Will ITV Anglia HD Ever Happen?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
Forum Member
If this has been discussed before I apologise, but was unable to find anything when I searched...

I was under the impression when Freeview HD launched in the Anglia Region (in my case from the Sandy Heath Transmitter), back in 2011 that the use of ITV Meridian HD was only a temporary measure for a few months and would soon switch to Anglia...

Were now three years in and still getting ITV Meridian HD!

I suppose to the majority of TV viewers, they really don't care much, but it really annoys me how we get local news and adverts focused on the South of England more than 150 miles away - which has absolutely no relevance!

What is the issue preventing us getting our own local version of ITV HD?! I know Anglia has always come across as a bit behind the times, but surely this issue can be resolved... Isn't ITV Anglia HD broadcast on Sky and FreeSat?

Comments

• BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't ITV Anglia HD broadcast on Sky and FreeSat?

No, it doesn't even exist. There are licences for another two ITV HD regions, Yorkshire and I think Wales, but they haven't even launched them yet so don't expect Anglia HD any time soon.
  • gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all down to cost. It's not cheap for ITV to make all regions HD. If they don't think there's any money to be made in having a regional HD variant for all then they're not going to do it. Simple as.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simple solution. Watch it in SD, then switch back to HD when it has finished.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it really hard to watch anglia news on my 50 inch TV its a lot better on my Iiyama Prolite X2783HSU.
  • figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never usually watch itv but did today and, being halfway between crystal palace and sandy heath, found it very odd that I was seeing the local weather for kent.
    I find it really hard to watch anglia news on my 50 inch TV its a lot better on my Iiyama Prolite X2783HSU.
    The meridian news was upscaled SD so not much better.
  • Dr.OliverTwichDr.OliverTwich Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only incentive for ITV to launch more HD variants is when the local advertisers notice the majority of target audiences can't see their adverts.... and that may take a very long time to happen.

Eventually there will be another DSO when DVB-T2 is mandated and all main channels could be HD if desired, but no guarantee even then I guess.

http://www.a516digital.com/2014/03/further-itv-hd-regions-added-to-freesat.html suggests that Anglia postcodes are supplied with Meridian output... $ky postcode allocation will be broadly the same.
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eventually there will be another DSO when DVB-T2 is mandated and all main channels could be HD if desired, but no guarantee even then .

If the receiving device is freeview HD compliant there is not need for any broadcaster and a PSB in particular dual illuminating so assume all PSB will be HD ... Even ch 5!!!
  • redcar1redcar1 Posts: 1,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only incentive for ITV to launch more HD variants is when the local advertisers notice the majority of target audiences can't see their adverts.... and that may take a very long time to happen.

Eventually there will be another DSO when DVB-T2 is mandated and all main channels could be HD if desired, but no guarantee even then I guess.

http://www.a516digital.com/2014/03/further-itv-hd-regions-added-to-freesat.html suggests that Anglia postcodes are supplied with Meridian output... $ky postcode allocation will be broadly the same.

Any reason for the $ in place of the S in Sky - ever increasing astronomical subscription rates perhaps - or maybe it's just a slip?

Anyway, back on subject, I note that the Beeb still can't do their local news in HD either (in the north-east that is). I'm not sure about ITV, but I guess if there's no Yorkshire HD Tyne Tees viewers must get Granada - I'll try to remember to check this tomorrow. I seem to remember that Tyne Tees viewers get Yorkshire (Calendar) news on ITV+1 for some reason!
  • BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redcar1 wrote: »
    I seem to remember that Tyne Tees viewers get Yorkshire (Calendar) news on ITV+1 for some reason!

That was the case when ITV+1 started, but there has been a separate ITV+1 Tyne Tees for some time now. As for ITV HD, yes the entire north of England currently gets the Granada version.
  • zandarzandar Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV are really dragging their feet over getting all regions in HD. Perhaps if we all write to local newspapers and inform that we are watching out of region ITV 1 HD and missing all local adverts, the local advertisers will cease taking advertising space and that will hit ITV in the pocket. (Some of the national advertisers are also missing their target audiences).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will cost Itv a lot of money .... Requiring renegotiation of playout with Ericsson which comes up for renewal in 2 years time ... And they could not afford 5.1 sound!
    Then Arqiva for DSAT code mux and up link , SES more transponders , and Atos fir DTT
    And Arqiva to monitor it.
    (BBC has similar issues - for play out read back haul opts from regions and Atos for DSAT )

Are they going to get any more money?

Turning off dual illumination saves money ... But itv are not supporting com7&8 .
    Unlike BBC and ch4
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, if it is so costly and such a big problem to provide ITV 1 HD all regions, what is the point of the shops promoting Ultra High Definition when the broadcasters can't (or won't) supply 'just' High Definition?
  • norhan_041092norhan_041092 Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Bahtat wrote: »
    That was the case when ITV+1 started, but there has been a separate ITV+1 Tyne Tees for some time now. As for ITV HD, yes the entire north of England currently gets the Granada version.

May I ask, is that true, even with in the Scottish borders region, where they have ITV Borders?
  • tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    zandar wrote: »
    Well, if it is so costly and such a big problem to provide ITV 1 HD all regions, what is the point of the shops promoting Ultra High Definition when the broadcasters can't (or won't) supply 'just' High Definition?

Exactly, a friend of mine has just recently purchased a 4K TV (Samsung UE40HU6900) and it cost the bast part of £800 :eek:
    He is seriously loaded but considering there is next to no 4K content yet commercially available it is an absolute waste of money!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

All TV manufacturers world wide are in financial difficulties .... Some mire than there they need to sell more TVs .. So they forced 3d ..... Which was ex suave to make and fir a lot f TV not that impressive etc ....
    And n any case we do not see depth stereoscopically much at all....

4k is another one
    Look how they have move from lines 1080 in HD
    To pixels and they. Have rounded up .... Uhd1 has 3840 pixels ..
    Film has more which are closer to 4000.... But there are 11 different cinema "4k"
    Depending on width lines etc...

The real broadcasters want to get right what was nit well done in HD ..
    Hence higher dynamic range, and Frame rate ... Both if which are obvious to see a long way away fro the screen .... And wider colour gamut ...
    Before and as well as how many pixels .....

But the TV set manufactures need money now!!!!
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Local Anglia News is not worth watching in SD so it is hardly likely to be available in the near future in HD. The same applies to BBC East— half an hour of unimportant parochial crud 9 days out of 10.
  • pete1pete1 Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Is there a date yet for switch off of SD services as duplication is a total waste of broadcast spectrum resources. The problem with the ITV services is that companies such as Granada are still throwing out their local programmes to unsuitable regions in HD and not providing regional editions to their HD regions. News of alien areas is as bad as the BBC 'unable' captions. No-one needs the news in HD when little video footage is in HD however the SD versions should be carried on the HD channels to save viewers having to switch.
    I end up only watch sports and travelogue type programmes in HD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is not Granada who are "throwing out" their service to unsuitable regions but the ITV bosses in London who have decided which areas get HD first. London, Granada & Central
    are in HD plus Ulster TV and the Glasgow version of Scottish TV.

What they have done is made the HD version of the nearest available region available. For example, ITV Wales is still in SD despite having brand new studios in Cardiff with (I understand) HD equipment. So, the nearest HD region to Wales is Central and that is what the Welsh receive whether from transmitters or satellite.

I can't see the point of SD versions of HD channels being beamed from satellite as virtually all satellite viewers (Sky or Freesat) will have HD equipment. Of course, ITV can't switch off SD versions of those areas that are not yet in HD. Neither can they switch off SD versions of ITV 2,3 & 4 from satellite because they refuse (having taken money from Sky), to make the HD versions of these channels available via Freesat. Of course, this is likely to mean that non paying viewers will be less inclined to watch ITV 2, 3 & 4 due to the inferior picture quality so they get lower ratings and therefore command less advertising revenue. So, ITV are happy to lose FTA viewers, pump out inferior pictures even of programmes shot in HD in order to put the HD versions behind a Sky/Virgin paywall. Sounds like they are shooting themselves in the foot! (Channel 5 have adopted the same policy of depriving the vast majority of viewers on Freeview and Freesat the HD version of their channel).

Broadcasters can't switch off SD versions from transmitters because so many televisions were sold (& are still sold) with non HD tuners. Many people thought that when they bought "HD Ready" televisions that they were future proof - little realising that they came with SD tuners but had the number of pixels in the screen to show HD if you PLUGGED IN AN EXTERNAL BOX with HD. It is only those televisions described as 'Freeview HD' that do indeed have the HD tuner built in with HD channels loading from 101+.
  • BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many people thought that when they bought "HD Ready" televisions that they were future proof - little realising that they came with SD tuners but had the number of pixels in the screen to show HD if you PLUGGED IN AN EXTERNAL BOX with HD. It is only those televisions described as 'Freeview HD' that do indeed have the HD tuner built in with HD channels loading from 101+.
    I was one of them. Needed a new TV about 4 years ago so 'HD Ready' is what I opted for.
    The picture quality is perfectly acceptable to me, although the programme content is a bit lacking at times (try finding something to watch live at 7a.m. on a Sunday morning).
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    For the record, ITV HD is set up according to which advertising macro region you belong to outside of London.

The northern advertising macro covers Border, Granada, Tyne Tees and Yorkshire. It is also sold to advertisers in smaller macros: Granada with Border and Yorkshire with Tyne Tees.

The apparent plan to launch ITV HD Yorkshire in the future will split northern England and the Borders reflecting the smaller macro ad regions.

Wales & West* and West Country are part of the West macro and also - with Central - part of Midwest macro. This is why these areas get Central. A licence for an HD version for Wales is licenced.

But there's absolutely no indication that Anglia HD will happen soon.

*From 1/1/15 Wales is a separate licenced ITV region. West and West Country become one - on-screen these changes have long since been made.

With regards replacing SD regions on satellite with HD- until the Broadcasting Act is amended to cover PSB HD (as is the plan), I can't see it happening..
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a516 wrote: »

With regards replacing SD regions on satellite with HD- until the Broadcasting Act is amended to cover PSB HD (as is the plan), I can't see it happening..

I don't think at present D-Sat broadcasts per se, are considered as PSB, so that would need to change too ?
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    a516 wrote: »
    For the record, ITV HD is set up according to which advertising macro region you belong to outside of London.

The northern advertising macro covers Border, Granada, Tyne Tees and Yorkshire. It is also sold to advertisers in smaller macros: Granada with Border and Yorkshire with Tyne Tees.

The apparent plan to launch ITV HD Yorkshire in the future will split northern England and the Borders reflecting the smaller macro ad regions.

Wales & West* and West Country are part of the West macro and also - with Central - part of Midwest macro. This is why these areas get Central. A licence for an HD version for Wales is licenced.

But there's absolutely no indication that Anglia HD will happen soon.

*From 1/1/15 Wales is a separate licenced ITV region. West and West Country become one - on-screen these changes have long since been made.

Does any if this have any indication of any possible launch of ITV Wales HD?

Thanks in advance for positive replies
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bizman wrote: »
    I was one of them. Needed a new TV about 4 years ago so 'HD Ready' is what I opted for.
    The picture quality is perfectly acceptable to me, although the programme content is a bit lacking at times (try finding something to watch live at 7a.m. on a Sunday morning).

What you could do is purchase a twin tuner Freeview HD hard-drive recorder. You simply plug in the aerial and then connect to the TV via a HDMI lead (£6 approx). Then you could record 1 programme in HD and watch another in HD or record 2 at once in HD (or SD) and watch another live in SD via the TV's own tuner.
  • BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What you could do is purchase a twin tuner Freeview HD hard-drive recorder.
    I may well do one day, but at the moment I have two SD PVRs and of the current HD PVRs on the market, all have limitations which, for the high cost I find unacceptable.
  • KDHKDH Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV Anglia East HD recently (Feb 2016) added to Astra 2G ITV HD mux .......broadcasting clear.
    Not yet added to Anglia East Freesat EPG's but coming soon? .............may coincide with it's arrival on Freeview???