More torrent sites blocked?

Comments

• Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    If a bloke in a car pulls up and I can hear his speakers through the open window *thud thud thud*, should I be paying royalties for the crap he's listening to?

I'm certain I read on t'internet that the BPI wanted legislation that required everyone with an Mp4 device I.e iPod to have a license for the listening and possible broadcasting of music via earphones.
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm certain I read on t'internet that the BPI wanted legislation that required everyone with an Mp4 device I.e iPod to have a license for the listening and possible broadcasting of music via earphones.

Source?
    this doesnt make sense. Youre already paying for this 'license' by buying the music on itunes or wherever.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    Source?
    this doesnt make sense. Youre already paying for this 'license' by buying the music on itunes or wherever.

I read it on the Internet, which site and when I have no idea but ill try to find it.

I believe it's time the BPI were told to bugger off, if I owned a business and I had the radio playing then I'd refuse to pay their demands because the greedy gits have already been payed by the stations that play the music.
  • ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    howard h wrote: »

Shouldn't entertainment industries just accept that sites such as The Pirate Bay are, actually, free promotion sites for their output? If I ran Youtube I'd make a point of telling the likes of Armin Van Buuren "hey, if you want to promo your music and videos on here, that's ten grand, please".

I totally agree. Because that's exactly what they are, and the industry has clearly been benefiting from it. It show tremendous greed the fact that they refuse to acknowledge it.

Back in the 90s when i was a teen we didn't have much money, and when Nevermind came out there was literally one CD for the whole school. If that gentle soul, i still remember the guy perfectly, that actually bought it didn't share that Cd with the whole 2000 of us how would that benefited the band?
    Honestly i do not see the difference between what happened then or what happens now. It's still music , films etc etc simply being reproduced to get to a bigger audience.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    technoguy wrote: »
    It doesn't all go to adele, peter jackson and rupert murdoch. It goes to 100,000s of people right down to everyday folk on minimum wage jobs that work in warehouses, shops, cinemas,call centres etc. They all lose their jobs and their family's all suffer.

It feels nice to justify these crimes by imagining it only affects millionaires. But it has a knock on affect for millions of everyday peoples jobs.

If there was a "legal" way of watching this "illegal" content then I'm sure many people would signup for it. Of course some people will always want it for free but imagine the kind of money the the US networks could make by charging, say, $1 to see a guaranteed high quality HD version of an episode within hours of it being broadcast on US TV.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cooltv wrote: »
    I would like to watch the 1st episode of Game of Thrones because I have heard the series is good. It's not on Sky or Netflix so where could I get it from without using torrent sites? I don't want to buy the whole season on DVD because I might not like it after iv'e watched episode 1 and if that's the case it will be a waste of money. Any ideas?
    Try Blinkbox - £2 per episode, £18 per series.
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    because the greedy gits have already been payed by the stations that play the music.
    You know, my neighbour buys his milk in Tesco, and they have the gall to make ME pay for my milk as well? Isn't one person buying their milk enough for those greedy gits? :rolleyes:
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    Try Blinkbox - £2 per episode, £18 per series.

Hardly a bargain.
    It's £20 for the DVD box set on Amazon and you can sell that on ebay if you don't like it.
    or £1.99 here including postage
    http://www.cashgenerator.co.uk/action-adventure/game-of-thrones-season-1-dvd-boxset-dm470
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »
    Hardly a bargain.
    It's £20 for the DVD box set on Amazon and you can sell that on ebay if you don't like it.

Also, according to Blinkbox's T&Cs,
    We reserve the right to withdraw, take down or amend all or part of the blinkbox Services and all or part of the Digital Content at any time
    I don't know if would risk building up a collection only to have some of it disappear one day.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteveMcK wrote: »
    You know, my neighbour buys his milk in Tesco, and they have the gall to make ME pay for my milk as well? Isn't one person buying their milk enough for those greedy gits? :rolleyes:

It is pure greed wanting music listeners to pay for a licence. I'm glad they were told to sod off.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SteveMcK wrote: »

That analogy might work if your neighbour had bought his milk from Tesco, given you a glass of milk and Tesco then charged you for the glass glass of milk even though your neighbour had already paid for the bottle.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    If there was a "legal" way of watching this "illegal" content then I'm sure many people would signup for it.

Indeed, it is a matter of economics. As the Apple and Android models prove, apps and other goods at reasonable price ARE bought.

The music biz, cinema industry and some of the larger software manufactures simply will not sell their products at fair rates. Nor will they make them available in the forms the audience clearly requires.

If, for example, movies were available as soon as they were finished in a Rush Release Download Only format, as a good quality AVI sold at, let's say, £1.50 each, vast sums would be raised. The moguls would still be able to flog enhanced version on DVD and Blu-Ray, with extra content and so on, and peeps who prefer to view at the cinema would still do that.

So why won't the likes of Sony and Warners do this? The answer is sheer unrelenting greed, and an obsessive desire to screw every last penny out of every (potential) customer as often as possible. Is this 'just doing business' I don't think so.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The music biz, cinema industry and some of the larger software manufactures simply will not sell their products at fair rates. Nor will they make them available in the forms the audience clearly requires.

If they make unprotected high definition movies available to purchase at a decent price, copies will inevitably find their way onto the internet, but fair pricing might go some way offset that as it seems to have with music.

The real reason this will never happen is because if you own one unprotected high quality digital copy of a movie, you will never have to buy it again. You will be able to convert it to any format to watch on any device, and it will kill the cash cow called "planned obsolecence" that has been feeding the film industry since the invention of VHS.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Jittlov wrote: »
    If they make unprotected high definition movies available to purchase at a decent price, copies will inevitably find their way onto the internet, but fair pricing might go some way offset that.

Maybe maybe not. Apple has a very high quality product in Garage Band for iPad, which they sell for a couple of quid, but AFAIK it hasn't been pirated. Things tend to get copied, if buying them is prohibitively expensive and therefore beyond the means of many.
    The real reason this will never happen is because if you own one unprotected high quality digital copy of a movie, you will never have to buy it again.

Well, I can't speak for others, but personally I very rarely buy anything twice, just because it's in a more up to date format. However, I can honestly say that I've bought movies after seeing a less than totally legit copy, because I knew I liked them.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they make unprotected high definition movies available to purchase at a decent price, copies will inevitably find their way onto the internet, but fair pricing might go some way offset that as it seems to have with music.

The real reason this will never happen is because if you own one unprotected high quality digital copy of a movie, you will never have to buy it again. You will be able to convert it to any format to watch on any device, and it will kill the cash cow called "planned obsolecence" that has been feeding the film industry since the invention of VHS.

Thanfully the law is in the process of changing so that people can legally backup their cds/dvds to play on other devices. I have a number of devices that I like to watch films on, but I have only ever paid for 1 copy of the film & I will only ever pay for the film once. I don't upload any films that I purchase or backup. Digital copes of films held on my media center, are only for my own personal use to watch at home or copied to my tablet to watch on the move.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had to bring this thread back because something occurred to me the other day. The reason why the industry is on a serious mission now to get every illegal downloadable source for films shut down, is because of the popularity of fibre connections. Before you had to be patient, to a certain extent, but now, what with these super fast connections being installed, they know that people will be able to get films and what not in quick times. It seems such a coincidence how they're all of a sudden going after these websites that provide illegal content in one way or another. They never bothered much before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Had to bring this thread back because something occurred to me the other day. The reason why the industry is on a serious mission now to get every illegal downloadable source for films shut down, is because of the popularity of fibre connections. Before you had to be patient, to a certain extent, but now, what with these super fast connections being installed, they know that people will be able to get films and what not in quick times. It seems such a coincidence how they're all of a sudden going after these websites that provide illegal content in one way or another. They never bothered much before.

Are you sure? I'm sure they've been on piratebays back for years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you sure? I'm sure they've been on piratebays back for years.

I'm not saying they haven't went after sites, but only the ones that became very popular indeed! The Pirate Bay is an extremely popular torrent site. It was obviously going to attract the attention of the industry. Now though, they're going after every illegal downloadable source they can think of. It's the popularity of the fibre connections that's reason behind the industry's determination to shut them all down. The high upload speeds are making the industry very nervous indeed! They've only been like this since the popularity of these fibre connections. Before, they only went after torrent sites that became too popular, but now they're just going after every illegal source they can find. It's way too coincidental for it to be just a coincidence.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jon craig wrote: »
    Of course guys, another way around this problem is to actually go out and pay for music and movies instead of stealing them! Just a thought.....:rolleyes:

Not all torrents are illegal downloads:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJGM wrote: »
    Just a thought ... downloading music via torrents isn't stealing. No physical item has been removed without consent when
    you download any content (be it music or video) via torrents. It's unlawful copyright infringement, but not actual theft.

*high five*
  • liamhereliamhere Posts: 2,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have a torrent that is of my dead uncles music....am i pirate??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    liamhere wrote: »
    i have a torrent that is of my dead uncles music....am i pirate??

depends if the music is under copyright or not :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    depends if the music is under copyright or not :)

I would assume that copyright infringement won't include family members, only people who are not related to the family.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I would assume that copyright infringement won't include family members, only people who are not related to the family.
    you assume wrong. it relates to anyone who infringes copyright regardless. take the jackass family, no automatic right for one of them to do anything with the dead brothers music, or the most famous sisters music, without permission
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    you assume wrong. it relates to anyone who infringes copyright regardless. take the jackass family, no automatic right for one of them to do anything with the dead brothers music, or the most famous sisters music, without permission

I wasn't talking about altering anything, but downloading it. liamhere was talking about having a torrent of his dead uncle's music (probably just a made up example).