to keep everyone in the dark till the last minute.
  • Options
    duffman25duffman25 Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think this week will be the week that there is big news from top up tv hopefully to say they got the bt channels to prove lot people Wong, if its not that it will be very bad day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

Surely Top Up have the rights for ESPN on Channel 34 until the 31st July when BT take over ESPN. BT are removing their customers from DTT and replacing it with the IPTV version.
  • Options
    MeMeMeIMeMeMeI Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does TUTV limit itself to the Freeview broadcast service only
  • Options
    kjhskj75kjhskj75 Posts: 3,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MeMeMeI wrote: »

Presumably because their boxes do not have broadband connectors. BT Vision boxes do.
  • Options
    Kipper2Kipper2 Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    That's right the TUTV boxes don't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,252
    Forum Member
    MeMeMeI wrote: »
    Because that is their business plan.

Why don't Sky sell jelly doughnuts?

Same reason. :D
  • Options
    BangersBangers Posts: 3,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Top Up TV wanted to they could have kept up with the times and launched some kind of IPTV offering. When the iCan box came out, some of us thought that might have been what they were going to do!

Don't forget when Top Up TV launched it was a 4.5 stream linear TV service that relied on old ONdigital/ITV Digital boxes and CAMs. Shortly after branded Top Up TV Thompson boxes came out. Then a few years later when they lost some capacity, they kept going by launching the DTR and relying on overnight downloads and a limited amount of live streaming.

Top Up TV could have chosen a route similar BT Vision if they were that bothered.
    Top Up TV could have chosen a route similar to TalkTalk TV if they were that bothered.

Instead Top Up TV seems to be having it's Last Rites read to it.
  • Options
    Neville_BreakspNeville_Breaksp Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    my bt vision ss1 and ss2 and espn are still working ok
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it looks like top up tv is closing down I received a letter today from them

http://mail.aol.com/37752-111/aim-6/en-gb/mail/get-attachment.aspx?uid=30117080&folder=Inbox&partId=3
  • Options
    rich1986rich1986 Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    Hi,

The link isnt working.
  • Options
    SobeitSobeit Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    duffman25 wrote: »

http://mail.aol.com/37752-111/aim-6/en-gb/mail/get-attachment.aspx?uid=30117080&folder=Inbox&partId=3
    Your link requires us to sign into AOL and so doesn't show us the content of the letter.
  • Options
    ashjfashjf Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hi, thats aink to your emails, can you copy/paste the letter here?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    does that one work
  • Options
    RileyMRileyM Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

**Removed**
    does that one work

Not really, very diffiult to read. Can you not copy/paste the text from the email in your inbox here?
  • Options
    SobeitSobeit Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    In summary:

They are stopping Sky Sports from 1 July, ESPN from 1 August.
    Thay have no Sports channels to replace them with.
    They have negotiated with Sky to allow Sky to send you special deals to try to get you to transfer to Sky.

It says nothing about their other services.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought I phone and see got good deal 12months all sky tv channels for £35.50 free box and fitting.
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sobeit wrote: »
    In summary:

They are stopping Sky Sports from 1 July, ESPN from 1 August.
    Thay have no Sports channels to replace them with.
    They have negotiated with Sky to allow Sky to send you special deals to try to get you to transfer to Sky.

It says nothing about their other services.

I assume users of the other services will have been sent a similar letter too.