Options

Adele's "Someone Like You" reaches #1 on the American iTunes chart!

InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
Forum Member
Just after she performed on an awards show there, this is like deja vu to the Brit Awards :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    :'( Rihanna has no chance now :'(
  • Options
    jack soonjack soon Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not even in tune - it's all about the hype
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Well done beautiful Adele.
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jack soon wrote: »
    Not even in tune - it's all about the hype

If she was as out of tune as you suggest, do you really think all those people would go out of their way to download the song she sang? Give us a break :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    who cares if she wasnt in tune - the song is great ..if it was all about the hype lady gaga would be at number one but she isnt !
  • Options
    my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    millions of people hearing a song and deciding they like it and buying it is the opposite of hype
  • Options
    jack soonjack soon Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    millions of people hearing a song and deciding they like it and buying it is the opposite of hype

People hearing a song out of tune and buying it anyway is the epitome of hype
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jack soon wrote: »
    People hearing a song out of tune and buying it anyway is the epitome of hype

the epitome of bad taste maybe, not the epitome of hype. although, she was wasn't even that bad. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    She's never just going to go away is she!!? :sleep:
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    I know she didn't hit every note, but I still think she did a fantastic job. Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Beyonce don't hit every note when they sing either. NOBODY does. It's practically impossible, unless you're singing a 15 second-long nursery rhyme.

Adele did fine, and this situation is no different to when the Black Eyed Peas performed Just Can't Get Enough on American Idol and shot up to #1, or when they peformed Meet Me Halfway and The Time in the UK on X Factor, and both shot up to #1.

I don't see why it's okay for the Black Eyed Peas to do that, but not Adele. It's exactly the same situation. They perform the songs on TV somewhere, the audience connect with the song after the brilliant performances, and they shoot to #1.
  • Options
    purpleteardropspurpleteardrops Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's still got a long way to go before she's #1 on the billboard charts though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She's still got a long way to go before she's #1 on the billboard charts though.

She'll be fine. Maybe not this week, but the airplay will pick up and she'll do it. The same happened with Rolling in the Deep. It's lack of airplay originally lost it out on a couple of weeks at #1 officially, but a couple of months later her airplay was through the roof, and he got a couple of extra weeks at #1 officially, even though she wasn't actually selling the most. I think the same will happen with Someone Like You.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she will live if she doesn't get to #1. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    She'll be fine. Maybe not this week, but the airplay will pick up and she'll do it. The same happened with Rolling in the Deep. It's lack of airplay originally lost it out on a couple of weeks at #1 officially, but a couple of months later her airplay was through the roof, and he got a couple of extra weeks at #1 officially, even though she wasn't actually selling the most. I think the same will happen with Someone Like You.

Her biggest threat I think is Y&I. It may be lower is sales but it's still growing and has bigger airplay and it's airplay is increasing at a faster rate than SLY.
  • Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Yay! The success just keeps on rolling. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great news :) I hope they film a proper video.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Her biggest threat I think is Y&I. It may be lower is sales but it's still growing and has bigger airplay and it's airplay is increasing at a faster rate than SLY.

Yep. She'll be battling with You and I for #1 in the coming weeks I think. Also Moves Like Jagger and Pumped Up Kicks are contenders. Katy Perry is currently #1, but I think this will be her last week. I think she's falling out of the top 20 on iTunes now!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think kelly clarkson`s new song might do better than expected. its really good and its out on september 5th. a dark horse, so to speak.
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    I don't see Y&I being a genuine rival for #1, personally. If it was going to challenge sales wise it wouldn't be #4 on US iTunes today IMO. SLY should now explode at radio (they aren't stupid, they will have seen what's happened since the VMAs). It's just a matter of matching peak sales with decent airplay and she could have her second #1. But the US is always tricky to predict with their 'different' way of calculating the singles chart.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    I don't see Y&I being a genuine rival for #1, personally. If it was going to challenge sales wise it wouldn't be #4 on US iTunes today IMO. SLY should now explode at radio (they aren't stupid, they will have seen what's happened since the VMAs). It's just a matter of matching peak sales with decent airplay and she could have her second #1. But the US is always tricky to predict with their 'different' way of calculating the singles chart.

Y&I is the only new upcoming song in the top ten that could pose a risk. Though it could hold out until SLY is done and become #1 then. I'd be more than happy with a top five peak for Y&I anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the Brit Awards effect again! Stateside haha!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow! The fact that her Album has done so well in America surprises me SLY has gotten near the top 5!!

Watching the performance brings back the memories of cold wintery days with snugly clothing. :p

Probs' just me though. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Oi! Oi! Well done Adele! I have a feeling she's going to dominate at the Grammy's!
  • Options
    KingsyKingsy Posts: 1,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »
    Just after she performed on an awards show there, this is like deja vu to the Brit Awards :)

"An awards show", it was the MTV VMAs! Possibly the biggest award show in America :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    I just checked and she's currently at 3, unless I'm missing something...still pretty good though.