Options

Top Of The Pops 1978 - BBC4

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    "1978 was Baker Street and Hot Legs, Wuthering Heights and Starship Trooper, Three Times a Lady and Mr. Blue Sky."

Eraserhead - you are making me ache with nostalgia!
  • Options
    eurofandaveeurofandave Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    I'm looking forward to Dee D.Jackson's 'Automatic Lover' performance! :)
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the first 1978 TOTP on this Thursday? If so, bring it on as I'm looking forward to it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Servalan wrote: »
    I don't doubt many of Saville's accusers are genuine - but we have already seen one instance of a woman claiming he put his hand up her skirt on TOTP when she was clearly seen to be wearing trousers. So there are, unfortunately, already people telling lies to get some easy money out of the tabloids - people who are obviously happy to trivialise Saville's appalling behaviour.

As far as DLT is concerned, however, any allegations against him are, as I understand it, not of remotely the same nature as those against Saville (i.e. they don't involve children). They sound more like allegations of sexual harrassment in the workplace. And, while that is obviously not a good thing, I don't think it warrants quite the same level of concern as what Saville did - and clearly someone at the BBC must feel the same, otherwise we wouldn't have seen DLT on more than one occasion in the 1978 documentary.

Unfortunately, however, it would appear that the BBC's response is being dictated by the Daily Heil and its own hypocritical morality, and that is why the DLT episodes are being banned. Someone at the BBC needs to grow a pair - and fast.

It's been a long time since the BBC had a pair. It's a pity another broadcaster didn't take over the 70s TOTP because the BBC have no balls! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If I was DLT, I would make an official public complaint against the BBC for not showing his episodes. It gives the impression that the BBC think he is guilty, and he could argue that would go against him if any ruling was to be made of him. With his episodes not being shown, he could also argue his reputation is being damaged.

I will be writing to the BBC complaints department and I hope everybody else who feels the same way does the same thing. I hate the BBC, I really do. :(
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What annoys me is that the Beeb will not comprimise & show the affected clips/shows in a Totp2/At The BBC/Big Hits style format.

That would be better than nothing.
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Calum42 wrote: »
    If I was DLT, I would make an official public complaint against the BBC for not showing his episodes. It gives the impression that the BBC think he is guilty, and he could argue that would go against him if any ruling was to be made of him. With his episodes not being shown, he could also argue his reputation is being damaged.

I will be writing to the BBC complaints department and I hope everybody else who feels the same way does the same thing. I hate the BBC, I really do. :(

It does not give an impressionof guilt. It gives the impression of the BBC just taking a deep breath on all of this and taking off DLT whilst these accusations are hanging over him, and I have no problem with that. There are many employers who put staff on paid suspension if they are charged with a crime. Should I be charged with anything I have to inform my employer, the civil service, and I may be placed on paid suspension, depending on the circumstances. This is not an indication that they think I am guilty.

Do we know if DLT himself has asked that they be not shown in the meantime?
  • Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    Calum42 wrote: »

Yeah - Good for you! - I mean DLT and Savile are 2 separate cases being tarred with the same brush - and the TV viewing of hundreds of thousands is being affected because of allegations of just TWO women!! :o

!!1978 DESERVES TO BE SHOWN AS A WHOLE YEAR - NOT IN BITS & PIECES!! :cool:
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm looking forward to Dee D.Jackson's 'Automatic Lover' performance! :)

Me too - the robot! :eek::D
  • Options
    Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    Is the first 1978 TOTP on this Thursday? If so, bring it on as I'm looking forward to it!

I see 'Isn't It Time' by The Babys is listed. Unfortunately the TOTP appearance doesn't help it past number 45 in the UK but, in a display of very good taste, it goes to number one in Australia.

It's fascinating to spot other under achieving records at this time - 'You light up my life' stranded at 48 over Christmas, 'Lay Down Sally' peaking at 39. Presumably neither ever appeared on TOTP.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pedrok wrote: »
    There are many employers who put staff on paid suspension if they are charged with a crime. Should I be charged with anything I have to inform my employer, the civil service, and I may be placed on paid suspension, depending on the circumstances. This is not an indication that they think I am guilty.
    I was not aware that DLT had been charged with anything. Merely being arrested is a long, long way from being a criminal (or even a potential criminal). To be charged means that the police consider a crime has been committed and that they think the person charged had committed it.

As for him being "out on police bail", since no security is required anda person CANNOT refuse police bail, that status means nothing so far as guilt or innocence is concerned. It's just an official term for making an appointment to reappear at a specific place and time. (Though not turning up IS an offence of its own).
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick G wrote: »
    I see 'Isn't It Time' by The Babys is listed. Unfortunately the TOTP appearance doesn't help it past number 45 in the UK but, in a display of very good taste, it goes to number one in Australia.

It's fascinating to spot other under achieving records at this time - 'You light up my life' stranded at 48 over Christmas, 'Lay Down Sally' peaking at 39. Presumably neither ever appeared on TOTP.

'You Light Up My Life''s failure to impact on the British charts is mirrored by the failure of UK Xmas number 1 'Mull Of Kintyre' to make any headway in the US charts.

I'm still amazed nobody has tried to have a hit with 'You Light Up My Life' here. Unfortunately, it now has 'X Factor cover' written all over it ... :eek::rolleyes:;)
  • Options
    Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So strange you've mentioned that as I've always thought the same thing. Simon Cowell gets female X Factor winner with nice voice, identifies song that spent ten weeks at number one in America and peaked at 48 here, finds a competent pianist and away you go...
  • Options
    tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    What's wrong with Maria? Great track!

One of their best is that one. I'll admit that I couldn't believe it was Blondie when I first heard it played on the radio and was delighted that it got to #1. The lovely Debbie forgot the words to it during the second verse the last time I saw Blondie live in about 2006. I really hope that we get to see the episode in which Blondie first appeared on TOTP at some point this year.
    I've been looking forward to Blondie's performances in particular.

'Isn't it Time' is one of those songs I've frequently cited as an example of one that is usually fondly remembered and recognised as a classic song despite failing to get into the top 40; it's a testament to how good the song is though. Our home grown talent was clearly recognised in the States where I believe the track reached #13 on the Billboard Hot 100. Equally lead singer John Waite's biggest solo hit, 'Missing You,' was deserving of a top 5 position here in my opinion (it topped the Billboard Hot 100), although the week it peaked at #9 it was beaten by some classics like 'Together in Electric Dreams,' 'I Feel for You' and 'All Cried Out.' Seriously though, 'The War Song' by Culture Club and 'I Just Called to Say I Love You,' which had already been a #1, sold more copies that week?:confused: I've noticed that 'Drive' by the Cars was in the charts (for the first run) at the same time as 'Missing You.' I see that 'My Best Friend's Girl' was featured on Mike Read's TOTP debut in 1978.

'Lay Down Sally' is another one. Apparently it was a top 3 Hot 100 hit in the USA. I don't think it was ever featured on TOTP at the time, though I expect Legs & Co could have done a good routine to it:p. Despite not doing well at all as a single here it still gets played on the radio and is probably one of Eric's best known songs. Co-written by Marcella Detroit (one half of Shakespears Sister) I believe. Ridiculous that it didn't get any higher than #39 really. How many people will admit to buying 'The Floral Dance' by the Brighouse & Rastrick Brass Band now, I wonder?

As a postscript, I suppose it shows how 'eclectic' our charts can be. Equally some dross has performed very well in the USA but didn't bother our charts all that much. I know it's got some cult status now but that 'Baby Got Back' nonsense by Sir Mix-a-lot was a failure here on release in 1992 and 1992 wasn't exactly the best year for music either. Apparently it even won a Grammy!
  • Options
    tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    Westy2 wrote: »
    What annoys me is that the Beeb will not comprimise & show the affected clips/shows in a Totp2/At The BBC/Big Hits style format.

That would be better than nothing.

I can't see anything wrong with that approach. It makes sense to highlight all the performances that were only shown once in the entire year and have a special show for them. They could call it something like 'TOTP: Appearing One Time Only' or TOTP: One-Offs.'

I've said it before but I will say again that if in future an actor in one of Auntie's weekly shows is accused of something and bailed, particularly one show that's often seen its stars in the papers for wrongdoings over the years, I hope they're consistent and take all the affected episodes off the air. If that means taking the particular show off the air for a week at a time, so much the better! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes I'm surprised Isn't It Time didn't make the Top 10!! :eek:

- I also think 1 More Night by Yellow Dog (out at about the same time) should have been Top 3!! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pedrok wrote: »
    It does not give an impressionof guilt. It gives the impression of the BBC just taking a deep breath on all of this and taking off DLT whilst these accusations are hanging over him, and I have no problem with that. There are many employers who put staff on paid suspension if they are charged with a crime. Should I be charged with anything I have to inform my employer, the civil service, and I may be placed on paid suspension, depending on the circumstances. This is not an indication that they think I am guilty.

Do we know if DLT himself has asked that they be not shown in the meantime?

Perhaps if DLT had been suspended from a show he was presenting at the moment, then I would understand, but these are repeats from 35 years ago! And I can't imagine DLT has asked for his shows to be not shown. If he has, I would be very surprised.

It's a shame it has come to this situation in the present times we live in, because I would love to see a full programme of TOTP repeats, excluding the Saville ones, of course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not sure if this has been put up yet - but I notice it came out 1 day before the Savile news report!! :rolleyes:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20969876

Let's hope the BEEB have the balls to stick to their guns now!!

And HURRAY for everyone who sent letters of complaint to the BBC about stopping the shows - I'm sure they must've had some impact!! ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I know this may sound a bit too easy but can someone explain why any links involving Saville or DLT cant just be edited out and the the performances just shown as usual. I only really want to listen and watch the acts. How many minutes per episode will be lost?
  • Options
    faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    merrim01 wrote: »
    I wasn't aware there were lots of complaints when Glitter featured in a couple of episodes last year?

When Jonathan King complained to the BBC about his July 1976 performance being cut from the edited edition and BOTH late night extended editions of TOTP he received a written apology from the BBC Director General assuring him that no more of his TOTP appearances would be edited out:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2050698

At the time (October 2011) a corporation source said 'The BBC doesn't think it should be rewriting history so will be showing these programmes in their entirety'.

Sad to say, Auntie's assurance did not hold up for long :mad:.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rumours a rather famous singer is soon to be arrested. Could create problems for re-runs that dwarf Savile or DLT's ramifications.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/290220226304413698/photo/1
  • Options
    faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    Ahhh - Squeeze! And Jools Holland begins a realtionship of sorts with the BBC..

His first presenting job was co-host of the controversial Channel 4 music show 'The Tube' alongside Paula Yates. This is way off-topic but last weekend I noticed a decent quality clip of 'She Was Hot' by the Rolling Stones (can be adjusted from 360p up to 720p HD) was uploaded to YouTube a couple of months ago. I recall Jools Holland introducing the TV premiere of this risque promotional video on The Tube 29 years ago this month in which a mature redhead in a red dress "magically" appears in Jagger's - then Richard's bedrooms and later taunts each band member in turn when she joins them onstage. Some people reckon it's "cheesy" but I think the special effects are spectacular; I once read it described as 'a sexual Alice in Wonderland' and for my money it is one of the most memorable, fast-moving and entertaining videos of the eighties. The scene in the cinema where the guy's trouser fly pops open is near the knuckle and may have been edited out for the TV show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQh8oh0rj3s
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shanders wrote: »
    Devil's advocaat
    I love a Christmas snowball!!!

Should have used the spell checker on that one!

Try again, ahem....Devil's Advocate. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    'You Light Up My Life''s failure to impact on the British charts is mirrored by the failure of UK Xmas number 1 'Mull Of Kintyre' to make any headway in the US charts.

I'm still amazed nobody has tried to have a hit with 'You Light Up My Life' here. Unfortunately, it now has 'X Factor cover' written all over it ... :eek::rolleyes:;)

The Debby Boone, You Light Up My Life spent a massive 10 weeks as the US No1, whilst it flopped to 48 here, while Wings had 9 long weeks at No1 here and an utter failure in the whole of North America, with the lesser known side Girl's School limping to No33 on it's own right, and Mull Of Kintyre getting a glancing No45 showing on the US easy listening chart! Both at the same time each side of the pond. Incredible.

Just shows, that the UK and the US are definitely 2 very different nations, starkly illustrated in late 1977 by this quite remarkable difference, especially as Paul was one of the Beatles and Wings had US No1 hits earlier in the 1970's.

How Debby Boone managed to hold the US No1 spot for 10 long weeks in 1977, which was a year in the States when an awful lot of tracks spent a single week on top somewhat mystifies me, as the song is nothing that special, unless there was a particular circumstance surrounding it that lead to it's long success.

Oh, and Servalan, don't go giving Cowell any ideas! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rumours a rather famous singer is soon to be arrested. Could create problems for re-runs that dwarf Savile or DLT's ramifications.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/290220226304413698/photo/1

Only if that singer had a few hits in 1978, which rules out quite a few people at least. Now this sleazy paper is going to start a whole new guessing game, or should I say witch hunt. :(
This discussion has been closed.