Options

Domestic abuse due to 'football on tv'

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    We have the football on in the background and all I can report is the tone of the evening is darker than normal.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    To be clear, domestic abuse is real, and it's wrong, m'kay?

I question the correlation to footy.

I'm not watching England in real time, 'cos (shock) my family took priority. No shit.
  • Options
    fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst the figures on reported domestic abuse cases have not been released for this years football tournament, due to the fact that the tournament has not yet reached its conclusion, it is fact, that historically, when a football tournament is on, domestic abuse does rise. All the op wants to do, is raise awareness of this fact and send their sympathy to anyone who may be unfortunate enough to suffer.
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »

I'm not watching England in real time, 'cos (shock) my family took priority. No shit.

And statistics seem to show there's an increase linked to football, m'kay? That's all was being said.
  • Options
    alaninmcralaninmcr Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do domestic abuse cases increase dramatically when only football tournaments are on tv ?

My heart goes out to the football-widows (& kids) who dread the likes of Euro 2012 & the World Cup dominating BBC1 & ITV solidly over this time of year for fear of becoming a victim of violence & abuse.

Are you sure this isn't just a variation on the false claim about the Superbowl ?
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how much is caused by one partner refusing to let the other one watch it. I've been with partners who would do anything to make distractions when football was on including deciding to vacuum, for no apparent reason, randomly and persistently in front of the telly.

The non-football loving partner can get very confrontational if football is on. Almost as if watching one game is an affront to the relationship, but five hours of Emmerdale, Hollyoaks, Coronation Street and Eastenders - isn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Espresso wrote: »
    It's pretty well established that domestic violence increases during these tournaments. And the birthrate goes up forty weeks later.

Hang on. I'm allegedly drunk liek (sic) the stereotypical male footy supporter.

I'd infer a drop in birthrate due to incapacity.
    I'd not imply that incapacity implies violence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    And statistics seem to show there's an increase linked to football, m'kay? That's all was being said.

Were that true.

(conditional, subjunctive)

I might concede the correlation, but I challenge the snarky inferences.

I'm shit-faced now, I'm articulate, I'm (considering my condition) polite, and I'm a footy fan.
  • Options
    Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member

They took priority but youre posting on here ?

M'kay:D chill bro :p
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm shit-faced now , and I'm a footy fan.
    No shit.:D:p

Sorry, just messing and want to lighten the mood.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    No shit.:D:p

Sorry, just messing and want to lighten the mood.:o

We're cool. :)

I'm back on real time footy. :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pet1986 wrote: »
    They took priority but youre posting on here ?

M'kay:D chill bro :p

Yup Watching Lewis while we ate.
  • Options
    shantomshantom Posts: 2,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe because some people turn into neanderthals as far as football is concerned. You should hear my neighbours next door they're a prime example :eek:
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's already been tension in this house because of the damn footy. It's a good job I'm not violent but I have been sorely tempted to shove the remote control up his backside because he likes it deafening loud and it's pissing me off.

It's the yada yada yada bullshit from the commentators (especially the ITV ones, what a bunch of over exciteable bellends they are) and the general drone of the crowd noise. It gives me a headache.

The thing is, I don't mind him watching football, I don't watch telly so it's not like I'm sore because I'm missing eastenders or some other drivel but why do men like it on so loud??
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To my mind football, tv , films etc , none of them cause domestic violence. The person who commits the act of violence causes it and is responsible for it. Any excuse could set them off if they arer that way inclined its their makeup and lack of self control that caused them to act that way not a game.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,077
    Forum Member
    Thesedays you'd think people might have more than one telly in their house to watch different things...

I cannot really comment on a personal situation though as my parents manage to watch a game perfectly well together!

Then again they aren't the type of young aggressive people we're talking about.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can well imagine there will be knuckle draggers out there who will take out their frustrations on their families when England fails. But they're dicks already, it's not like football is the cause.
  • Options
    Audio RebelAudio Rebel Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fleet wrote: »
    Whilst the figures on reported domestic abuse cases have not been released for this years football tournament, due to the fact that the tournament has not yet reached its conclusion, it is fact, that historically, when a football tournament is on, domestic abuse does rise. All the op wants to do, is raise awareness of this fact and send their sympathy to anyone who may be unfortunate enough to suffer.

Exactly.
    Apart from the Derbyshire Police campaign 'What time is kick off in your house?',here's 2 very recent articles which backs up my original opening comment..

http://www.womensviewsonnews.org/2012/06/campaign-against-domestic-violence-as-euro-2012-kicks-off/

http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4247
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    To my mind football, tv , films etc , none of them cause domestic violence. The person who commits the act of violence causes it and is responsible for it. Any excuse could set them off if they arer that way inclined its their makeup and lack of self control that caused them to act that way not a game.

It is not the football in my opinion, it is the tendency to associate watching football with the need to drink at the same time. You only have to look at advertising on TV to see the link.

To be a victim of drink associated violence is not good, to then know that your spouse also likes to drink whilst football tournaments are on must be horrendous if that coverage is day after day and the tendency seems to be to drink more.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Thesedays you'd think people might have more than one telly in their house to watch different things...

I cannot really comment on a personal situation though as my parents manage to watch a game perfectly well together!

Then again they aren't the type of young aggressive people we're talking about.

You're very much mistaken if you think domestic violence is only carried out by young people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're very much mistaken if you think domestic violence is only carried out by young people.

Good point.It's not just the blokes who lash out either..
  • Options
    sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know someone who was a victim of domestic violence. It was usually quite a rare occurrence, but she dreaded football matches and used to pray for his team to win - if they didn't, she knew she would be in trouble :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sofieellis wrote: »
    I know someone who was a victim of domestic violence. It was usually quite a rare occurrence, but she dreaded football matches and used to pray for his team to win - if they didn't, she knew she would be in trouble :(

Has she left him, moved on & found someone less volatile now ?
  • Options
    sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has she left him, moved on & found someone less volatile now ?

yes, thankfully :)
  • Options
    Hootie19Hootie19 Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work in the Intake & Assessment Team in children's services and yes, whenever there is a "big" football match, we always see an increase in domestic violence referrals :(

The police always refer to us if they are called to a DV incident where children are concerned.

I assume they are called to many more, where there are no children.