Is DYNAMO the magician some sort of freak of nature?

Comments

• Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neda_Turk wrote: »
    Seriously?

Seriously seriously seriously?

You buy a book or a trick from your local magic shop and then preform it!

Being "Clever" does not come into it as it is not a test of intelligence you simply have to learn such stuff. (Which anyone is capable of doing - However, performance helps if you have a talent for it.

Or even perform it:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    Best trick he could perform is to make all the Adidas product placement disappear. That would impress me.

or Chris Tarrant to disappear :D
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's excellent, always enjoy watching him. And yes, he's not from our world, he's from Bradford ;)
  • xmel05xmel05 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    He has really nice eyes
  • Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member
    :D without smashing it though :p

Oh. I didn't manage that, in fact I still have the scars to prove I didn't some 15 years later. :p
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw him sitting outside a cafe today. The next time I looked he had disappeared.:D true story:D
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    he's the guy that walks on water :cool:
    He's the guy who walks on clear perspex just under the water.
  • PrincessChloePrincessChloe Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    Magic trick book.

I met Dynamo at a student union bar about 6 years ago and he did some really basic magic on me he took an object off me and passed it through a whole deck of cards, coyly said his name was Dynamo and body popped away across the dance floor into the dark, pretty basic stuff. Obviously he has been swatting up on the magic books since then because the stuff he does on TV now is mind blowing.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obviously he has been swatting up on the magic books since then because the stuff he does on TV now is mind blowing.

Though on TV you have the benefit of camera tricks and editing that you don't get in real life!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    Dynamo's alright. Its easy to spot most magicians' tricks with SkyPlus slowmo. But he's so dull, he's borderline Blaine personality-wise....slightly more smily though.

My ultimate fave magician is Pete Firman, you can drive a bus through the holes in is tricks but he's so entertaining and that's what counts. The Magic Dragon's a decent one too.

Saying all that, though, if anyone approached me in the street and did their magic at me at normal speed I would be impressed.
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately he seems to have studied at the Criss Angel school of camera trickery.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    He's the guy who walks on clear perspex just under the water.

oh,you ruined it, i beileved it too :D
  • Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dynamo is meh, Penn & Teller on the other hand are awesome
  • Neda_TurkNeda_Turk Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Best trick he could perform is to make all the Adidas product placement disappear. That would impress me.

Why they are paying him £1000s to have it there!

Only a fool would turn down someone giving them money to wear the kind of stuff that they like anyway and get them for free as well!
  • Neda_TurkNeda_Turk Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Steve35 wrote: »
    Or even perform it:D

No it's a self assembly trick so you have to preform it before performing it! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loopzilla wrote: »
    Dynamo's alright. Its easy to spot most magicians' tricks with SkyPlus slowmo. But he's so dull, he's borderline Blaine personality-wise....slightly more smily though.

My ultimate fave magician is Pete Firman, you can drive a bus through the holes in is tricks but he's so entertaining and that's what counts. The Magic Dragon's a decent one too.

Saying all that, though, if anyone approached me in the street and did their magic at me at normal speed I would be impressed.

Dynamo is the British Angel/Blaine. Some 'big' camera stunts and then off the shelf tricks with some good sleight of hand thrown in.

Saw Pete Firman and Piff the Magic Dragon at the Edinburgh Fringe last year. Both great fun although Piff's show (or John van der Put as he is known when not in a dragon) was very basic magic...a bit of a shame as he was last year Magic Circle Magician of the Year and I would have liked to have seen some of his good stuff....i.e. like the trick he did on Penn & Teller last year which was beautiful. Although Mr Piffle's is seriously cute and Piff's community service assistant was <drool>.

They both did the disappearing/reappearing note trick as did Paul Daniels...must be the equivalent of the comedians knob gag- every comedian has to do one and every magician has to do a disappearing reappearing note trick.

Dynamo's walking on water trick was essentially like Angel's walking on water trick...they just had to set it up more subtley being in front of the Houses of Parliament but even then who is going to notice a few boats in the Thames with blokes hanging off the sides putting things into the water?

A nice illusion though...I just find the hype surrounding such things drops it down a few pegs...I'd rather it was just done as an illusion...I really don;t like magicians who hype up stuff before they have done it...just do it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    alfster wrote: »
    Dynamo's walking on water trick was essentially like Angel's walking on water trick...they just had to set it up more subtley being in front of the Houses of Parliament but even then who is going to notice a few boats in the Thames with blokes hanging off the sides putting things into the water?

To be honest, even if I had the safety of a perspex sheet underneath me, I'd still freak out if I had to stand in the middle of the Thames. Thats probably why he had the mock arrest set up.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sorry but why does that worry you?
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He walked though a glass window.... How? HOW!!??

I remember that one from a few months ago. Despite the heat (as evidenced by how the people outside were dressed) there were two tall men in big overcoats by the window. He went behind them, and through the open door (which was out of camera shot).

Most of his tricks are done via stooges and film editing, in my opinion. Where sleight of hand is needed, he's not very good.
    Criss Angel does similar things.

Even more obviously relying on stooges, cameras and dummies than dynamo.
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will some of the people he does it on be stooges as well? Like that tan line girl?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I remember that one from a few months ago. Despite the heat (as evidenced by how the people outside were dressed) there were two tall men in big overcoats by the window. He went behind them, and through the open door (which was out of camera shot).

Most of his tricks are done via stooges and film editing, in my opinion. Where sleight of hand is needed, he's not very good.

Even more obviously relying on stooges, cameras and dummies than dynamo.
    That one was on earlier. I said the same thing about the blokes in big coats and being by the door. The people outside made sure attention was paid to the spot he was supposed to emerge from by gawping open mouthed at it. :D When a magician doesn't use stooges or set ups they usually ram that fact down your throat before and during the show. He doesn't. Also as an aside I can't believe that people really fell for the tattoo trick (lady had a tattoo of a woman winking and he changed it so that her eye was open) or they went along with it. The make-up was so obvious (and badly applied!) :p
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,185
    Forum Member
    Jaymitch1 wrote: »
    seriously, how does he do the things he does?
    he literrally appears able to read peoples minds.
    and i have just seen him on tv showing a 'trick' to natalie umbrelia. he made all the fake butterflies on the wall come to life and fly around the room.
    :confused:

is anyone clever enough to work out how he does this stuff?

All these new-wave magicians seem amazing when you first see them. Then once there's been an edition of "Magic's Greatest Secrets Revealed", the tricks then seem obvious and dull. Most are a lot simpler than you think, although some (e.g. David Blaine's trick which changes the time on somebody's watch) are very elaborate mechanically. Sadly, some use stooges even when the magician has, more or less, said (or at least implied) that he doesn't use them. Others (e.g. Derren Brown's Lotttery trick) use camera tricks when, once again, the magician has lead you to think he doesn't use such techniques.

A common thing is for a magician to declare "I'm not using camera tricks" and/or "using stooges" on a trick-by-trick basis as they apply. This leaves the viewer thinking the magician has made a more generic denial of these "cheats" across *all* their tricks.

To me, both camera/editing tricks and stooges are out. If you have used them ever, you have failed as a magician.

So, yes, David Copperfield, when you made the Statue of Liberty and a Cessna Aeroplane "disappear" by putting the whole lot on a rotating platform and having two-dozen stooges feign being amazed - the trick's on you, you prat.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did a quick google and found a forum thread where someone says they recognise several of the "members of the public" from stage school, and actually knows the "policeman" who arrested him on the thames (also an actor). I've seen a couple of epsiodes and it's obviously stooged and edited to death!
  • iannaiiannai Posts: 4,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're prepared to suspend your disbelief and take it for what it is, then it's just entertainment, pure and simple. We all know that there is some trick going on - no-one really believes that magic is happening.

If you like that sort of thing then you will be entertained. Personally, I can leave it but that doesn't mean others can't enjoy it.
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    Will some of the people he does it on be stooges as well? Like that tan line girl?

That was a really good trick.

Have no idea how he did that.

And actually, I dont want to know! I just enjoy it all.