What is the most patronising thing that anyone has ever said to you?

Poppy99Poppy99 Posts: 271
Forum Member
I once had my hair cut and my boss's wife said, Oh, you have had your hair cut. You look just like Victoria Principal, only not quite as good looking of course. (I was blond and looked nothing like her.) same person said, Oh clever you. That skirt you are wearing makes you look like a size 8. Very clever purchase. I was 18 at the time and did not have it in me (then) to come back with a pithy retort.

Comments

• yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Ahh aren't you small, how cute' I'm 18 and just under 5'3, with my sister being 16 and 5'10
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At my old job, there was a very religious lady and when she found out I'm an atheist, she actually asked me where I get my morals from. After that, she spoke to me like I was the elephant in the room or something - almost out of pity, like I was dying of some incurable disease or something and her voice would always go more high pitched. She even, at one points, recommended I go see some sort of doctor (not a normal GP, but I can't remember the name now).
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was a young girl aged about 18 I used to work a couple of nights in a restaurant for extra money.
    One gentleman came in with his lady and went and sat on my row.
    I went to take his order, he asked if we had any Calamari on that day, I answered no politely.
    He then said to me "I bet you do not even know what it is, do you?"
    That is years ago now but I remember it well.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    People that have said to me 'do you know anything about computers', simply because of my age, as I ain't down with the hood or yoof these days.

It's good fun telling them more about PCs than they are ever likely to learn. Ownership rules, or should I say rools.

Get back to me when you know what a DLL is, how Dependency Walker works and what Side By Side assembly in Windows is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic-link_library
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dependency_Walker
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winsxs

And yes. I can edit the registry without screwing up Windows.

>cmd(.exe)
    >regedit(.exe)
    Sans brackets

Go in there at your own risk.

Other things. Do you know what a .msc file is for.

devmgmt.msc (Device Manager)
    diskmgmt.msc (Disk Management)
    etc.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Once upon a time we were trying to find leaks in water-mains and, to do so, we had to excavate the water-main pipes to install sensors on them and, because the pipes were thought to be leaky and fragile, we had to hand-dig 8ft down around each pipe.

So, we were stood in the bottom of this muddy pit, digging around this crusty old water pipe, outside a school in Blackpool in the pouring rain, when a bunch of school-kids started peering over the edge at us.
    Next thing, an adult appears, looks over the edge of the hole at us, and says "Y'see, kids. That's how you'll end up if you don't do your best at school".

>:(:(
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Once upon a time we were trying to find leaks in water-mains and, to do so, we had to excavate the water-main pipes to install sensors on them and, because the pipes were thought to be leaky and fragile, we had to hand-dig 8ft down around each pipe.

So, we were stood in the bottom of this muddy pit, digging around this crusty old water pipe, outside a school in Blackpool in the pouring rain, when a bunch of school-kids started peering over the edge at us.
    Next thing, an adult appears, looks over the edge of the hole at us, and says "Y'see, kids. That's how you'll end up if you don't do your best at school".

:D:D:D
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in a two bed council flat and I had a visitor once who as she was leaving said "you've managed to make your little flat lovely, well done you"!
  • Poppy99Poppy99 Posts: 271
    Forum Member

Now that is patronising. I seem to get patronised a lot even at my advanced age. I am small, female and blonde so I have had a lifetime of stupid comments. When I was in my 20s a colleague was talking to a few of us and was saying that somebody had circumnavigated the globe, at which point he broke off, looked in my direction and said helpfully, that means he went around the world. He was only a few years older than me, it was not as if I could blame his comments on an age gap think. I wanted to circumnavigate his throat with my hands.
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was talking in work a while back about how i didnt understand how a diver has time to do tucks and spins and the like before hitting the water (as if it was me id just have time to hit the water). A coworker said 'sure dont worry, you can do lots of things Olympic divers cant do'.
    I was mortified for her
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poppy99 wrote: »
    Now that is patronising. I seem to get patronised a lot even at my advanced age. I am small, female and blonde so I have had a lifetime of stupid comments. When I was in my 20s a colleague was talking to a few of us and was saying that somebody had circumnavigated the globe, at which point he broke off, looked in my direction and said helpfully, that means he went around the world. He was only a few years older than me, it was not as if I could blame his comments on an age gap think. I wanted to circumnavigate his throat with my hands.

So you wanted to move your hands around his entire throat? That would just make him think he was getting a massage.
  • puffenstuffpuffenstuff Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live on a council estate and was a stay at home mum for a while, one evening at a school parent evening, I was talking to the Head teacher about the importance of education and mentioned my science degree and he was incredulous like "you've got a degree!!" bit unsettling that he assumed from either my appearance or address and current status that I was uneducated.
  • karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get patronised all the time but I haven't the heart to have a go at people but the worse one that springs to mind is when I helped out a friend and then she offered to buy me lunch. I said no but she said she really wanted to go out, so we went to pizza hut. Just as she paid, she said "you're like a pauper compared to me aren't you?" I don't speak to her anymore.
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before I met my husband at least four men said to me that I had a lovely personality but if I lost some weight, I'd attract a man.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "You've lost weight, haven't you?"

When I clearly haven't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    When we moved to our house here we deicide to invite the neighbours over for food, since there are only 3 other houses within walking distance and all.

One of the guys (much older than us) started talking about mortgage deals. I simply said "We don't have one" and he felt the need to launch into a speech about how we're still young and if we work very hard we'll be able to get on the ladder someday and the different types of mortgages he advises bla bla bla.

My partners response of "Oh, we own the place, we just don't have a mortgage" shut him right up :)
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure if this actually counts as "patronising" but it seems to happen to me an awful lot and it sure as hell feels like I'm being patronised.....

I'll be in some kind of a meeting (either formal or informal) and somebody will come up with some obscure, vague, bullshit.
    They'll say something like "We're going to leverage the current event horizon to maximise our potential for object-oriented targeted solutions".

:confused:

I know the other people in the room aren't stupid and they know bullshit when they hear it so I'll look around the room, see the blank looks and say "Sorry, what'd you mean by that?"

And then somebody, who (I guess) is trying to be an arse-kisser, will pipe up with "Well, obviously, it means that we're going to maximise our potential for object-oriented targeted solutions by leveraging the current event horizon".

Yes, quite.
    Enjoy your brownie-points. >:(
  • patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Older female friend of my then boyfriend on meeting me.
    Her: 'How are you?'
    Me: 'Not too bad'.
    Her: 'You're not not too bad - you're either good or your bad; what an inane expression.'

Wagon.
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »
    At my old job, there was a very religious lady and when she found out I'm an atheist, she actually asked me where I get my morals from. After that, she spoke to me like I was the elephant in the room or something - almost out of pity, like I was dying of some incurable disease or something and her voice would always go more high pitched. She even, at one points, recommended I go see some sort of doctor (not a normal GP, but I can't remember the name now).

Yes there was a 'Born again Christian' where I worked and as a strict Atheist we locked horns on many an occasions. I found out that he had said behind my back "Oh I do hope that 'Jesse' finds Jesus soon, it will be so much better for him when he does." - Like it was the only end result and that there was something wrong with me that would be fixed when I found Jesus.

I almost punched him! >:(
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

For some reason that one got to me. I have three degrees but am absolutely useless with anything practical. The world as we know it wouldn't operate without our plumbers, electricians, service workers and so on so all these smug, 'learned' types want to hush their mouths when they think of a world without their creature comforts. My dad was a wood machinist and my mum a secretary, then ward housekeeper at a local hospital. I was proud of what they did. Hope this doesn't come across as patronising!!! :D

I often get the pats on the head and patronising comments about being small because I'm only 4ft 7/8 but most of it goes right over my head, tbh. I'm 44 and every time someone says it, they think they're being highly original.

The most patronising thing I've heard in recent times was when a bloke did some tiling in my flat. It looked like crazy paving. When he'd 'finished', I said 'Um, is that it?' His words "Oh don't worry, love. It'll settle down!". I just burst out laughing.
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    I'll be in some kind of a meeting (either formal or informal) and somebody will come up with some obscure, vague, bullshit.
    They'll say something like "We're going to leverage the current event horizon to maximise our potential for object-oriented targeted solutions".(

Patronise them back: "Yes, dear. Very nice, dear. Now what is that in Klingon as it made F**k All sense in English!"

And over do the swearing part as that is one time where it works as an emphasise.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I wouldn't class climate change denial as a conspiracy theory. I would class it as being completely clueless about how science works, how it reaches it's conclusions and why it is that we can trust it."

This, said just now in the conspiracy theory thread!
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had a few people who have admired things I have knitted. They've then asked me to knit one for them because "I'm so busy I wouldn't have time to sit and knit." That always gets my goat because they just make out they are so busy, busy, busy. >:( and imagine I sit here knitting all day.
  • los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    I read a lot of books on a lot of different subjects. I have a friend who got into women's rights Vs religion and asked for a few recommendations for documentaries she could watch on line. I didn't have any she hadn't seen, so I lent her a copy of the graphic novel Persepolis, which she gave back the next day saying it was 'Too wordy' for her. Shortly after that 50 Shades of Grey was released, and she read it. Afterwards, she told me it was a must-read and she'd lend it to me. I sort of laughed and said I didn't think it would be my sort of thing and she sighed loudly, rolled her eyes at me and said: "Honestly, you should read more. It would open your mind."
  • NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to work at a Builders Merchant in the sales office.

For the first few years I'd answer the phone & some builders would say things like 'I aint bein' funny love but can you put me on to one of the blokes to give me prices cos they'll know what I mean'

Drove me crazy as I was very good at my job & yes, 99.9 times out of 100 I did know what they meant.

I used to reply with 'well I can do, but they'll just have to pass you back to me for your price so shall we just try this with us first?'

By the time I left I had a huge client base who would only use me :D

Another thing I used to get is when customers would praise me on the phone, one of my male colleagues on being told that I was being praised for being good at my job, would comment with surprise '...really? And was he being serious?' >:(

I left because I was headhunted by a Construction Company for my knowledge & skills, and I now have my ex colleague who used to profess complete shock that I was actually good at my job as my lackey when I need pricing done, which really is the best revenge of all :D
  • humbug333humbug333 Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before my second marriage my cousin announced to a room full of my family and friends that he will not be attending the wedding. He will go to the next one..