Options

John Clegg.

SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
You know what, I like John Clegg but one thing puzzles me.

Why was he so surprised when he had the phone call to say he was through.

Why did he think all those cameras were in his living room.??????

Comments

• Options
    a01020304a01020304 Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i did not find him funny at all
  • Options
    solace2008solace2008 Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair his act is impressions. I don't think he's a comedian. He is naturally funny - and with a combination of good comedy material along with his impressions I'm sure Jon Clegg could be very successful from the springboard of being in the Britain's Got Talent Final.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    solace2008 wrote: »
    To be fair his act is impressions. I don't think he's a comedian. He is naturally funny - and with a combination of good comedy material along with his impressions I'm sure Jon Clegg could be very successful from the springboard of being in the Britain's Got Talent Final.

I hope so.

7th place means that he can now ask for more money.
  • Options
    Tom_MullenTom_Mullen Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »

Good point. I assume that reaction was just an act, I mean it can't have been that much of a shock to him anyway regardless of the cameras it was pretty obvious he was going to get the wildcard.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That performance summed up why I absolutely don't rate him. All of his impressions are very "safe" and nothing out of the ordinary. His Dec impression is his best one, but the rest of his act is very "meh".
  • Options
    nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That performance summed up why I absolutely don't rate him. All of his impressions are very "safe" and nothing out of the ordinary. His Dec impression is his best one, but the rest of his act is very "meh".

Tell me, how many other impressionists do you know who impersonate Jenson Zhu?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    natalian wrote: »
    Tell me, how many other impressionists do you know who impersonate Jenson Zhu?

Fair play, I missed that one as I was fast forwarding, but it doesn't change my feelings about him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Still a worthy 7th.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still a worthy 7th.

Yeah, don't disagree with that. Just about his level really.
  • Options
    mrhahawiffymrhahawiffy Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon was great tonight. I thought he deserved a slightly higher placing. Hope this opens up more doors for him.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member

Yes. It's all a bit corny. He would have had a call on his mobile well before from a producer saying "You're through John but we need to bring the cameras round to do something for TV."
  • Options
    TinyMikeyTinyMikey Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    His impressions are top notch, but the material is so weak and unfunny to the point where it's all a bit awkward.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the main problem is the time constraints. I'm sure he'd be fantastic when he has longer.
  • Options
    CMcKinleyCMcKinley Posts: 3,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's got that cheesy showbizzy Butlins aura about him I despise, no edge at all. He'd make a good Rainbow presenter.
  • Options
    Rosie RedRosie Red Posts: 8,446
    Forum Member
    He's good fun and pretty original imo. His Dec is brilliant, and to do Jenson was a stroke of genius.
  • Options
    ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TinyMikey wrote: »
    His impressions are top notch, but the material is so weak and unfunny to the point where it's all a bit awkward.

Really?

I think I can do a better Ant impression than him
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,626
    Forum Member
    solace2008 wrote: »

Agree - he would have been perfect for TRV - I loved him from his first audition and he's the only one that I wanted to see again. So really glad that he was the judges choice, just wish he could have polled higher in the final. :( I'm sure he'll get lots of work around the clubs, but I'd love to see him on TV again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon is a genuinely nice guy, I work with his wife. He had a very limited time to put the final together and biased as I am I think he did brilliantly. Jensen Zhu was a stroke of brilliance and a better indicator of his wicked sense of humour than the more obvious stuff. Overall he has had a positive reaction and I hope he get some TV work out of this exposure. I'd sooner watch a half hour of him than most of the crap that passes for entertainment that is currently screened.
  • Options
    Red WimpRed Wimp Posts: 4,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he was quite good, but maybe placed about right, however one thign I would say it is much much harder to come and do an original 3 minute comedy impressiona act than it is to sing an already well known song.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    I absolutely LOVE impressionists so I really wanted to like him, but IMO there have been far better impressionists on the show in the past.

The main problem, as others have said, is his weak material. I mean, his Marge Simpson going "Homie, Homie Homie" over and over in a gravelly voice, really? And his Homer sounded nothing like Homer. Also, on his earlier 2 performances when he tried to do accents (Geordie and Scouse) he totally ruined it by pronouncing the occasional word in a really cockney way.

I think he has potential but needs to hire a decent script writer and focus on the odd few impressions that were good. Jenson Zhu was a stroke of genius to be fair.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely LOVE impressionists so I really wanted to like him, but IMO there have been far better impressionists on the show in the past.

The main problem, as others have said, is his weak material. I mean, his Marge Simpson going "Homie, Homie Homie" over and over in a gravelly voice, really? And his Homer sounded nothing like Homer. Also, on his earlier 2 performances when he tried to do accents (Geordie and Scouse) he totally ruined it by pronouncing the occasional word in a really cockney way.

I think he has potential but needs to hire a decent script writer and focus on the odd few impressions that were good. Jenson Zhu was a stroke of genius to be fair.

His Louis Walsh wasn't good either : sounded more like a Northern Ireland accent
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is refreshing.

Sick of generic singers.
  • Options
    EmolgaEmolga Posts: 47,283
    Forum Member
    As nice as it was to see something other than a singer get the wildcard slot, I wasn't a fan of John Clegg. The Dec impression was the only one he was good at, but he overused it, to the point where it was no longer funny.

If it was up to me, I would have given the wildcard slot to someone else.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw Jon Clegg, at Pontins last night & have to say that his act was hilarious, while he done some of the same stuff, he also done some adult comedy that would never be allowed on BGT.