Unemployed Face Work Scheme Or Sanctions

StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://news.sky.com/story/1250506/unemployed-face-work-scheme-or-sanctions

You either must sign on, every day (bit different from once a fortnight)
or do six month voluntary work

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stops scammers who are working and still claiming benefits. Don't see the problem myself.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will believe that when I see it. ;-). People who don't intend to work will have every answer in the book.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I will believe that when I see it. ;-). People who don't intend to work will have every answer in the book.

I hope as many people as possible do the best they can to subvert this vile attack on the unemployed.
    Unite assistant general secretary Steve Turner said there was no evidence that such "workfare programmes" get people into paid work in the long-term.

"We are against this scheme wherever ministers want to implement it - in the private sector, local government and in the voluntary sector," he said.

"It is outrageous that the Government is trying to stigmatise job seekers by making them work for nothing, otherwise they will have their benefits docked."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope as many people as possible do the best they can to subvert this vile attack on the unemployed.

It's not a vile attack. It makes people get off their arses and go to the job centre.

Edit, You added a bit. The Unite Union claim there are no benefits. A Labour based union would say that.

Do you have any links?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    It's not a vile attack. It makes people get off their arses and go to the job centre.

600,000 job vacancies and 3 million unemployed seeking them.

I think we have plenty of time to wait till those who don't want to work will have to work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    600,000 job vacancies and 3 million unemployed seeking them.

I think we have plenty of time to wait till those who don't want to work will have to work.

I've just checked the Unite website, they have a boycot workfare section.

It's 2.3 million unemployed.
  • christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sign on everyday? What about people like me that live in rural areas about an hour away from a job centre, where local transport has also been cut?
    It's quite mean and I don't think that would sort the problem at all around here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've just checked the Unite website, they have a boycot workfare section.

It's 2.3 million unemployed.

It that not a bigger number than 600,000?

Or did the 700,000 extra I over estimated, make it a smaller number than the 600,000 jobs available?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's called the help to work scheme, what's wrong with that?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27177767
  • daver34daver34 Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Foodbanks, free labour to big business, working tax credits instead of decent working wage, benefit sanctions.
    How long before people starve?, some out there will not be working and not claiming any benefits.
    Will the Labour party reverse policies brought in by coalition government - re-benefits if they win the next election, or will it be a manifesto promise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It that not a bigger number than 600,000?

Or did the 700,000 extra I over estimated, make it a smaller number than the 600,000 jobs available?

We've never had full employment in th UK. Some people have never worked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    We've never had full employment in th UK. Some people have never worked.

So if we've never had full employment, and we've always had more unemployed than vacancies, what does it matter if a small percentage don't work?

Or is it only OK for people to be unemployed when it suits the country?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daver34 wrote: »
    Foodbanks, free labour to big business, working tax credits instead of decent working wage, benefit sanctions.
    How long before people starve?, some out there will not be working and not claiming any benefits.
    Will the Labour party reverse policies brought in by coalition government - re-benefits if they win the next election, or will it be a manifesto promise.

Did you forget the last Labour government brought them in.

Will Labour change it, well Edd Balls claims the bankers bonus cuts will pay for everything. Believe that if you like.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    daver34 wrote: »

Labour want to force the long term unemployed into short term paid work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if we've never had full employment, and we've always had more unemployed than vacancies, what does it matter if a small percentage don't work?

Or is it only OK for people to be unemployed when it suits the country?

I doubt any country in the world has full employment.

The only thing any government can do is encourage growth and and provide employment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I doubt any country in the world has full employment.

The only thing any government can do is encourage growth and and provide employment.

Yes keep avoiding the question.

They can do that while they don't stigmatize and attack the unemployed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labour want to force the long term unemployed into short term paid work.

Cancel zero hours contracts that will increase uneployment.

Short time paid work, I wonder where the employers are. I know what he claims but has he money to pay employers to take them:confused:
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Making people sign on every day I've no objection to. I can't see a reason why I would object to it, anyway, unless they're also carers and they're needed at home, in which case they're not eligible for JSA under those terms.

I do object to any profit-making private organisation (eg Poundland) taking them on for JSA rates, because if there's enough work in the job to fit a proper 5-day week, then it's a good enough job to be paid a wage for.

Councils and government departments? I feel personally it's a bit more tricky. Yes, it still applies that if there's enough work it's fit to be paid a wage for, but they're not making a profit as such. Yet it doesn't sit well with me, even so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cancel zero hours contracts that will increase uneployment.
    :

Not much point counting people as employed if they don't earn anything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Relly wrote: »
    Making people sign on every day I've no objection to. I can't see a reason why I would object to it, anyway, unless they're also carers and they're needed at home, in which case they're not eligible for JSA under those terms. .

Someone has already posted why signing on every day will be difficult for them, e.g. those who live in rural areas and have to travel.

Even if they get travel expenses, it is unfair that they may have to spend all day getting there, when people who live closer can just pop in for 5 mins or so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes keep avoiding the question.

They can do that while they don't stigmatize and attack the unemployed.

I'm not avoiding the question. Where are these magical Labour government jobs coming from. They had 900k jobs in the public services to keep the uneployment figures down. They have gone now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not avoiding the question. Where are these magical Labour government jobs coming from. They had 900k jobs in the public services to keep the uneployment figures down. They have gone now.

You have just avoided the question yet again.

600,000 job vacancies and 2.3 mill unemployed.

SO

What does it matter if a small percentage of the 2.3 mill do not want to work?
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone has already posted why signing on every day will be difficult for them, e.g. those who live in rural areas and have to travel.

Even if they get travel expenses, it is unfair that they may have to spend all day getting there, when people who live closer can just pop in for 5 mins or so.

Yes, you're quite right, and I just read back up and saw that (missed it the first time). Maybe there should be some exceptions then, because the alternative for those in rural areas is a lot worse - having to travel back and forth every day and spend all day doing a non-paying job or to attend a daily scheme will be soul-destroying.

Or maybe they'll re-purpose the poor bloody mobile library vans they scrapped, and drive around to rural locations at set times every day so people in the country can sign on. Betcha. ;-) (I feel like a prophet!)
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so it's an even BIGGER forcing of people into the volunteer sector then?
    not by the examples they give .....
    "restore war memorials?"
    yeah everyone can do THAT!
    more garbage
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    so it's an even BIGGER forcing of people into the volunteer sector then?
    not by the examples they give .....
    "restore war memorials?"
    yeah everyone can do THAT!
    more garbage

Have we had the 'carrot' yet.

All I see is the 'stick' being used.