Options

Ios 8

Comments

• Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Siri is only taking up 1% of my battery usage so don't think it will make much difference. I don't understand why mail is using 17% of my battery usage even though I don't use it.

Have you tried Siri hands free yet? It's so funny when you say, Hey Siri and it answers you, How may I help you today. :D

you can only go hands-free with siri if the phone is on mains power apparently. i know it might only take up 1% of use, but I don't necessarily think the power reporting is working properly anyway so it might actually use up more than it essentially lets on.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    you can only go hands-free with siri if the phone is on mains power apparently. i know it might only take up 1% of use, but I don't necessarily think the power reporting is working properly anyway so it might actually use up more than it essentially lets on.

I read that you will be able to use Siri hands free wirelessly when iOS 8 is officially launched.
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    Yeah, that was announced at WWDC.

And it works very well, I have been using it for a while now. Particularly useful in the car where I always have the phone connected to the charger.
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member

I guess the reason for the restriction is that for it to be always listening the phone has to be in a higher wake state than normal standby and it might severely limit the standby time. However, I would still prefer to have the option - although "we know best" is just the Apple way :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    I guess the reason for the restriction is that for it to be always listening the phone has to be in a higher wake state than normal standby and it might severely limit the standby time. However, I would still prefer to have the option - although "we know best" is just the Apple way :)

Let's wait and see when the official version is released.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is how "good" the battery is with beta 5

fully charged about an hour and half ago and just left the phone on the desk, untouched and unused.

just checked it and i've lost 16% battery with, apparently, 1 hour 38 minutes of use and 1 hour 51 minutes of standby !!

without even touching it !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    this is how "good" the battery is with beta 5

fully charged about an hour and half ago and just left the phone on the desk, untouched and unused.

just checked it and i've lost 16% battery with, apparently, 1 hour 38 minutes of use and 1 hour 51 minutes of standby !!

without even touching it !

Mine is not quite as bad as that. But it's definitely draining quicker than iOS7. You must have something running in the background draining your battery quicker than mine. I read online that beta 6 will be released today because Yosemite was released yesterday. So hopefully that will fix any battery issues.
  • Options
    allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

I'm an Apple Fanboy through and through, my soul belongs to Apple lol. I have mulitple Apple gadgets, iPhone, iPad, iMac and Apple TV.

A small part of me still thinks Apple has gone down hill some what since the passing of Steve Jobs. Anyone else feel the same?

Thanks

Baz

Yes! I do - (though I was more of a fanGIRL!) I've had everything Apple for years and was over the moon about the original iPhone but over the past 2 years I've seen more and more Android devices and been so impressed with what they could do, I've now gone over to the other side! I adore Android now and my ties with Apple seem to be gradually disappearing!
    I do think Steve Jobs seems to have made a big difference but I'm wondering if that was down to marketing. Apple are very savvy about selling their over-priced products.
    The look surely would have changed under Jobs but i also remember it was he who was so against Flash.
    It would take a lot to tempt me back to iPhones again - even though my family use them!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is not quite as bad as that. But it's definitely draining quicker than iOS7. You must have something running in the background draining your battery quicker than mine. I read online that beta 6 will be released today because Yosemite was released yesterday. So hopefully that will fix any battery issues.

I'm certainly hoping 6 is out today as I might have to go back to iOS 7 until 8 is official. it might possibly be more to do with my phone model than anything I suppose. can't be charging this much for the next few weeks as I'll likely end up trashing the battery
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried the new google app which has voice commands i would say it's very good and Siri has to up its game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like there's going to be no Beta 6, unless it leaks. Apple have seeded Beta 6 to carriers only, and not developers.

Looks like i'll have to go back to 7 for a bit - Apple's launch event is still another 3 weeks away and I honestly can't imagine charging twice a day for the next 3 weeks.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/08/19/ios-8-beta-6/
  • Options
    simon69csimon69c Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you installed iOS 8 did you set up as a new phone or restore from backup? The usual advice for the betas is to treat them and set them up as fresh installs in case there are funny settings in your backup that cause "funkiness" (technical term ;)), and battery drain can be a common symptom. Generally when the final build iOS goes live things should be better, but if you are experiencing particularly poor battery performance a fresh install can often help.

Out of interest did the iOS 8 battery usage breakdown shed any light on what was using so much power?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simon69c wrote: »
    When you installed iOS 8 did you set up as a new phone or restore from backup? The usual advice for the betas is to treat them and set them up as fresh installs in case there are funny settings in your backup that cause "funkiness" (technical term ;)), and battery drain can be a common symptom. Generally when the final build iOS goes live things should be better, but if you are experiencing particularly poor battery performance a fresh install can often help.

Out of interest did the iOS 8 battery usage breakdown shed any light on what was using so much power?

I literally just did it as a shift+update in iTunes over the top of the iOS7 installation and it worked perfectly.

Although saying that, as you've pointed out, this could well have been the cause of the battery draining. I'm currently re-charging again after charging fully this morning at 10am.

The battery breakdown always tells me the lions share of my usage is the dolphin browser, but when i deleted it and went back to safari, it told me that it was safari that was using upwards of 30-40% of the battery.

I'm tempted to maybe re-flash the phone and set it up as new I suppose - i'm reading a few forum posts now that seem to suggest that a new install does improve the situation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, just finished setting it up as new on Beta 5 (and spending god knows how long fiddling and fannying around with the settings to get them just right :)).

Unplugging at a full charge at 1:30am on the dot, so let's see ...

(although i'll likely be forever fiddling with the settings for at least another week :))
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allie4 wrote: »
    Yes! I do - (though I was more of a fanGIRL!) I've had everything Apple for years and was over the moon about the original iPhone but over the past 2 years I've seen more and more Android devices and been so impressed with what they could do, I've now gone over to the other side! I adore Android now and my ties with Apple seem to be gradually disappearing!
    I do think Steve Jobs seems to have made a big difference but I'm wondering if that was down to marketing. Apple are very savvy about selling their over-priced products.
    The look surely would have changed under Jobs but i also remember it was he who was so against Flash.
    It would take a lot to tempt me back to iPhones again - even though my family use them!

I think it's more to do with the fact that other companies have caught up. Also I think that for the moment mobiles have reached a plateau in terms of what they can do.

I was an Apple fan girl a few years ago and refused to even give android the time of day. I was convinced that it was rubbish. It was only by chance that I tried a Samsung galaxy after my iPhone was stolen. I only intended to use the phone for a month until I could upgrade to an iPhone, but then surprisingly I decided to upgrade to another Samsung galaxy phone and I haven't looked back since.

I still have an ipad, ipod and apple TV, but that's more top do with the lack of content (TV shows) in the play store. Once that's sorted I'd probably cut am tires with Apple.
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    I think it's more to do with the fact that other companies have caught up. Also I think that for the moment mobiles have reached a plateau in terms of what they can do.

I was an Apple fan girl a few years ago and refused to even give android the time of day. I was convinced that it was rubbish. It was only by chance that I tried a Samsung galaxy after my iPhone was stolen. I only intended to use the phone for a month until I could upgrade to an iPhone, but then surprisingly I decided to upgrade to another Samsung galaxy phone and I haven't looked back since.

I still have an ipad, ipod and apple TV, but that's more top do with the lack of content (TV shows) in the play store. Once that's sorted I'd probably cut am tires with Apple.

Interesting comment about the TV shows - do people still buy these from iTunes/Play with the low costs of things like Netflix and Amazon Prime Streaming ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well over 14 hours in and i'm showing 14 hours, 36 minutes as standby with 2 hours 31 minutes of use.

Dolphin is 37% use, Top Eleven is 14%, Home & Lock Screen is 14%.

and i have 16% battery left ..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charged again at 6pm, so 16 and a half hours after the last full charge with moderate to low usage. We'll see what happens with the next one - the first charge on the Beta is often hammered by the iCloud stuff setting up i suppose.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    Interesting comment about the TV shows - do people still buy these from iTunes/Play with the low costs of things like Netflix and Amazon Prime Streaming ?

I subscribe to both but they don't have a wide selection of TV shows either.
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    I subscribe to both but they don't have a wide selection of TV shows either.

are you UK based ? If so have you tried "Unblock-US" (or similar) for Netflix ?

Ive just always found buying TV shows overpriced when buying 'by episode'.
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    are you UK based ? If so have you tried "Unblock-US" (or similar) for Netflix ?

This.

With Unblock-Us you basically get everything there is on Sky Movies and TV series not long after they air on UK TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why i'm posting this here, but it seemed relevant considering my battery woes :)

Apparently, Apple are activating an iPhone 5 battery replacement program offering free replacement batteries as some iPhone 5's (which I have) may suddenly start experiencing poor battery life.
    As noted by the program's dedicated webpage, Apple discovered a "very small percentage" of iPhone 5 handsets may suffer from unexpectedly short battery life due to an unannounced issue presumably related to manufacturing.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/08/22/apple-activates-iphone-5-battery-replacement-program

I checked on their website and my phone is eligible for the program which suggests it's got one of the duff batteries ..

It apparently launches in the UK on the 29th, or thereabouts.
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    I don't know why i'm posting this here, but it seemed relevant considering my battery woes

My iPhone 5 is also eligible BUT my battery's only fault is an occasional tendency to turn off when there is still about 10% charge left! I wonder if it 's worth trying to get a swap anyway!

As it is only "some phones" which MAY Have this issue perhaps you can report how easy they are to convince it needs to be done:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    My iPhone 5 is also eligible BUT my battery's only fault is an occasional tendency to turn off when there is still about 10% charge left! I wonder if it 's worth trying to get a swap anyway!

As it is only "some phones" which MAY Have this issue perhaps you can report how easy they are to convince it needs to be done:D

Funny thing is, my phone does exactly the same when it comes to switching itself off when i've still got a good percentage of charge left.

I'm definitely going to enquire about it next week though - there's an apple store quite near me so i'll see what they say.
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    I don't know why i'm posting this here, but it seemed relevant considering my battery woes :)

Apparently, Apple are activating an iPhone 5 battery replacement program offering free replacement batteries as some iPhone 5's (which I have) may suddenly start experiencing poor battery life.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/08/22/apple-activates-iphone-5-battery-replacement-program

I checked on their website and my phone is eligible for the program which suggests it's got one of the duff batteries ..

Anyone had any success/problems in convincing Apple to replace their iPhone 5 if its serial number is in the batch where (only some!) may have battery problems?