Withheld telephone numbers

GPWGPW Posts: 3,373
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do you answer them? I find them annoying as hell. I would personally like to see them banned and ALL callers numbers should be subjected to identification to the receiver of the call.

Comments

• dslrocksdslrocks Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    Sometimes I do, depending on whether I am expecting a call from a withheld number (ie. if I have contacted an organisation).

Workplaces/schools/hospitals withhold the number or present a generic switchboard one due to the way the phone system is set up.

They've either not got a DDI or simply don't want to be called back directly on that phone, maybe it's a shared desk etc.
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand what you are saying and the reasons why, but there are sometimes good reasons for the number being withheld.

A common user of withheld numbers are banks and so are people such a Police Officers...I have customers from the Police and It's essential that they withhold their number.
  • EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    The phones hardly ever on, we just switch it on to see who's called and them switch it off again
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    You'd think in this day & age a decent sized/run company could setup a switchboard with a first line number so at least you know which company it is from, if not the individual.

There's probably an app that could link a number to a database to lookup up numbers to the company.

Obviously these are for companies who want to be known - banks etc, but aren't because of the current system.

Some individuals and nefarious companies will want to stay hidden.
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't answer calls from withheld numbers, but I don't see a point in banning them.
  • GPWGPW Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waj_100 wrote: »
    I understand what you are saying and the reasons why, but there are sometimes good reasons for the number being withheld.

A common user of withheld numbers are banks and so are people such a Police Officers...I have customers from the Police and It's essential that they withhold their number.

In the case of banks, I would have thought it's important to be able identify if it's a geniune call from originating from them.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GPW wrote: »
    Do you answer them?
    No, they don't get past my TrueCall unit. It just tells them I don't accept anonymous callers.
  • dslrocksdslrocks Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    I've never seen the reason why some banks call from a withhheld number, would it not be better if they just presented the normal generic bank number as the CLI then at least people would be more likely to believe it's the bank calling.

Most people do get quite funny about a bank calling from a withheld number, especially if it is not expected...
    Surely if your clients are in the police you'll have their number to call them on as well? I suppose if it is a direct mobile of the officer, then I can see why it's best to not release the number, esp if they're making enquiries.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dslrocks wrote: »
    I've never seen the reason why some banks call from a withhheld number, would it not be better if they just presented the normal generic bank number as the CLI then at least people would be more likely to believe it's the bank calling.
    Maybe that's why they do it - that's a risky thing to believe. It's been a pet hate of mine for a long time that banks call you then expect you to prove who you are.
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GPW wrote: »
    In the case of banks, I would have thought it's important to be able identify if it's a geniune call from originating from them.

That's a fair point!
    dslrocks wrote: »

Most people do get quite funny about a bank calling from a withheld number, especially if it is not expected...

Surely if your clients are in the police you'll have their number to call them on as well? I suppose if it is a direct mobile of the officer, then I can see why it's best to not release the number, esp if they're making enquiries.

I get calls from personal home numbers of some Police Officers, including retired ones, all are withheld. I also get calls from personal mobile phones. They wouldn't want their personal numbers available to just anyone for obvious reasons....they don't want their clients to be in touch or to know where they live.

Yes, I have personal phone numbers, but I'm well known and trusted by these people.
  • GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a blocker app on my phone that automatically block private numbers. About a year ago I was getting calls from an unknown number daily/several times a day who would ring but never say anything on the phone. It was creepy as hell and they still pop up every now and then in the blocker app.

I don't care if anyone important is trying to get in touch with me, they can unblock their number and call me, I don't accept private calls, period. While I agree its a useful tool for certain occupations I don't think the option to withhold your number should automatically come on every phone.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I never answer them.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    I don't answer withheld numbers and never will.
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    Maybe that's why they do it - that's a risky thing to believe. It's been a pet hate of mine for a long time that banks call you then expect you to prove who you are.

Its many years since my bank has phoned me!, but I am almost sure they displayed a number when they did?....... As for people ringing and me having to prove who I am I have been caught with that but I always say!, 'You have rung me, I have confirmed I am Mrs Smith say what you are ringing me for or go away!....... lol..... they obviously, because of 'security' cant say any more so they have to put the phone down!..... haha

I have learnt now never answer the phone to any number that I don't know or is a with held number, unless as someone else said I am expecting a call from somewhere like say the hospital!........
    Forum Member
    It's not only withheld numbers that are a pain in the arse. Today I had a call where the number showed, looked it up and it's a PPI claim company. They can get stuffed.
  • Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm clearly in the minority - withheld numbers really don't bother me. In the heat of the moment when the phone rings, whether it's withheld or it displays as "01234 567 890" makes no odds, as I'm not going to have time to look the number up to see who's calling before it rings off. I'll answer and then when they've identified themselves I'll decide whether I want to continue talking to them. Yes sometimes it's span, crap calls, but it's not difficult to simply hang up, and a minor inconvenience if the alternative is to miss a call from a hospital/the police regarding a family member.
    Forum Member
    If it is important, they will leave a message.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,760
    Forum Member
    I don't answer them on my mobile but haven't got a house phone that shows what number (or if it's withheld) is calling so I answer them and just put them down.

For the past probably four months now I've received a daily phone call from a company asking for Mr *my last name* who has never lived in my house or asking to speak to my boyfriend about the mortgage that I don't have anymore and he was never named on. I should get caller ID because no matter how many times I tell them to stop calling they never do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    I don't answer withheld numbers and never will.

Me as well, why would anyone:confused:
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Me as well, why would anyone:confused:
    If my spouse rings from work, it always comes up withheld due to their phone system config. So I always have to answer those in the week.
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's withheld it doesn't get answered, simple as that.
  • JakeXYJakeXY Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    I pay to block withheld numbers. A few people have complained that they can't get through, but if it's a genuine call then no one should feel the need to hide their phone number.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,908
    Forum Member
    I only answer the phone if it has a proper area code or mobile prefix

If it's withheld or begins 08 I ignore it.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    I tend to get more scammers and call centres ringing on generic bogus numbers these days rather than withheld. Presumably they are getting wind of people blocking anonymous calls. My workplace comes up as number unavailable due to the way the phone system works and not wanting people ringing our desk phones so I can't really block them anyway.

On a side note you can tell almost immediately when its something dodgy because of that pause when you answer (indicating they have dialed en-mass).
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use an answer machine to intercept. If the call is genuine, they'll leave a message.

Same with International Calls - I never answer unless it's a known number, but they would probably skype me instead as it costs nowt!