Hollyoaks - how do you watch it?

KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi everyone,

I don't watch Hollyoaks at all these days, my high point was around 2005/2006 and I slowly tailed off from there.

Having just read the ratings round up from last night, I was surprised to see that the Channel 4 airing at 6:30 pm and the E4 'first look' have a similar number of viewers. Is this always the case? It's really got me wondering about the way that viewers watch Hollyoaks.

Do you watch at 6:30 pm, then watch the E4 'first look' and then watch the repeat of the E4 first look again the following day before watching the next 'first look' episode?

Is there a definite split between viewers who only watch the 6:30 pm airing and those who watch the 'first look'? If you watch one, do you never watch the other?

I feel like I've entered some sort of wormhole.

Any answers most welcome!

Comments

• priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watch it on E4 pace, if I've missed it E4 pace then I would watch it at 6:30 the following day. I think there is a split some watch it like me and others who watch it at 6:30. Also EDs clashes with E4 pace so I'm guessing those who watch both don't watch Oaks on E4.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watch it on E4 First Look. If I miss it, it's recorded on my Sky+ Box. Only if my Sky+ fails to record it do I watch/record the C4 episode at 6:30pm.
  • kjg1995kjg1995 Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    I watch it on E4 and have it series linked so if I miss the episode then I'll watch the recording so very rarely watch the C4 episode.

The E4 episode is good because with Hollyoaks being teatime rather than primetime then people who have come home from work may not be ready to watch it at 6:30 so watch it at 7. Of course there are people who watch both time slots even though theyve already seen the ep but I'd say the majority of viewers would be different. A lot of people I know end up watching it on 4od later on again, would be interesting to see how watch Hollyoaks is on 4od to add to the total episode viewership.
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I usually watch or record the E4 episode at 7pm. If this is unfeasible I make do with the C4 episode at 6.30 then "double them up" when convenient over the following few days.
  • Teabag84Teabag84 Posts: 2,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watch on E4, although sometimes that means recording it. I'm currently 5 E4 episodes behind but I only ever record from E4. It would frustrate me to watch C4 and know I could see the next episode on E4 so I just don't bother.
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    I generally watch the E4 7pm showing as it is about the time I get home too late for 6.30 and I know I can see Emmerdale on the breakfast repeat as I get ready for work. If I do miss Hollyoaks I catch up with the Sat/Sun 3am repeat as I tend to be awake at that time over the weekend.

Back when it started I was a Sunday morning omnibus fryup for hangover girl.
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With self loathing.
  • LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The teens in my house watch it at 6:30 then watch the next days one on e4 straight after then watch it again next day at 6:30 - never understand that!! It's going round and round in circles and have channel four never considered maybe if they dropped the preview ep the first viewing may actually get more ratings??:confused:
  • Teabag84Teabag84 Posts: 2,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    I generally watch the E4 7pm showing as it is about the time I get home too late for 6.30 and I know I can see Emmerdale on the breakfast repeat as I get ready for work. If I do miss Hollyoaks I catch up with the Sat/Sun 3am repeat as I tend to be awake at that time over the weekend.

Back when it started I was a Sunday morning omnibus fryup for hangover girl.

Those were the days! I remember being on the sofa with a duvet and my best mate watching it!
  • nojunkmailnojunkmail Posts: 1,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watch the Omnibus every Sunday. Great hangover TV.
  • SamL94SamL94 Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    I watch each episode twice.

I watch the episode on C4 at 18:30. Then, I will watch the E4 episode at 19:00. Then, the next day, I will watch the C4 episode at 18:30 (so the episode I watched the night before) and then the E4 episode. Though usually I will have my dinner some time between 18:30 and 19:00, so will miss the C4 episode. And sometimes I go on the computer at that time, and just have the episode on in the background.

But I always watch the E4 epiosde (unless I am out or something).

(And yes, I do realise that I said the word 'episode' a bit too much in that paragraph :D)
  • xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    It is too tempting watching it the day before especially seeing Mondays episode before the weekend.
    I record it on e4 and watch it later on the night.
  • LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Teabag84 wrote: »
    Those were the days! I remember being on the sofa with a duvet and my best mate watching it!

Don't they do the Sunday omnibus no more?
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4 before I drink cups of tea
  • RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like to watch two episodes in a row so I usually (not always) watch both episode on alternate days if that makes sense. So I'll watch both on Monday, Wednesday and Friday ect
  • hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watch it at 7pm on E4. I'll watch it at 6.30 if I miss the first look though.

Back in around 2004 I would watch it at 6.30pm but then E4 launched on Freeview and I watched it at 8pm on E4+1 instead until 2010 when I stopped watching Emmerdale at 7pm.

I also watch the Omnibus on E4, but it used to be on Channel 4 during T4.
  • EastenderstreetEastenderstreet Posts: 3,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always watch at E4 pace however when I'm away in college I just put all the e4 episodes on record on watch them together at the weekend when I'm home
    Forum Member
    Leeah wrote: »
    Don't they do the Sunday omnibus no more?

They probably do - in fact I'm sure they do but it's not quite the same as when it was the only time to see it at the weekend and also about the only entertainment prog on - remember this was back in the days of only 4. Channels and the other 3 were Politics, Religion or Farming on a Sunday morning.

Also personally for me, it was a time in my life in my mid 20s when i'd go out very late on a Sat night and then want 'bubblegum' tv to ease into Sunday. I'm now early 40s and have different stuff to do at the weekend so my my social and viewing habits have changed.
    Forum Member
    Teabag84 wrote: »

Good times hey? I used to sometimes curl up under the duvet but more often i'd put the kitchen tele on and cook and then eat the fry up - then go back to bed bloated for a nap before waking for the EE omnibus at 2pm!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    I record at E4 pace so I can fast forward anything to do with gangster crap, Sinead and the Roscoes. I imagine I've only managed to watch 5 minutes of each episode this year by that method :D I used to watch the omnibus when it was on C4 Sunday mornings too.
  • NeomysterioNeomysterio Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tend to watch on E4 with a nice cup of coffee. :D
  • NicoleRichNicoleRich Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I record e4 and watch later when i get home
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watch it on E4 pace; if I miss an episode I watch it on C4 the next day and follow up with the E4.
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    I sky plus both and watch when I get in :)
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watch at E4 pace but if I miss an episode I catch up on C4