My son has just been diagnosed with IBS

2»

Comments

• urbancoyoteurbancoyote Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    charlie1 wrote: »
    I've just come back from work, so apologies for not replying sooner to the fantastic advice that has been shared by all. :) xx

The doctor did say my son has IBS, but that he has to have additional blood tests as well as a stool sample.

Id be highly sceptical about this being 100% accurate until the tests are back.
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had IBS and other gastric problems. They have gone since I stopped eating grain, sugar and processed food of any kind.

I did start the process by taking apple cider vinegar in a little water with bicarb, and that stopped a lot of the gastric problems. and they have not come back since I changed my diet to a clean one.

I also took water kefir ( made my own) to help my gut bacteria get back to normal healthiness.

But you son needs a proper diagnoses as a GP cannot diagnose anything without proper tests and surprised they did really.

Good luck with everything and if you cook for him, cook everything from scratch so you know what is going into his belly x
  • charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Id be highly sceptical about this being 100% accurate until the tests are back.

I'm so worried now. I'm in tears thinking the worse because of our friend dying.
    I just want him to be ok, as he has it so tough mentally as well.
  • 4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At such a young age the chances of him having cancer are unlikely. He doesn't have the symptoms either, which including passing blood in the stools.

It's right that he should be completely checked out, as there are other much less serious conditions which could be treated.

From what you've said it seems highly likely that he does have IBS. I strongly advise he tries eliminating certain foods from his diet to see if that helps. The most usual culprit is lactose, found in all dairy products.

If he gives all dairy a miss for a few days it won't harm him and he'll soon know if it helps. He has nothing to lose by trying the dietary route.

There's no point me telling you not to worry. I can see you are extremely worried, but try and focus on one day at a time. He's been referred, he's being seen, he's getting sorted. x
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4smiffy wrote: »
    At such a young age the chances of him having cancer are unlikely. He doesn't have the symptoms either, which including passing blood in the stools.

It's right that he should be completely checked out, as there are other much less serious conditions which could be treated.

From what you've said it seems highly likely that he does have IBS. I strongly advise he tries eliminating certain foods from his diet to see if that helps. The most usual culprit is lactose, found in all dairy products.

If he gives all dairy a miss for a few days it won't harm him and he'll soon know if it helps. He has nothing to lose by trying the dietary route.

There's no point me telling you not to worry. I can see you are extremely worried, but try and focus on one day at a time. He's been referred, he's being seen, he's getting sorted. x

Thanks smiffy and peanut. :)
    I've calmed down a bit now. Yes, I've told my son that we should keep a food diary. Also I've read that pro-biotic yoghurt is good for the symptoms. He likes his coke, so he's going to cut down on that and drink Evian instead.
    He doesn't really eat or drink any dairy products, so he might, if I word this right, have wheat intolerance?
    I'm still going to worry until we get the results. But I won't let him or his brother know that.
    Thanks again. xxx
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've calmed down a bit now. Yes, I've told my son that we should keep a food diary. Also I've read that pro-biotic yoghurt is good for the symptoms. He likes his coke, so he's going to cut down on that and drink Evian instead.
    He doesn't really eat or drink any dairy products, so he might, if I word this right, have wheat intolerance?
    I'm still going to worry until we get the results. But I won't let him or his brother know that.
    Thanks again. xxx

I am fine with dairy but not with grain.

Water kefir is very good for sorting the gut out. As is ACV and barcarb of soda . I make my water Kefir with coconut water or mineral water with fruit slices in to flavour it.

That worked for me as well as eating clean. I'm sure you will work out what is doing it, and for most of us its easy sorted ( if its food causing it) but its a lifetime commitment. I have tried eating grain and sugar and it was like I was hit by a train, I was so ill after.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm so worried now. I'm in tears thinking the worse because of our friend dying.

You are a good supportive Dad and that will mean a lot to your son
    Together you will find answers and a way forward . Keep asking , keep informing yourselves , keep seeking and you will find the help
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Coke (and all fizzy drinks) can be a real irritant to the gut so he should cut them out entirely for now.

There's not enough in a pro-biotic yoghurt to make a difference. He needs to take a probiotic capsule (Boots do digestive health ones) with at least 8 billion bacteria per dose.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not much I can add that others haven't. I hope this current attack as eased for him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    You are a good supportive Dad and that will mean a lot to your son
    Together you will find answers and a way forward . Keep asking , keep informing yourselves , keep seeking and you will find the help

I'm a mum, ducky. :)
    Thank you so much for your kind words. xx
  • Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    Coke (and all fizzy drinks) can be a real irritant to the gut so he should cut them out entirely for now.

There's not enough in a pro-biotic yoghurt to make a difference. He needs to take a probiotic capsule (Boots do digestive health ones) with at least 8 billion bacteria per dose.

To be honest i would wait to get bloods etc, before pushing probiotics yogurts etc, just incase he has issues with dairy like a lot of people do. The big ones are wheat and dairy, but you'll know more when bloods are back, I felt like I was on deaths door in the month before I got positive bloods back for coeliacs, I lost 20lbs in about 3-4 weeks, couldn't keep any food down/in, muscle aches, memory problems, migraines, confusion, horrendous stomach pains, nearly took myself to A&E on more than one occasion, I honestly thought I had something serious.

Just push for thorough testing, ensure everything's ruled out before the assumption of IBS is made, would be my best advice, it seems to be the 'cover all' for people with tummy issues. I wish someone had been able to tell me that, would have saved me years of being fobbed off, and damage I can't repair now. Best of luck.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »

Thanks claire, I'll buy them today.

And shelley, yes thankfully he's improved a bit, but he's exhausted.

Once again thanks everyone for being supportive, sharing your own experiences and ways that you've found to help your symptoms. xx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rae_Roo wrote: »
    To be honest i would wait to get bloods etc, before pushing probiotics yogurts etc, just incase he has issues with dairy like a lot of people do. The big ones are wheat and dairy, but you'll know more when bloods are back, I felt like I was on deaths door in the month before I got positive bloods back for coeliacs, I lost 20lbs in about 3-4 weeks, couldn't keep any food down/in, muscle aches, memory problems, migraines, confusion, horrendous stomach pains, nearly took myself to A&E on more than one occasion, I honestly thought I had something serious.

Just push for thorough testing, ensure everything's ruled out before the assumption of IBS is made, would be my best advice, it seems to be the 'cover all' for people with tummy issues. I wish someone had been able to tell me that, would have saved me years of being fobbed off, and damage I can't repair now. Best of luck.

I'm so sorry that you had to go through years of hell before a correct diagnosis was made.
    I hope you're ok now though. xx
  • Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so sorry that you had to go through years of hell before a correct diagnosis was made.
    I hope you're ok now though. xx

Cheers Charlie, the best thing is he's getting it addressed now, and hopefully all will be well! It is a worry, was at the time for my family, but will be a relief for him to get to the bottom of it, I'm sure!
  • VincentHVincentH Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    Try not to worry. Just had 2 months of fearing the worst after having gastritis, but now I've pinpointed the problem to dairy, which I thought was helping, but in fact was the root cause. Have switched to lactofree milk (which is surprisingly nice) and I now seem all OK.

Keeping a food diary is a good suggestion, and I'd try and change the diet to fruit/veg (apples and bananas work great for me) and non-processed meat.

It's horrible having stomach problems, but hopefully it's not as serious as it might seem. Hope it's all sorted soon.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a mum, ducky. :)
    Thank you so much for your kind words. xx

sorry charlie .I was only seeing the charlie !! You are a great mum and kids ( big or small ) always know that .It can be such a worry when our kids are ill ..But you will find answers and he willl get better
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot to mention that one of the things that helped me with any stomach ache/bloating were charcoal tablets. You can get them at most health food places.
  • urbancoyoteurbancoyote Posts: 208
    Forum Member

I still dont think there's a need to worry. There are several bowel conditions it could be...none of them life threatening.