Options

Do political conferences influence the way you vote?

miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've recently been paying more attention to politics and the different political views held by different parties (well, I say different parties, I've only looked [so far] at Labour and Conservative). I think last time I voted Liberal Democrat (more fool me!) because I was young and I didn't really pay attention/understand politics (I will be the first to say I still don't really understand politics to this date, but I am trying!)

With everything that's going on recently (ISIS, welfare reforms, the economy, etc) I've been paying more attention to politics and am now starting to decide who to vote for next year (I won't lie, it's between Labour and Conservative).

I was going to vote Labour, because of their policies and their attitudes towards the poorer in society (my parents are both disabled and on benefits), and their attitudes towards the NHS. But, after seeing the Conservative conference yesterday, and David Cameron's stunning speech, I'm now not so sure.

I was bought up to believe that all parties are really the same side of the coin, and they're all out for themselves and don't care about society. Obviously this is a view that has stuck with me, and I don't believe 100% that the politicians and parties can keep their promises. But I think that the Conservatives have done an okay job so far in parliament.

So anyway, do conferences and speeches make a difference to you? Or are you firmly stuck in your ways and vote for one party, and one party only?

Comments

• Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Generally, they remind me not to vote.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I avoid watching them or their smug self-congratulatory speeches. They just confirm my beliefs about professional party politicians.
  • Options
    JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member
    No not really. All professional politicians are working for the rich and powerful who will win who ever is in office.

The Tories are unbeliavably cruel to the poor and the dispossessed and this latest conference has done nothing to make me change my opinion.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No...
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conferences are largely showboating. It depends on what each party believes, who they're standing up for and so on, against the background that 95% of politicians are shady and self-serving by definition, if not at the start of their careers, than certainly as they progress.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really. Conference season is a pantomime with nothing more than nice soundbites for the camera. The fact that leaders take to the podium to entrance music proves this.
  • Options
    miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really. Conference season is a pantomime with nothing more than nice soundbites for the camera. The fact that leaders take to the podium to entrance music proves this.
    BIB: Haha, yes. even though I thought Cameron's speech was great, I thought the music and entrance was so cheesy. And don't get me started on Miliband's music, who on earth chose that?! :blush:
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Political conferences, especially the last ones before the next election, are basically a barrage of attempts to grab votes with headline policies. However, very rarely do conference boasts make it into the election manifestos and even more rarely do they make it into actual changes that benefit anyone.

Me personally I don't fit into any "target demographic" that they fit headline policies around so overall i'm relatively unaffected by whoever is in power anyway.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usually I would say I the conference season has absolutely no influence on me whatsoever, but then previously I've had a pretty unshakable allegiance to a party.

This year, the Labour Conference underlined, emboldened and put in italics my belief that they are completely and utterly unfit for office, and that Miliband would be a complete disaster as PM. If a single DNA in me thought it might be tempted to give them the benefit of the doubt, it was comprehensively extinguished by their farce of a conference.

I had reached an accommodation with my conscience that I would vote Tory for the first time in my life, then Cameron goes and makes a dick of himself with ludicrous tax cut promises. And we get the rare annual glimpse of the party at large.

What a poverty of choice.
  • Options
    The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 33 and have never voted because all the 3 main parties are the same old crap.
    Will be voting for UKIP next year as my first vote.
    Conferences are a total waste of money.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I find them all off-putting.

They come across as a bit echo-chmaberish, with a bunch smiley faces clapping along and nodding their heads, all congratulating themselves as to how correct their choice of party and policy is. They tend to all look a bit smug to me.

Edit: Hadn't read the replies before typing one of my own. Looks like I think almost the exact same way as alan29 on this issue.