Game of Thrones Season 3 - (for those who have read ALL the Books) - SPOILERS.

Comments

• augusta92augusta92 Posts: 8,677
    Forum Member
    oh I like the TV show and I sort of liked the books......so in some respects I like some of the changes that simplify the storylines from the books, and make them more understandable...

But it does make it hard to see where the 2 link, cos to me the changes are so obvious. Im ok If I treat them as two very seperate things, !!! But it is hard to watch the TV show and end up going ...why did that character go there and do that?

In actual fact I would like Arya's storyline to be simplified somewhat, as she is one of my favourite characters and im not sure what some of the parts of her being the disciple of the Many faced god, adds to her storyline... And it looks as if the Many faced god and the red god have somehow been amalagamated.

If Gendrys storyline is changed, that will also affect Arya's

I like how the characters are developed and how you have greater sympathy for some characters as time goes on. I really like Jamie Lannister much more as time goes on, than I did initially.

But its also hard with some actors playing their characters in a much more sympathetic way on screen, like Cersai, than they come across in the books.
  • ally08ally08 Posts: 34,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cersei is a lot more sympathetic onscreen than she ever was in the books, not sure how long that is going to last though, some things are fairly unforgivable.

What makes you think the red god and the many faced god have been amalgamated?

Is it something to do with Jaquen and his returning lives to the red god?

I need to rewatch.

Jaime Lannister becomes a lot more complex and therefore sympathetic in the books, not sure it has happened in the show yet.

ETA And Sansa obviously didn't leave with the Hound so I imagine the rest continues as per the books.
  • PerpetualAscentPerpetualAscent Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    augusta92 wrote: »
    And it looks as if the Many faced god and the red god have somehow been amalagamated.

Jaqen mentions the Red God in the books too, he's probably referring to it as one face of the Many-faced God.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    zort70 wrote: »
    By the way, slightly off topic (but not completely) I have a GOT inspired faith of the seven t-shirt for sale from 10pm tonight for 24hours only -

Link to an image with the details -

Cool t-shirt, I know who 6 of them are but who is the Stranger ?
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    watching the second series, ive given up trying to relate the story line to the books....:confused:
    It had to change for tv. And so far it seems to be done quite well. I often felt Harry Potter was not adapted enough for the screen, they seemed to take a bunch of key scenes from the books and film them. Making a summary of the book rather than an adaptation of the book.
    Why has littlefinger started to appear everywhere?
    Easier exposition. It showed the discussions between the various factions that did happen in the books but often behind the scenes but in the books they could explain it but on screen you need to show it.
    Who is Robb Starks apparent girlfriend, the doctor lady...?
    Well she gave Robb a way to explain his feelings on the war and on difficulty of leadership. I can't even remember the name of the lady Robb married in the book, she played such a small role in the books that she is no lose to the series.
    Does Sansa leave the castle with the Dog character, cos if so what is going to happen about Arya and Dog character?
    She didn't go with him. There shouldn't be much change with Arya and the Hound.
    And has the religion of the house with no name been changed or adapted?
    I think they have merged all the free city religons into the Red God to make it a bit simpler. This shouldn't matter much for now. Maybe in the last few books it may be significant but probably not or GRRM would have warned the producers.
    And what is then going to happen re Littlefinger and Sansa?
    Should be much the same I expect, although we won't see this til season four.
    And they have changed the tone of Tyrion to make him appear much more of a heroic kind of character, so I cant really imagine his storyline following that of the books that closely....:confused:

I haven't noticed much difference here. Where have you seen differences? How is Tyrion more heroic on screen than in the books? I remember most of the "heroic" or honourable things from the series being in the books also. But I may have merged the two stories in my head...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen much difference from book Tyrion to screen Tyrion either.

He is pretty much a flawed hero in both.
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ally08 wrote: »
    Cersei is a lot more sympathetic onscreen than she ever was in the books, not sure how long that is going to last though, some things are fairly unforgivable.
    True, I hate her a lot more in the books. credit to the actress for bringing some sympathy to this vile character. Must be hard to play such an unlikable character. Maise (sp) gets the joy of playing Arya who everyone likes.
    But you're right, Cersei will get worse when she tries to have Tyrion executed (everyone also like Tyrion).
    Jaime Lannister becomes a lot more complex and therefore sympathetic in the books, not sure it has happened in the show yet.

Yeah, Jaime on screen seems harsher, killing his cousin to escape for one thing. But I think he will become more sympathetic from now on. Losing his hand, the rejection by Cersei when he gets to kings landing. His protecting Brienne and sending her to find Sansa will boost his character.
  • zort70zort70 Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Cool t-shirt, I know who 6 of them are but who is the Stranger ?

Thanks very much, the stranger is The Man With no Name - based on a pose of Clint Eastwood.
    Forum Member

I agree not a huge amount of difference, apart from looking a lot more handsome on screen than the books describe !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree not a huge amount of difference, apart from looking a lot more handsome on screen than the books describe !

And getting to keep his nose. ;)

I can totally understand that mind, it would be a nightmare for the make up people if they had stuck with that.

It will be interesting to see how they handle the Jaime situation.

Isn't it weird that even though this thread is clearly labelled as for being for people who have read all the books and will therefore definitely contain spoilers I still feel weird about saying things that are too spoilery.

Someone I talk to on twitter about GOTs came out with oh isn't it shocking when Tyrion marries Sansa and everyone went mental at them.

We are safe to say things like that in here aren't we?
    Forum Member
    I think the title of the thread covers us for anything we say about the current books contents.

Yes Jaime will be interesting, but he does get his golden hand so it shouldn't be too difficult.

I did wonder about Tyrion's nose as well but you are right having that much make up (or cgi) for him would be very impractical.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just realised how much I am looking forward to this series, it's my birthday next week and I'm like oh that will be 4 days to Game of Thrones.

What is everyone else looking forward to the most.

Apart from the obvious stuff I can't wait for more Brienne and Jaime, and especially the Arya stuff, can't wait for her road trip with the Hound.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Latest trailer gives us our first glimpse of the RW and unlike the book it seems Robb Stark took advantage of the Plus One on his invitation.

Goodness those dragons are growing up fast. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the title of the thread covers us for anything we say about the current books contents.

Yes Jaime will be interesting, but he does get his golden hand so it shouldn't be too difficult.

I did wonder about Tyrion's nose as well but you are right having that much make up (or cgi) for him would be very impractical.

Which is why I wonder if they'll go ahead with that plot line - like Tyrion's nose it would be a nightmare for CGI given they don't even have enough of a budget for the direwolves! I have a feeling he'll be injured but they'll stop short of him losing his hand.
  • anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shute wrote: »
    Which is why I wonder if they'll go ahead with that plot line - like Tyrion's nose it would be a nightmare for CGI given they don't even have enough of a budget for the direwolves! I have a feeling he'll be injured but they'll stop short of him losing his hand.

I think they'll still go with the lost hand, he'll just have a long ragged sleeve to cover it up most of the time until he gets back to Kings Landing and orders his gold one.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shute wrote: »

Jaime can be seen with a stump in some of the pics/videos released.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they have to go with the hand loss, it is the catalyst for all of the changes that Jaime goes through.

It is totally central to the character.

ETA Just saw your post Corwin, that is good to know.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    srhDS wrote: »
    I haven't noticed much difference here. Where have you seen differences? How is Tyrion more heroic on screen than in the books? I remember most of the "heroic" or honourable things from the series being in the books also. But I may have merged the two stories in my head...

Would totally agree with you both, I've always found Tyrion's character to be a flawed hero. He's always been my favourite because he's not perfect and he rises above all the obstacles that are constantly put in his way because of his dwarfism.
  • augusta92augusta92 Posts: 8,677
    Forum Member
    srhDS wrote: »
    It had to change for tv. And so far it seems to be done quite well.

I think they have merged all the free city religons into the Red God to make it a bit simpler. This shouldn't matter much for now. Maybe in the last few books it may be significant but probably not or GRRM would have warned the producers.

I haven't noticed much difference here. Where have you seen differences? How is Tyrion more heroic on screen than in the books? I remember most of the "heroic[/B]" or honourable things from the series being in the books also. But I may have merged the two stories in my head...

its interesting to see how differently people percieve things..because in the books I read Tyrion as more of a comic character and more of a coward ... Whose motivation is survival...at all costs....and in this it doesnt matter who or what he tramples over to achieve this...

I didnt read him as one of the central heroic characters at all, or even a particularly honourable one, he hires sellswords using his fathers money .....hides behind others, avoids conflict...etc

But the actor playing him , emphasises how sensible and intelligent he is.... which brings out more of an everyman, heroic dignity... So he becomes one of the leading and central characters to the story.

I think they have kept most of the heroic elements or flawed hero elements from the books, but...missed out some of his less appealing qualities...cos the actor himself is so powerful in the role.

and reading through comments above, I thought that Jamie when he got to kings landing was the one who rejected Cersei, and refused to have anything to do with her, not the other way about.:confused::confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the stuff between Jaime and Cersei at Kingslanding is a bit more complicated than either of them deciding to abandon the other, he starts to see her in her true colours especially after Tyrions outburst and she obviously feels that the loss of his hand has lessened him as a person.

I think a few people have commented that she wants to be him rather than be with him and the loss of his fighting prowess makes her pity him.

It's just a part of them both growing and changing as characters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw an something from GRR Martin about how they came to him with an idea to kill someone off, someone popular but not, as they saw it, massively integral to the plot, and he replied by telling them to go for it but that they would be totally unable to film the sixth book if they did.

Any idea who that was?

My initial thought was the Mountain...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any idea who that was?

My initial thought was the Mountain...

Yeah could have been the Mountain, considering that dead certainly doesn't mean dead in Westeros.

I thought it might be Bron, he is still around but not seemingly central, or even Loras.

I suppose it could be anyone really, Davos, Gendry or even Brienne.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also I finished book 5 on thursday, and therefore I would like to apologise to the rest of the country for immediatly saying "I can't wait for The Winds Of Winter"
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its interesting to see how differently people percieve things..because in the books I read Tyrion as more of a comic character and more of a coward ... Whose motivation is survival...at all costs....and in this it doesnt matter who or what he tramples over to achieve this...

I didnt read him as one of the central heroic characters at all, or even a particularly honourable one, he hires sellswords using his fathers money .....hides behind others, avoids conflict...etc

But the actor playing him , emphasises how sensible and intelligent he is.... which brings out more of an everyman, heroic dignity... So he becomes one of the leading and central characters to the story.

I think they have kept most of the heroic elements or flawed hero elements from the books, but...missed out some of his less appealing qualities...cos the actor himself is so powerful in the role.

and reading through comments above, I thought that Jamie when he got to kings landing was the one who rejected Cersei, and refused to have anything to do with her, not the other way about.:confused::confused:

I've never seen Tyrion as being a comedic character, in fact his whole story is one of rising above unmitigated tragedy. He's pretty much GRRM's "everyman" in the heart of the story with connections to all the different narrative threads running through ASOIAF, wickedly intelligent and he's actually pretty brave in the books as well.
    Peter Dinklage's performance has simply helped to clarify that Tyrion really is the "star" of the books imho :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah could have been the Mountain, considering that dead certainly doesn't mean dead in Westeros.

I thought it might be Bron, he is still around but not seemingly central, or even Loras.

I suppose it could be anyone really, Davos, Gendry or even Brienne.

I doubt it's Davos or Brienne as they're pretty central and the writers of the tv show would know that.

My thoughts on it being The Mountain are based on the Robert Strong stuff at the end of ADWD and to a lesser degree the fact that they changed the actor between series 1 and 2