Have you been to Rhodes, Greece???

FCUKFCUK Posts: 1,258
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So im going away to Greece for the first time, however i feel i have booked the holiday during the wrong month, i go the 4th May. I dont know wherever the weather will be warm. I likeheat but didn't wanna spend nearly double for going in July or August. I wish i had booked it for June, or alot later in May. Have any of you been to Rhodes at that time of year??? Do you think the weather would be warm?? I've been to many places but have always gone June or September, so i hope i picked an ok time.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FCUK wrote: »
    So im going away to Greece for the first time, however i feel i have booked the holiday during the wrong month, i go the 4th May. I dont know wherever the weather will be warm. I likeheat but didn't wanna spend nearly double for going in July or August. I wish i had booked it for June, or alot later in May. Have any of you been to Rhodes at that time of year??? Do you think the weather would be warm?? I've been to many places but have always gone June or September, so i hope i picked an ok time.

Yes. Stayed in Rhodes Old Town. Hired a car, and spent two weeks driving around all over the Island. Don't worry, the weather will be warm alright..
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been to Rhodes a few times but never as early as May.
    I have been to Crete at the end of May and the weather was a little mixed and we did have some really overcast days. having said that we also had some really sunny days.

If you are planning a beach or pool holiday on Rhodes in May you may be a little disappointed.
    If you are planning to explore you will feel much more comfortable in May than trying to explore in July,August or September.
    There is so much to see on Rhodes, it's is one if not favourite Greek Islands.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    We went to Rhodes twice last year. Both times to a resort called Pefkos. Its lovely. Plenty of pool bars, tavernas and the people are fab. The beach is nice and sandy and stretches for miles!

Its about 15mins away from the an old town called Lindos where we may be getting married next year :D Old Rhodes town is fab as well if you like history.

In June this year we are having a change and going to Elounda in Crete but then in October going back to Pefkos.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • FCUKFCUK Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well where we are staying is right on the beach, place called Kalithea. The hotel/resort is called Aldemar Paradise Mare and its situated right on the beach. I gathered Greece, Rhodes would most definitely be warm if not hot. Like i said we've always been away September time, but this year went for May. The averagetemp for May is 23, which isn't that hot at all. Oh gosh, please be warm!!!!
  • doogie1970doogie1970 Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to Crete for 10 days at the end of April/beginning of May a couple of years ago.

It was pleasant and warmish (17-21 degrees), although it was actually considerably hotter in the UK at the time!

September would be much warmer.
  • SmallalienSmallalien Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to Rhodes in September and it was absolutely blistering hot. May will be warm, possibly a little more pleasant as my husband found the heat in September too difficult to deal with, July and August would be even worse!
  • wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    We went to Rhodes twice last year. Both times to a resort called Pefkos. Its lovely. Plenty of pool bars, tavernas and the people are fab. The beach is nice and sandy and stretches for miles!

Its about 15mins away from the an old town called Lindos where we may be getting married next year :D Old Rhodes town is fab as well if you like history.

In June this year we are having a change and going to Elounda in Crete but then in October going back to Pefkos.

I've been going to Pefkos for the past 10 years.....wonderful resort, we have made many, many friends there both Greek, and English tourists that return there every year ! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rhodes town is lovely. Faliraki where I stayed is (or at least was about 10 years ago) an absolute dump (and I say that as someone who lives in Rotherham!)
    Forum Member
    wildhollie wrote: »
    I've been going to Pefkos for the past 10 years.....wonderful resort, we have made many, many friends there both Greek, and English tourists that return there every year ! :)

Yeah, its fab!

We stayed in Tzina in june, now called Lemon Tree and owned by Matina, then in October we stayed at Stella. Our fave places were Fuse Bar Too, Oasis at night with Kostas (The Bloody Foreigner) and his wife, Matina bar with Mark, Kelari, Flyers and many others. Not forgetting our very good friend Thanassis from Maria's Supermarket :D

Cant wait to go back in October. Love it. Getting all sad thinking about it now :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rhodes town is lovely. Faliraki where I stayed is (or at least was about 10 years ago) an absolute dump (and I say that as someone who lives in Rotherham!)

No, it still is. Went there just once, to see what it was like. Left very quickly. Funny thing is that just five miles further along, there is a stunning beach called Tsampika, that none of the Brits seem to know about. I say that because I went the bar to get a drink and the guy seemed really surprised that I was English. :)
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member

It's a bit early but should be ok. I personally wouldn't go before June.
    Forum Member
    Well where we are staying is right on the beach, place called Kalithea. The hotel/resort is called Aldemar Paradise Mare and its situated right on the beach. I gathered Greece, Rhodes would most definitely be warm if not hot. Like i said we've always been away September time, but this year went for May. The averagetemp for May is 23, which isn't that hot at all. Oh gosh, please be warm!!!!

You are very near Faliraki which is always worth visiting at least once.;)
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Have been to Lindos a couple of times.
    Stay well away from Faliraki. It really is a dive.
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Have been to Lindos a couple of times.
    Stay well away from Faliraki. It really is a dive.

Definitely is a dive but still worth a look to see how the other half live.
  • turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely love Rhodes, it's a lovely place. May is summer in Rhodes and the temperatures are mostly in the mid 20's.

It's not a massive island, but it's definitely worth hiring a car so you can do some exploring. We like lazing on the beach, but there are some places you won't want to miss. Lindos is a must, park on the outskirts and walk in. It's not far. The shops are great for browsing and there are lots of nice bars and restaurants to visit. Do go up to the Acropolis, I'm not that into Greek history but it's worth going just for the views. You can go up and come back by donkey, which is a complete scream. Each donkey is owned by a local and they earn their living doing these trips. They are very well cared for, as they provide the livelihoods for these people.

We also loved the tip of Rhodes where the two seas meet. You can swim in the Med on one side and the Agean on the other.

Rhodes Town is worth exploring for the history, the shops and the waterfront. We did two boat trips. One to Marmaris in Turkey, which was so worth it and one to Symi a small but beautiful Greek Island, again definitely worth it.

A lot of the well known beaches are on the side you are going, but the other side is worth visiting. The beaches are much quieter, and we found that the sunbeds were either free or much cheaper.

Rhodes is generally a peaceful place, with a very low crime rate, which is very appealing. You'll have a great time, I guarantee.
  • katywilkatywil Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we landed at rhodes during the night in the first week of May. when we got off the plane, i thought we were standing by the engines as it was so hot. we got to our room and the bed was made with just a sheet. it didnt need anything else. have fun. Rhodes is lovely. try the bus's. they are brilliant. :) i wish i was there now.
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I've been to Pefkos, though it was the beginning of June, we went for a wedding and they got married in Lindos. Lovely little place. We went June 4th and found it lovely and hot but sometimes cloudy.

Just take loads of mozzie stuff, I was very badly bitten on my last night there when I got complacent with the mozzie stuff AND I left the windows open at night. My legs were a right mess, they were covered in bites from my knees right down to my toes and i nbetween my toes too! It sorta has marred my lovely memories of that holiday cos all I think of now when I look back is mozzie bites.
    Forum Member
    jarryhack wrote: »
    I've been to Pefkos, though it was the beginning of June, we went for a wedding and they got married in Lindos. Lovely little place. We went June 4th and found it lovely and hot but sometimes cloudy.

Just take loads of mozzie stuff, I was very badly bitten on my last night there when I got complacent with the mozzie stuff AND I left the windows open at night. My legs were a right mess, they were covered in bites from my knees right down to my toes and i nbetween my toes too! It sorta has marred my lovely memories of that holiday cos all I think of now when I look back is mozzie bites.

Top Tip:- Get some Mozzie plugsfor the house. Work wonders :D
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rhodes was my favourite place I went to in Greece but it's more about history than dancing and drinking. Other people's mileage may vary.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,493
    Forum Member
    I love Rhodes- especially the old town of the city.

It's like walking around some of the best Northern Italian medieval towns- the same ambience and design. The people are incredibly friendly, too.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, admit it....
    Have you been to Rhodes, Greece???
    FCUK

How many of us glanced at that in the index as we passed and saw...

"Have you been f**ked in Rhodes, Greece"

:eek::eek::eek::eek:
  • FCUKFCUK Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the info guys. I've been away many times with my family and the last 2/3yrs i have been with mates. But this time i am going with my brother who isn't the massive partying type so we opted out of places like Zante or Crete. I dont mind partying at all but we made a compromise. I wanted a place where i can explore and have a good time in the evening and my brother wanted the same but just not over the top kinda partying lol which i can understand. Kalithea isn't a massive party town but they do have one place to go at night and thats the beach club/party which sounds a blast.

I once went to Italy in October and it was hitting the late 20's and reaching into mid 30's some days. The reason we picked May was cause my brothers passport was running out in November and you need 3 months on it dont you, so we decided to go May time that way he needn't bother renewing it til next time he goes. But once we payed the deposit the lady at First choice informed us that with Greece you needed 6 months, but this time we had picked May and literally booked all we needed was to pay it all off. We land back in the UK on 12th and his passport runs out November 11th. Bad timing i know lol. So he had to get his passport done anyhows, but had we known it was 6months for Greece we would have opted for middle June or early September.

Bad luck ey. As long as it's warm where i can walk around in tank tops and sandles and feel the nice warmth then i am good.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Op, Crete is only a "party destination" if you intentionally head for Malia with Club 18-30 or one of the budget tour companies :p I had a fantastic "wind down" holiday on Crete a few years back based only a couple of miles away in Stalis, a completely different paced town ;)
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We went to Lindos in August a few years back and it was the hottest place I've ever been in my life. We went to the Acropolis at 9.30am and, in the pictures, you can see sweat rolling down our faces and our hair stuck to our heads with the heat. It's a fabulous resort though. We stayed at the Lindos View Hotel at the top of the hill and it was a lovely hotel, though probably August wasn't the best time as it was rammed.

I've been to Crete in the late May half term week and the weather was glorious. Most days was around 28-30 but it went up to mid 30's a couple of times.